The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 19m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Men's Relay
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:20, took the dog out, grabbed my stuff and a Clif bar and drove over to the park. Took a bit to get parked and then I went over and got body marked. I did not get to meet up with Richard and Nathan, so I just went into the transition area and set up my stuff and relaxed eventually watching the sea of people going through transition and cheering them on as they went by to start the bike.
Event warmup:

When they announced the relay wave was starting the swim (along with the Clydes) I started to get ready. Shoes on, helmet and glasses on and stretched a little. Some of the other relayers had brought trainers but I decided to go out cold and take the first few miles to get loosened up since it is a bit of light rolling and downhills.
Swim
  • 19m 51s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

From my perspective I think Richard had a superb swim as he came out of the water 3rd for all the relayers. Not bad for a 53 year old guy!! ;)
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Waved my hand when I saw Richard come through the arch from the swim and since we were all the way in the back next to the bike exit he had to run up to me

I was already fully dressed and ready with everything on and as soon as he got to me I took off the chip band, pit it on and took off.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe meet him at the middle of the transition area so he wouldn't have to run to the back? But that would then mean I'd still have to run out of the transition with my shoes on to get out of the bike out area. Probably nothing really ..... it went well I believe. And our T1 time was solid.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 28s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 23.35 mile/hr
Comments:

This is my course ...... I ride it almost every week, I know every climb, turn, bump, descent and road surface. I know where I can push it and where to just hold it back enough to get the most speed out of a section. I was on autopilot when it came to where I was going and could just concentrate on going as fast as possible to build on Rich's swim time.

I caught the two people who went out ahead of me from the relay within the first 5 miles of the ride. One within the first mile! The other a bit further along (his swimmer is legendary in the area and is still only a teenager .... the kid has a bright future!!) I flew on 108 until the turn down Homewood and worked the downhill there going around 40. I was concerned about the fact that almost 2,000 people were ahead of me, but there were only minor sections where I got caught up in traffic and only had to slow down a few times to avoid crossing the yellow line or running into people.

I love the middle section of the course from when you pass the roundabout and head to he back side. This is the place on the Tuesday night rides where I just fly and this race was no exception. I worked every hill out of the saddle and kept my gearing just where it should be. As soon as I'd crest a hill it was right back into the aero position to get back up to speed.

I only had two sketchy areas. One was at the bottom of Triadelphia before making the turn to go up the big hill where a guy had wiped out badly and there was an ambulance and policeman slowing things down. I was descending at about 40, it had just started to lightly sprinkle and there were a few riders ahead in my way. I had to slow down to less than 20 to get by there and commented to the lady I passed how much it sucked for the guy. He was on a stretcher and had a neck brace and his face was completely road rashed. :(

The second one came on the main return up Homewood where there was a car in the road going the pace of the riders around. Of course I was 5 - 10 mph faster than that and after getting just by the car I had to go off of the road and into the gutter and grass briefly to get by a lady who also had just passed the car. A bit freaky, but got through clean and kept pushing.

When I turned back onto 108 I just got on the rivet and pushed as hard as I could!! Snot was flying, I was spitting a bit and just frickin' hammered! At some point I passed CJ (Dlaxman31) and heard him call out but I was just in a zone and flying.

Turned into the park - but gingerly since the roads were slick - and dismounted cleanly to get back into transition.

Cut it loose just a little bit more on the hills, try to avoid cars and other cyclist and not back off the speed. Ummmm, train more on the bike!!!!

Without the accident I passed and the slick roads towards the end I could have gone about a minute faster. My bike split was the 23rd fastest out of the ENTIRE field including pros, and I went off in slightly windier and wetter conditions than the rest of the fast guys did. but obviously I didn't have to run afterward so I had the advantage of being able to go almost all out. But honestly, I ride every ride in a triathlon full tilt so I don't think it would have been much different in a stand alone tri. ;)
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Went along the inside part of the racks and fence to save some time. I yelled to Nathan that I was coming and I was the first relayer back into transition. He got the timing band off, put it on and I encouraged him to go!

Great transition. Some of the other relayers later were smart in that they met just after coming into the transition and not at the bike rack like I did. That could have cut out :30 or so easily. Next time I do a relay I'll remember that!
Run
  • 51m 45s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I did not know at all what sort of runner Nathan would be, so I tried to build on the lead that Richard had given me and give Nathan every opportunity to stay in front as long as he could. I knew that there were some of the fastest local mid-distance runners (we're talking stand alone 30 - 32 minute flat course 10k'ers here) doing the relay for other teams so knew we'd need as much cushion as possible to stay in the hunt.

I think he did great and saw him coming in the last few hundred meters.
Post race
Warm down:

After the bike I sat down for waiting to see where we stood with the other cyclists. The second fastest cyclist came in just a minute or two after me but he was with a co-ed group as well as the one after a few minutes later. I then threw on my shoes and decided to go for a short easy brick recovery and did 2 miles around the lake and caught up and ran with CJ (Dlaxman31) for a little bit encouraging him.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Barely 300 miles on the bike for the season??? And less than 400 total since IMFL in November???

Event comments:

Great race, great result and great times! I knew the course like the back of my hand, knew every turn, every hill, what gears I could push wear and every downhill I could make up time. This sort of ride is suited to me and let's me play on my strengths very well. I felt awesome at the end and even though I probably could have pushed it a little tiny bit more I would not have gained much overall.

And we got hardware to boot! 3rd place men's relay!! Considering the disparity in our runner's time to the guys who got 1st and 2nd, we did awesome all around as a group and showed that it takes a good solid team effort to place well and not just one fast person. I think I like this relay stuff! ;)

Last updated: 2008-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:51 | 1640 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Counterclockwise loop through the lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:28 | 25.48 miles | 23.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 23/
Performance: Good
No HRM since I still can't find it after the Boston trip.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Loop through Howard County. This is my "backyard" and I ride portions of the course on most of my rides.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:45 | 06.21 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Loop around the park and into the adjoining neighborhoods. Hilly.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-19 10:34 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2008-05-19 10:42 AM
in reply to: #1410748

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon
Sweet ride Rick!  Nice to just hammer without having to get wet beforehand, huh? 
2008-05-19 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Great ride - that is flying on that course.
2008-05-19 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Great job Rick. I was looking for you in transition to introduce myself. I thought I had found your bike but didn't see you around. I believe it was the only one in the relay area with Zipp wheels.
2008-05-19 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1410861

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Yes, I think it was.  There was another guy who had a Renn disk (he set the second fastest split in the relay just a few tenths of a mph behind my average) that was racked right near my bike.
2008-05-19 11:18 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-05-19 11:54 AM

Champion

Amazing Job Rick.

Talk about having a home course advantage.   

2008-05-19 4:15 PM

Expert
Northern VA

It was good seeing you on Saturday too.

Nice ride, you just hammered! Great work!

2008-05-19 4:54 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Way to work it man.  Home course advantage always helps.  Especially at the insane speeds you travel at.
2008-05-19 6:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
That is an impressive bike split on those hills. Well done.
2008-05-19 7:47 PM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Nice bike split.  Brings back memories - I used to live less than a mile from the course and have run around that lake hundreds of of times.   Congrats.

2008-05-19 8:21 PM

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Rick,

Awesome ride!

Ernie

2008-05-21 8:54 AM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Thanks guys.

An update on the rider who went down ....... a friend of his on ST said he is doing pretty well with no major injuries.  Sounds like they flew in shock trauma and help up people on the course for a 1/2 hour or so as they took care of him.  Sucks for those people that got stuck in the course freeze, but luckily the guy was okay (relatively speaking).

2008-05-21 9:16 AM

Master
Olney, MD

Awesome job out there!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed