General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochester Spring Classic F-1 Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rochester Spring Classic F-1 Duathlon - F-1 Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rochester, New York
United States
Yellow Jacket Racing
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 49m 10s
Overall Rank = 39/87
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Didn't get much sleep last night. Mostly because I've fallen back into my old late-to-bed habits again. I showered to wake myself up, dressed and ate raisin bran without milk. Didn't want any more dairy in me after all of the ice cream I ate last night too. Drank some coffee and left for the race at about 7:30. Decided on biking shorts and a long-sleeve tech shirt under a cycling shirt for some warmth. Wore my new Nike trail running shoes.
Event warmup:

Chugged some water on the way down. Arrived about 5 'til 8. Set up transition and did several short runs around the site and some stretching. I was missing my "group" of BTer's. I was lonely.....
About 20 minutes to start, I ate a package of shot blocks and took in more water. The event was pretty much on time. Started a minute or two after 8:30.
Run
  • 15m 51s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I just need to learn to start up front. Too many people to zig-zag in front of. As usual, a problem of mine. Found a steady pace and maintained it. I felt OK, but it seemed long. The hills didn't seem too bad on this round.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to front. I also noticed the number of people off to each side and as soon as they hear "go" they sprint at kind of a diagonal right up to the front! Need to keep that in mind.
I might have gone a little too fast on this first run. I wanted more of an 8 min mile pace.
Transition 1
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

This went as smoothly as I could have wanted considering it's the first shoe change I've ever done. Slipped off my trail shoes and was into my cycling shoes very easily. Helmet on and took bike off of rack with no problems. It's awkward running with the shoes on. As soon as I crossed the mounting line, I was able to clip my first foot in ok, and then had to pedal a bit up the parking lot before I got the other one in.
Before the race I got my shoes tied just right where they were comfortable to run in, but loose enough to slip off and on (don't have the Yankz).

Not sure. I need to get used to the feel of running in my cycling shoes. It feels pretty wobbly.
Bike
  • 33m 9s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.10 mile/hr
Comments:

The first half of the bike was very difficult. Hard to get breathing under control after the run, and everything just seemed hard. My gears still don't go low enough for me to spin up hills. A few times, I moved the front gear down to the small ring, but I tried to keep it in the big ring most of the time. I just stood up when I needed to push it up a hill. Took the turns pretty fast, but any sort of gravel in the road makes me nervous. I REALLY need to get a proper bike fitting! My hands went numb on both the rides. It's so distracting and uncomfortable. I wonder how much the fitting could have improved my times?
For the entire ride it was me and the same woman from every other race who exchanges leads back and forth with me. It lasted pretty much the entire 10 miles. We dismounted and ran into transition together.

Everything needs improvement - my cycling shape, the ease with which I clip in/out, my shifting. Mostly my cycling shape.
And I need a bike fitting.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

The dismount was not so smooth. Unclipped ok, but then swinging my foot around to get off the bike was an issue - the back of my cycling shorts hooked onto my seat. Minor inconvenience. It's really not easy running on pavement in cycling shoes after a difficult ride. Not easy at all.
I beat the other woman out of transition, though!

I just need to get used to dismounting and running in the darn shoes.
I think for a split second I almost tried to start running off in my bike shoes.
Run
  • 08m 13s
  • 1 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I carried an 8 oz. bottle of an electrolyte drink with me and managed to drink it all a little at a time. I didn't feel (too) bad on this run. I just kept reminding myself to run my own race, and not worry about who was in front or behind me. This is where I began to think about what if I'd actually trained and tapered for this race. Maybe next year.

Nothing. This all went pretty smoothly. I don't think I should have tried to go any faster. It would have ruined me for the rest of the race.
Transition 3
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

I think I almost tried to put my helmet on backwards here... Figured it out right away, though.
I had more difficulty clipping in to my shoes this time than last.

Put helmet on right the first time. Get better at clipping in.
Bike
  • 34m 4s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Still tough with most of the same issues, but it seemed a little easier. I think it's because the woman I had been constantly trying to pass was nowhere anymore. I was able to think about other things. It really seemed to go by a lot faster. I just stood and mashed it up all of the hills. So happy my chain stayed on.

Not much. Just train more.
Transition 4
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

This went well enough. Nothing stands out. My fastest transition of the day.

nothing
Run
  • 15m 6s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where I felt bad. I read last year's RR and I said I had fun on this run. Well not this year. But I still did relatively well. There was one girl I passed on the 2nd run, who just ZOOMED by me on the 2nd bike. I wish I could do that.... But she is a terrible runner. I passed her on this last run less than 1/2 way through. Then I eventually got sight of another girl waaaayyyy in front of me. I never thought I'd catch her, but, with probably less than a 1/2 mile left, there she was! I thought about holding back until a sprint off to the end (to surprise her ;-) ) but just passed her as soon as I got right with her. Then, of course, immediately after I passed her there was a guy right there coaching/cheering her on! WTF?!?! NOT NOW!!! I did not like this turn of events.... I just pretended he was there for me. He said something to her to the effect of looking up and lifting her knees (?) Anyway, I did whatever he said and just kicked it into gear certain that she would use that motivation to pass me. (But then when I think about it and I think if my husband told me what to do at that point in the race, I'd probably punch him in the face. So maybe it did work in my favor.) :-)
I love that I can run uphills pretty good. And I DID concentrate on going downhills faster too. The girl never caught me. I beat her by 36 seconds. A guy sprinted to the finish and I tried to give him a run for his money, but at that point I didn't care. I was DONE.

Nothing.
Oh, wait! I was HOTTER THAN HELL on this run! The sun came out and suddenly my idea of long sleeves under my bike shirt was an awful idea. I kept lifting up my top shirt to give me more ventilation, and even entertained the idea of stripping down. But since it was a short run, I decided to suffer through.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little and drank water. Talked to Rob and the kids! Rob took some good pictures of me, I need to upload them soon!
That last girl I passed introduced herself to me (Karin). She asked which AG I was in and was glad I wasn't in hers! :) Then a woman friend of hers showed up (non-racer) and Karin says "Yeah, this is the girl that passed me, the little shit!" Ha! She's my kinda woman! ;)
Karin encouraged me to attend the R/B/R's with RATS. She also encouraged me to join Moms In Motion.... I was polite about that, but have no intention on doing that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to get better on the BIKE!!!

Event comments:

This is a good race. Great course, well organized. Wish more people did it!

Last updated: 2008-04-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:51 | 02 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/87
Performance: Average
Course: 9/10ths of this is a trail run. Very hilly in spots.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:33:09 | 10 miles | 18.10 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind
Course: Rolling hills in and out of park
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:08:13 | 01 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: 1/2 of the first run. Still the awful last 2 hills, though.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T3
Time: 00:44
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:34:04 | 10 miles | 17.61 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind
Course: Same loop
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T4
Time: 00:36
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Running
00:15:06 | 02 miles | 07m 33s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Same as first run
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-18 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Rochester Spring Classic F-1 Duathlon

2008-05-18 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1409605

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Rochester Spring Classic F-1 Duathlon

GREAT JOB, KAMERON!!!!!!

You pushed it very hard!  You're too competitive for you own good!!! 

Your biking was pretty strong!  Much stronger than you realize.  And it will only get better as you get in more miles.  You're gonna be really tough to beat!!!!

Edited by Ridgelake 2008-05-18 7:31 PM
2008-05-18 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Wow nice job!  That's my way to do hills mash up them!  I think your biking was pretty strong, you even unclipped without falling over Smile.  I have a triathlon at the beginning of June...I am still not certain I am going to clip in. 

Super job on the race.

2008-05-18 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Next year we or someone will be there with ya.  GREAT JOB! 
2008-05-19 3:56 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great job Kam, you don't give yourself enough credit.  You did awesome for an early season race and the first on the new bike.  Your bike times are only going to get better as you get more comfortable with the bike and the clipless shoes.

And if you keep lifting your shirt and flashing the crowds, you'll have most every male on this sight there to support you

2008-05-19 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
err.... your bike averages look pretty good to me.  Improvement on last year is great 5 mins is big.  Congratulations

2008-05-20 8:08 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-21 1:08 AM

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Excellent job on the race. It sounded like a fun race. You're smoking fast!  Keep on keeping on.
2008-05-21 9:19 AM

Expert

Congratulations on another podium finish. Also well done meeting your time goal on both bike segments. It's hard at this time of year to get the clothes right because even if it's cold in the morning, it warms up really fast. You'll get used to running in your bike shoes. One of the many little things I like about races is hearing everybody clip clop through transition.

Another great race for you!!

Edited by amschrod 2008-05-21 9:20 AM
2008-05-21 9:25 AM

Champion
Fairport, NY

Yay for running faster down hills!

I'm doing a R-B-R workout with the RATS the next time it's nice on a Tuesday.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochester Spring Classic F-1 Duathlon Rss Feed