General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New shoes - calf/shin pain normal? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-20 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Subject: New shoes - calf/shin pain normal?

When I last got fitted for shoes (about a year ago), I over-pronated quite a bit and was set up with shoes that were quite supportive.  They were also heavy clunkers, but they did the job.  Each time I needed new shoes, I bought the same brand/style.

Last week I went in for new shoes again, but decided to get my gait analyzed again.  It's been over a year and thought that my running style may have changed.  The shoe shop dude said that I could definitely go from my "heavy support shoes" to "medium support shoes".  After trying on about five pairs, I ended up with a pair that were light, comfy, and flexible.

My first run in them was a 3 mile recovery run.  My shins/calves were a little sore, but I thought maybe it was because I had done a long run the previous day (in my old shoes).  Today I did about 4 miles of track work and towards the end my calves and shins were screaming at me.  Note that I have never had much calf/shin issues before.  Also note that these shoes feel slightly too big (they didn't in the store), but I wonder if that is because they are less stiff/less supportive.  Questions: is it normal to have this pain with different shoes?  should I return the shoes and try another pair?  I have ample room in the toe box, but is it normal to have extra room in the width?

Thanks!

2008-05-20 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1413709

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: New shoes - calf/shin pain normal?
The additional room could be from different socks?

As to should different shoes cause pain, IMO no. I know that changing from super support shoes to medium support shoes can cause sore areas as you body gets used to the new support, but screaming calfs/shines is a bad sign.
2008-05-20 11:55 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Your calf/shin issue seems to suggest that the newer shoes might have less cushioning than the old shoes you were using. (Very Likely given the change in shoe style)

I would not consider this normal, especially if this is not something you have experienced in the past. Might be worth a trip back to the LRS to confirm that they have you in the right shoe and definitely explain to them what your experiencing.

2008-05-20 1:54 PM

User image

Runner

How much track work have you done up to this point?  That could be the culprit.

Is the pain sharp, or more of an aching?  Is it tender to the touch? 

2008-05-20 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1414150

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Scout7 - 2008-05-20 11:54 AM

How much track work have you done up to this point?  That could be the culprit.

Is the pain sharp, or more of an aching?  Is it tender to the touch? 

Thanks for the responses so far!

I always wear the same socks (except for my long runs, I use a pair that has a touch more cushion), so I don't think that's it.  Every week I do either track work or hill repeats each Tuesday, alternating each week.  My mileage hasn't been increasing that much, so I don't know...

It's more on an aching feeling.  Burning is a better description.  They aren't tender to the touch now, but I can feel the soreness when I flex my foot back and forth.

I think I'll head to the LRS today after work and see what they can do.

2008-05-20 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Running trails in S. Ontario
Ok, take the shoes back, it's not ok to be feeling pain from new shoes.  Also, a lighter shoe should feel smaller, not bigger like you mentioned.  Sounds to me that you had a poor fit.

2008-05-20 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1414287

User image

Runner

It may be an adjustment to the new shoes, especially if they are significantly different than the last.

It could be you tied the laces too tight, and it put pressure on your arches. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New shoes - calf/shin pain normal? Rss Feed