General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running w/injury question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-09 8:45 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Subject: running w/injury question

Last Sept I started having consistent pain in the back of my leg and occasional pain in my low back. It took a while for me to make the connection between the two, I thought hamstring injury and iced iced iced...then didn't run from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

Been to a Dr. and physical therapist, the general consensus is that it's sacroiliac joint dysfunction.  The PT sez just stop running when it starts to hurt.  That could be anywhere from1 to 45 minutes, it changes day by day.

I'm not giving up on the 1/2 IM I have scheduled in July!  Right now I'm just doing whatever running I can do and doing base work on the spin bike (BORING) and in the pool.  When I can't take the bike anymore I hop on the elliptical trainer.  I figure by keeping my cardiovascular endurance up getting back to longer runs shouldn't take TOO awfully long. 

Anyone have any other suggestions?  My goal is a 5:50 1/2, which based on last years 1/2 should be doable IF I can train around this.

2005-01-09 11:04 PM
in reply to: #101214

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: RE: running w/injury question
Have you had your running technique evaluated? Maybe there is something your doing without realizing it that could be aggravating the problem. Have you looked at Chi Running? It is supposed to be pain free.

Mike
2005-01-09 11:15 PM
in reply to: #101214

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
Subject: RE: running w/injury question
I think you'll be fine if you continue to swim/bike/elliptical for now. If you can aquajog, several times a week it will help alot. When you aquajog, you have to work at it to make it count.

I have heard of high school track and cross country kids who have gotten injured and started working out in the pool to maintain their conditioning. At the time of their District Meet, with only a few days of running, they came out a won and qualified for State. So I believe it is possible.

Don't get discourage. Find out what is wrong, fix it, then continue as planned. It sounds like you have plenty of time.

Good Luck,
Randy

Edited by Blacktoe 2005-01-09 11:15 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running w/injury question Rss Feed