Max Performance
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 44s
Overall Rank = 120/232
Age Group = F3539
Age Group Rank = 9/17
Pre-race routine:

Ate a piece of toast with jelly about 2 hours beforehand. Drank a bunch of water the previous day. Had some gels right before the race start. Arrived at the race site really early to get a good spot in the transition area.
Event warmup:

None. :)
Swim
  • 11m 7s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not as cold as I expected. Had difficulty with breathing, wasn't sure why. A combination of the cold, swimming faster than usual, and the excitement of the race, probably. Ended up hyperventilating, so very dizzy/disoriented at the end of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Train faster so I can get used to race breathing. I tend to train at endurance pace, and do very little 'spring' pacing in the pool, so I didn't know how to control my breathing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Didn't try the shoes on bike thing. I put the shoes on while stationary. Wetsuit got really stuck on my feet/timing bracelet, despite using body glide. Don't know how to make this go faster.

Slit backs of wet suit ankles? :)
Bike
  • 40m 56s
  • 11.8 miles
  • 17.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Went pretty hard and fast in the bike. Maybe a little too hard considering what happened in the transition to the run, but it felt good and was fun. I kept taking turns too fast and ending up going really wide.

Again, I should probably do some training faster than I had been, to practice turns and prepare for races. Race pace was average about 1 full mph faster than training pace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Got my leg caught on my seat dismounting....bad bruise and a bit embarrassing in front of the big crowd...at least I didn't fall!! Tying shoes was a bit fumble-fingered.

Maybe I'll get some lock-laces.
Run
  • 23m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Bad transition from biking. I took the biking too hard maybe, or maybe I was just tired...I actually had to walk a bit at the beginning on the first uphill (about 20 steps). I tried to drink a bit at an aid station in the run, but managed to choke on the water...oops! But still...holy shit, I broke 25 minutes for the first time EVEN in a 5K, and it was after the swim and the bike. I didn't even know I COULD run a better than 25 minute 5K!!!!!

Drink more, take gels on the bike, work out more, run faster in work outs now that I know I can.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of walking, massage. Drank a lot, ate a cheeseburger. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Huh??? Faster???? This WAS faster!!!!!

Event comments:

This was my first every triathlon. I finished, I didn't come in last. In fact, I took second in the female newbie division. I'm feeling pretty good about it, and looking forward to the next one.

Last updated: 2008-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:07 | 440 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 117/232
Performance: Good
Suit: 3 Mil scuba
Course: Rectangular course around buoys
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:56 | 11.8 miles | 17.30 mile/hr
Overall: 124/232
Wind: Some
Course: Loop course down to Southville road, out to Ashland center, back up hills to Hopkinton center, then down a very fun hill and some rolling hills back to the park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:56 | 03.1 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 147/232
Course: Up hill away from reservoir, down hill to right, quick out/back turnaround to an uphill, across the dam, a beach and to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-13 8:29 AM

Subject: New England Season Opener

2008-05-13 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1398669

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: New England Season Opener
Great job.  I had the same problem in the water as you did.  Awesome job on the bike.  Are you sure this was your 1st.
2008-05-13 12:32 PM

I live near the race course (really near), and did a bunch of training on the bike course itself...I think it made a huge difference in being able to do the hills well! 
2008-05-13 1:06 PM

After reading everyone else's race reports, I'm wondering if the race organizers mismeasured the race course, since it seems that everyone was posting PR's on this and dubious about the length!  I know they changed the course last minute, and I certainly didn't think I could run a 5K that fast.  Kind of sad to think I didn't, but it was still a great race even if it wasn't a 5k!!!
2008-05-13 9:48 PM

Uxbridge
It was a PR for me and I am not a fast runner AT ALL! I do think that the run course was way off. I also think the swim was a bit longer than 400
2008-05-13 10:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA

Way to go on the race! I had my Garmin and had the run course at about 2.7 +.  It's been pretty accurate, so I figured it is right.  Otherwise, I cut about 6 min of my personal best, and given that it is a TRI instead of a straight run, that was unlikely.  BUT, it is all relative, so as long as you felt good, that's all that matters!

Great Job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Season Opener Rss Feed