General Discussion Race Reports! » Mercer Island Rotary Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mercer Island Rotary Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mercer Island , Washington
United States
35F / 2C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 17m 32s
Overall Rank = 602/2457
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 95/
Pre-race routine:

Wow was I nervous on this race! I've run it three times before, but it was my first race since my surgery. I was stressing BIG time!
Event warmup:

Walk around, stress, stand in line for the potty, stress more.
Run
  • 2h 17m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't sure I was enjoying myself at first. I still had some residual pain from the surgery, and I was a bit underweight. Most of the time that's a GOOD thing, but at this point it wasn't because my stamina just wasn't all the way back. I was determined to do this, though!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. It was just a come back race after a surgery 2.5 months prior. Since it was abdominal surgery and I had complications, I feel pretty good about it.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran in hard because for some reason I thought I was going to break 2 hours. (I was delusional.) Walked around and stretched a lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Surgery, but I just wasn't feeling the love that day either.

Event comments:

It's a nice race because it's usually right around my birthday. There's something about running a long-ish race on or near your birthday that sort of thumbs your nose at the whole "getting older" biz. I'm so glad I found Lisa and Jenny! They made it FUN! :)

Last updated: 2008-02-17 12:00 AM
Running
02:17:32 | 13.1 miles | 10m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 95/
Overall: 602/2457
Performance: Below average
PaThEtIc! But I had fun, and that's what counts. Started run/walk, but then found Lisa and Jenny at mile 3 and ran in the rest of the way gabbing with them.
Course: Hilly. Hilly and hilly. It's a beautiful course, though. I love it, but it is hilly. The hills are also hilly. Plus the roads are canted so you have to watch your hips. Did I mention it was hilly?
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes