General Discussion Race Reports! » Jemez Mountain Trail Runs (50 Mile) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jemez Mountain Trail Runs (50 Mile) - RunUltra Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Los Alamos, New Mexico
United States
www.highaltitudeathletics.org
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 21m
Overall Rank = 18/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel
Event warmup:

No warmup necessary.
Run
  • 11h 21m
  • 50 miles
  • 13m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

An awesome race if you want a really challenging run at high elevation. The race started on single track along town and then climbed up and over Guaje Ridge. I cruised the single track and powered up the hill. After that we dropped quickly into Guaje Canyon. I tried to run fast down this section, but one bad step would result in a nasty fall down the steep hill side. Once in Guaje Canyon, I climbed the ladder over the dam and jogged uphill to the base of Caballo Mountain. The climb up Caballo Mountain went well until I hit fresh snow leftover from a late spring snow. The footing was not too bad as the snow offered pretty good traction. Once on top of Caballo mountain, I regained my breath and enjoyed the views for a moment. It was slow going down at first because of the snow. A runner in front of me slipped off the side of the trail. Once I got below snow line, I opened it up and made good time back down into Guaje Canyon. The way to Pipeline Road went quickly except for the step switchbacks out of Guaje Canyon. From Pipeline I dropped into the Caldera on a steep, loose, and slippery slope. But after that is was quick running through the Caldera on a dirt road. Leaving the Caldera was all off trail. There were huge grass clumps to navigate and then the climb to Cerro Grande at an elevation of over 10,000 feet. I navigated downed trees, scree slopes, and slick terrain on the way up. From the top of Cerro Grande are great views. The descent off of Cerro Grande was extremely treacherous because of snow. The heat of the day had turned the snow into slippery slush. I almost ate dirt a couple of times on this decent. After descending more than 2000 feet the last climb was ahead. This climb is around 2,500 feet and goes to the top of the Pajarito Ski Area at 10,400 feet. I made good time until the ski area because the ascent is not too steep. Once at the ski area things slowed. I just got into a grove and worked my way up. Snow in the trees forced the descent to drop directly down a black diamond run. My legs felt dead when I got down to the ski lodge aid station, but there was only 11 miles to go! From here it is mostly down hill to the finish so I ran most of the way back. I guess that I must be crazy because this was a tough but fun race.
What would you do differently?:

Train for hills a little more.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled around the finish area and tried to stretch my legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training.

Event comments:

This is an excellent race, but it is hard.

Last updated: 2008-02-02 12:00 AM
Running
11:21:00 | 50 miles | 13m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Mountain trail race with over 12k of elevation gain. Three climbs to over 10,000 feet in elevation. Sections of technical single track and about 7 miles of cross country. Fresh snow above 9,500 feet.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-18 2:19 PM

Veteran
Vienna, Austria (temporarily)
Subject: Jemez Mountain Trail Runs (50 Mile)

2008-05-19 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1409330

User image

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Subject: RE: Jemez Mountain Trail Runs (50 Mile)

I don't know what motivate you and I think it's a bit  crazy but I respect the fact that you do and enjoy it

Laughing

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jemez Mountain Trail Runs (50 Mile) Rss Feed