General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Locker Room Blues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED
2005-01-05 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: Locker Room Blues
There was a huge pick up at the gym I work out at. Luckily its really nice and big so for the most part there are plenty of machines, and if not there are waiting list. My main complaint would be why do they put everyone in the locker room in the same area. There are 4 sections all with lockers, but when you go into change. Everyone is in the same one, and naked taking their time and talking to everyone who will listen. Sometimes Ill change in the next section and then come over and put my stuff in the locker. I don't have a problem changing in front of people but I have to say I don't really enjoy changing so close to the person next to me that the odds of me touching them are extremely high.

And I feel guilty, I almost want the resolutionist to give up. Or at least divide up when they are going to go. And to tell you the truth even before New Years resolutions the locker room was a problem, but not as big. Before it was just the older ladies coming in from water aerobics. They are fun, but they are slow. For them it seems like its not excercise, its social hour. I guess thats what keeps them coming back day after day. You know there are some people you always see at the gym, they are like clockwork, and if they aren't going to be there you already know where they are because they told you the last time you saw them.

I guess when it comes down to it, I like seeing more people excercise. Treating their bodies right and leading healthier lifestyles. Thats why I feel guilty.

2005-01-05 5:38 PM
in reply to: #99333

Elite
Livingston, MT
Subject: RE: Locker Room Blues
<- Begin Vent ->
Totally agree with the water aerobics part. Do those fat bags need to have their own lane and do they need a lane at that? Couldn't they "aerobicize" in the wading area of the pool? Do they have to hang on the starting block to stretch that blob out right in the middle of the frickin lane? Man, nothing pisses me off more than water aerobics.
<- End Vent ->
2005-01-05 5:49 PM
in reply to: #99338

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: Vent con't
At our club, water aerobics takes up half the pool (three lanes) and they never put the rope dividers back up. As huge as those whales are, I bet they don't burn lunch with that minimal amount of activity.
2005-01-05 7:42 PM

Sycamore, IL
"As huge as those whales are, I bet they don't burn lunch with that minimal amount of activity."
------

Bear, could you be more rude! I take my swim, bike, and run workouts seriously, and am pressed for time as we all are.
However, I think we could be more compasionate for our senior citizen friends trying to get some exercise. Last time I checked, they pay as much
to use the facility as we do.
2005-01-05 7:44 PM
in reply to: #99375

Sycamore, IL
"Do those fat bags need to have their own lane and do they need a lane at that?"
------
Wow Chucky...bad day?

2005-01-05 7:59 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
"Fat bags" and "huge ... whales"?!?  Don't hold back now boys; let us know exactly how disdainful you are of those who do not meet your exacting standards!

2005-01-05 8:00 PM

User image

Regular
Romeoville, IL
Chucky, between this post and the one on the "Supersize Me" forum, I'm beginning to think you have a screw loose.

Edited by I_tri 2005-01-05 8:01 PM
2005-01-05 9:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
I should not have read this thread. Now that I have, please let me knock your heads together. Roughly.

My mom died of lung cancer in April. Before that she suffered from rheumatoid arthritis. With all of the steroid drugs she was on, she was pretty heavy. Guess what she liked to do? Yep. Water aerobics. In short, you all have no idea what sort of health problems these folks have. Why in the world aren't you saluting them for working out? My God, I feel schizophrenic reading these boards. We have the same people criticizing thin folks who turn around and criticize heavy ones. Deal with your own treadmill woes.

Many of y'all are sounding like asses. Reread your posts. You just are.

2005-01-05 9:28 PM
in reply to: #99423

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
2005-01-05 9:36 PM
in reply to: #99338

User image

Veteran
Richmond, VA

One of the reasons I chose to start running, and cycling for that matter, was that I could do it anytime, just about anywhere, on my terms.  Swimming, just aint the same, get used to it.

Chucky and the bear, get a grip.  Replace "whale" or "fat bags" in your posts with "jew" or "woman" and I think you may see how ridiculous you both sound.

2005-01-05 9:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
I am also disappointed in the response to this thread. I thought this was a place to support those wanting to make a lifestyle change. While those who are not serious will go away from our gyms and locker rooms in the next month or two, there are some who will make a change for good. If you have ever been overweight and worked hard to lose it, you would understand the committment it takes. It takes much more work and committment than starting from where you did. I admire those who are in that shape and walk into a locker room. They have strength that many will never know. God help them reach their goals in life. I will support them and give them encouragement when I see them in the gym.

BTW, I joined a gym to add swimming to my routine last week. So, I could be considered one of those "resolutionist". However, there is one difference in me an most of them - I've been working out for months before joining the gym. The gym is just a supplement to my normal routine. I just hope that those who are critical in this thread do not workout in my gym.

2005-01-05 10:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Oviedo, FL
wow...I can say i am truly dissapointed of how some responded to this thread...*where to begin* on the comment of "heavier people" I would just like to say that you don't know what medical conditions they have and you know what? We as a community of athletes should be happy that someone is actually taking the initiative to try to take on a healthier lifestyle. And yay for the seniors trying to stay active. You know what's really sad? My mom is actually afraid of swimming in public (she's a little on the heavy side b/c of med. cond. but does train w/ me) b/c of what people will say or think and you know what? I actually didn't think that people thought this way...how sad.
2005-01-05 11:24 PM

User image

hmmmmm.... I have about 30 pounds to lose. After already losing 30. I always thought the gym was the place to go do that, ........Sure glad I don't work out in those gyms where you have to be thin just to get in (or at the least not be ridiculed). There might be a few people on this board that fit into your category of "whales" and such, but they're out they're trying.

add my name to the list of disappointed. This is the first I've read of this type of post on this board.

Edited by ChrisM 2005-01-05 11:25 PM
2005-01-05 11:30 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Man, some of you guys are terrible. I hate it when they (water aerobics or any class for that matter) jump in early or go over, but come on you guys, this is horrible. I don't even know what to say it's so bad.

Karma's a b*tch sometimes...Be careful...
2005-01-06 12:15 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

very disappointing...what a motivation killer...i see the original posters intent and there is not a problem with that IMHO...basically a rant on the 'crowded quarters' of januarys gym...i sometimes feel guilty too on this as im used to a graveyard and getting things when i want for 11/12'ths of the year...im guilty, im selfish and have a routine.  also im sure the gym counts probably 90% of there members to have inactive memberships - so they can spend less money on facilities/better accomodations in 'peak' season.

but a few of the other posts following? com'on...i realize they represent a very small fraction of the active users thoughts, but this is not what the intent of the board is about...its about encouragement and helping to motivate the resolutionists so they don't become resolutionists again! 

problem solved. 

motivation is the only reason why i even started this site as thats the first hurdle in doing and sustaining any healthy regimen.  comments like these arent welcome as the 'type of people' that were rudely commented about are my prime concern.   if your already fit and active and never had weight issues...thats cool too - we have some good stuff here for you and will have even better stuff for you in a few months BUT for those making these inappropriate comments and may have never had a weight issue...just put yourself in their shoes for a week.  it aint easy, many dont want to be overweight - it can come from a family death and deep depression that leads to overweight - as one example...it's not easy to stop the cycle.

this site is here and hopefully will remain overwhelmingly positive for those needing something to break whatever cycle that is preventing them for better health.

my apologies to those offended by this thread...im not going to remove it as i hope those lurkers out there wanting to change there lifestyle will see that every 'society' is not perfect (BT) and people are people and there is no way around that - but by and large we r a good bunch of people to hang out with.

happy new year!

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Locker Room Blues Rss Feed