General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bunion surgery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-16 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: bunion surgery
Anybody had bunion surgery and how long did it really took for recovery? I work on my feet and plan to get back in training asap. It's painful right now, and after getting orthodics from the good feet store, it helped but afterwards i feel the pain especially in my 3rd toe. numbness etc. ice helps and relieving gel. I have IMLP this summer and my podiatrist is using different methods for now, like cortizone injection, pads etc.

I hope for the least amount of recovery but i know i have to be realistict.'

Nathalie

2008-05-17 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1407640

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Subject: RE: bunion surgery

I had bunion surgery in 1993 on both feet at the same time. I was a wheelchair for 6 weeks. I had all my 10 toes broken and straightened. 2 weeks after the surgery they removed all my stitches and put my feet in casts. 6 weeks after that casts were removed. It took me a long time just to get used to walking again and I had to wear these special shoes (urgh).  My doctor encouraged me to swim (Something he didn't have to do at all!!)  to get good circulation back into my feet and also to help with my ankles swelling.  It was a slow process but the swimming really helped with my recovery and the after effects were amazing! I could finally fit into normal shoes instead of wearing mens shoes. 

If they are bothering you I suggest taking a season off and having it done. They may do it differently now - not sure - and maybe recovery time will vary for you. My feet were really quite bad and probably your toes won't need broken like mine did.  

2008-06-02 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
I had each foot done back in '99 (couple months apart) and then a semi-bunionoctomy in 2005.  The first two I wore the short shoe/boot for about 6 weeks and then it was just a matter of the swelling going down enough to get back into sneakers.  Unfortunately, at that time my podiatrist told me "NO RUNNING" so therefore I did not run.  Fast forward almost 10 years and running is the hardest thing I have to do.  The latest surgery turned into cyst removal but I had the calf high walking boot for about 6 weeks.  Don't expect to be back running, especially on hard surfaces very quickly (obviously don't wait 10 years like me!).  Depending on the HW they have to use will probably determine your recovery period.
2008-06-02 7:05 PM
in reply to: #1439987

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
kmanus - 2008-06-02 7:38 PM

I had each foot done back in '99 (couple months apart) and then a semi-bunionoctomy in 2005.  The first two I wore the short shoe/boot for about 6 weeks and then it was just a matter of the swelling going down enough to get back into sneakers.  Unfortunately, at that time my podiatrist told me "NO RUNNING" so therefore I did not run.  Fast forward almost 10 years and running is the hardest thing I have to do.  The latest surgery turned into cyst removal but I had the calf high walking boot for about 6 weeks.  Don't expect to be back running, especially on hard surfaces very quickly (obviously don't wait 10 years like me!).  Depending on the HW they have to use will probably determine your recovery period.

Had a bunion surgery while I was in college. Bunion removed, big toe broken and set with pins. This was over Christmas break. By mid-March (spring break) I was able to go downhill skiing. Wasn't a runner then so I'm not sure how long before that is ok. Hope you can make it through LP, because I think you are too close to the race to risk the surgery and loss of training time.

2008-06-02 9:39 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
I had one foot (big toe) done back in 95. At the time, I was having lots of pain and driving more than 30-45 mins would become so painful that I'd switch out feet on the gas pedal. The surgery wasn't bad but I developed a slight infection within a few days and then suffered the worst pain I've ever had. But, they fixed me up and then it was a piece of cake. I had the walking boot. I couldn't drive for weeks since I drove a standard but the recovery wasn't bad. However, one caveat from my perspective ---- if you do it, realllly work on the flexibility exercises. They hurt at the time but are so important for long term reasons. I have lost some flexibility and also to this date, there is a spot where I don't feel anything on my toe too. The flexibility is an issue for xcountry skiing and running to an extent now but orthotics have helped immensely!
2008-06-04 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line

My husband had this done in 2004 while in the army - but with civilain doctors (not that that matters).  He was in a boot for 6 weeks, couldn't drive sicne he had a stick car and it was his left foot and didn't run for another 4 months.  however, between the boot coming off and being able to run we transitioned to civilian life and job and he worked on his feet all day.  I believe that (standing on feet all day so soon after surgery) has lead to the position he finds himself in today - he now has nerve damage on the bottom of foot beneath the toe he had done.  He goes to the VA ever 6 weeks for cortizone injections and they are considering another round of surgery - for what I don't know as they have yet to fully explain why his foot hurts so.

FWIW My suggestion - carefully get back into any training routine with your surgeons guidance.

2011-11-20 12:05 PM

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie
Just had Bunion surgery on both feet two weeks ago. Virtually painless in my case. Doctor explained that the bunoin surgery techniques have continued to evolve and change over the past 10-20 years. What was once surgery followed by a hospital stay of 3-4 days to manage pain, has become same day surgery (in my case 1.5 hours) and pain meds. I took pain meds for a few days anticipating pain, but stopped because I didn't like the narcotic feel. Still no pain. Ibuprofen to manage swelling and wearing the silly boots for a few weeks now. Stitches out in a few days and walking in tennis shoes. My plan is to start swimming soon and continue to focus on light upper body weights. Holding back on any active running for at least 6-8 more weeks to make sure I don't do anything stupid. Long-term I'm glad I did surgery now and did both feet at once.
2011-11-26 7:40 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Thanks for bringing this thread up. I have bunions, worse on right foot. Mine are most likely a result of lots of running with poor ankle strength (too much flopping around in the ankle area) from what I've been told.

They don't hurt at all, but I do notice that it is starting to affect my running with footfall and positioning, and in general my foot rolls to the outside a lot now.

Do you guys think this is any reason to consider surgery? Or does it make more sense to wait until/if I start having pain?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bunion surgery Rss Feed