United States
F.I.R.M. Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 53s
Overall Rank = 122/224
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30, left just after 6:00, arrived at race site at 6:30. Check-in was open, but they had not started bodymarking and the racks were not numbered yet. So, I got my bike set up (filled aero bottle, attached number, clipped shoes into pedals, etc.) off to the side. Hung out with some folks from Dreamfar and Landry's (my team and club), got bodymarked, set up transition once the racks were numbered, then went inside to line up for the start.
Swim
  • 04m 18s
  • 250 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall the swim went pretty well, and I managed to take 4 seconds off last year's time. I swam a pretty steady pace until the last 50 yards, at which point there was another swimmer closing in on me. I managed to hold him off and get out of the pool first.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

T1 went very well. My rack was the furthest from the exit, so I had a bit of a run. Because of this, I decided to try a "modifed" running mount that I've practiced a few times. It worked well, and I was able to get out of T1 and up to speed pretty quickly.
Bike
  • 29m 31s
  • 9.3 miles
  • 18.90 mile/hr
Comments:

When I hopped on the bike after T1 I went to start my Garmin, but realized that I had forgotten to turn it on. So, I just rode based on my watch and estimated how far along I was. As the course was largely an out-and-back with a small loop at the end, I felt pretty comfortable pacing my effort. The only other mishap occurred when I lost one of my waterbottles and had to double back to get it, adding perhaps 45 seconds to my time.

Not having my Garmin to monitor my pace, I was pleased to have averaged nearly 19mph given the number of hills. Doing so I also took 2:11 off last year's time.
What would you do differently?:

Remember to turn Garmin on during transition set-up.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

T2 went great as well. I took my feet out of my shoes with about 150 yards left, then hopped off at the dismount point and ran to my rack. I put my visor and running shoes on, then grabbed my number belt and put it on as I was running out of the transition area.
Run
  • 34m
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

The run took its toll on my legs, which felt heavy from the start. There was one water stop which you passed on the way out and the way back, so I slowed down a bit to drink some water and pour some over my head.

Compared to last year, my time improved by 1:36.
Post race
Warm down:

After the race I caught up with my clubmates from Landry's (most of whom finished before me) and my teammates from Dreamfar (who finished after me). Had some water and food, then checked the results. In the preliminary results I was first overall in the Clydesdales, so I made plans to stick around for the awards ceremony. In the next results updated I had slipped to third, then fourth in my division. By this point the Landry's folks were making plans to go get some brunch, so I packed up and headed out.

Event comments:

Looking at my performance today I have mixed emotions. I'm pleased that my swim/bike/run times improved, and that I took almost 4 minutes off last year's time. However, I'm disappointed to not have placed in my division. I didn't think going in to the race that I might place, but when I saw that "1" next to my name everything changed. After that, I was more disappointed about not being 1st than I was about being 4th (as of when I left).

Last updated: 2008-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:18 | 250 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 72/224
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 5-lane pool, swim in a zig-zag fashion, swimmers starting (fastest to slowest) every 20 seconds
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:31 | 9.3 miles | 18.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 55/224
Wind:
Course: Lollipop shaped course, good size rolling hills, not too much traffic. Some sections were smooth, but some were pretty rough.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:00 | 03.2 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 174/224
Performance: Average
Course: Lollipop-shaped course, rolling hills, mainly through a residential area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-18 6:11 PM

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA
Subject: Lions Spring Sprint Triathlon

2008-05-18 6:44 PM
in reply to: #1409569

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA
Subject: RE: Lions Spring Sprint Triathlon
As of 7:45pm, official results have not been posted by the race organizers.
2008-05-19 1:31 AM
in reply to: #1409622

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-19 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1409622

Expert
Framingham, MA

scott - 2008-05-18 7:44 PM As of 7:45pm, official results have not been posted by the race organizers.

OK, so the results have been posted, and now I am truly disgusted with myself.  I had the fastest damn swim time and fastest damn bike time in my division, and I still came in fourth!  Why?  Because I cannot run worth a damn!

Ugh.

http://www.firm-racing.com/result_report.asp?RID=582&type=4&cat=Clydesdale

2008-05-19 2:47 PM

Pro
MA

Hey, sorry for the disappointment.  But congrats on the PR!

It's not about winning.  You're doing really well!

2008-05-19 4:55 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome job taking 4 minutes off your time!! YAY YOU  I think comingin 4th is TOUGH!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lions Spring Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed