General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Must do rides/runs around San Jose Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-28 3:02 PM

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC
Subject: Must do rides/runs around San Jose
My work is sending me to Livermore/San Jose next week.  I plan on bringing my bike and a pair of running shoes.  Can any locals suggest a must do ride/run in the area?

2008-05-29 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1429097

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
Subject: RE: Must do rides/runs around San Jose
where in SJ are you going to be staying?  The los gatos Creek Trail is a great run and it stretchs from near downtown to Los Gatos.  You can ride your bike there too, but it is a multiuse trail and hard to get up too much speed....If you are in South SJ, I like the Coyote Creek trail for running and it is not as crowded as the Los Gatos creek trail.  It also runs quite a distance from east SJ to Morgan Hill.  There are a couple of trails / levys in down town, but I don't run them much.  Let me know where your going to be.  If you are going to be closer to the livermore labs...I don't know that area very well.  But I believe there are quite a few places in that area to run / bike also.
2008-05-29 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1430529

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC
I don't entirely know where I'll be.  My office and hotel will be in Livermore, but I will be spending most of my time at a sub-contractor in San Jose.
2008-05-29 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1430706

User image

Master

out of Livermore:

bike ride Mines Road south - great hill up and over to Del Valle lake.  or ride all the way to San Jose via Mount Hamilton.  What distances do you want?

Sycamore Grove park off Wetmore Road has a ~2.5 mile paved trail for a 5 mile out-n-back run, with packed dirt along side for a softer landing.  Also trails throughout for all trail running or to make a loop. $3 parking  http://www.bahiker.com/eastbayhikes/sycamore.html

Greatplaces to trail run in Fremont and San Jose too.  What are you seeking?  

2008-05-29 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1431144

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC

Thanks for the replies everyone! 

I love trail running as long as I'm not going to step on a rattle snake.  Not being familiar with them means I wasn't willing to take a solo trail run in their territory, but that was San Diego.

For the bike, I think I can make time for a longer ride during the week as I have no family with me...   Maybe 50 miles on a scenic route.

I've always enjoyed hills, but the power meter has given me a whole new way to enjoy them as I can pace myself much better. 

I have in the past stepped out of the hotel door, turned on the GPS and ran until I thought I was done, so I'm open to anything interesting. 

2008-05-29 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1431248

User image

Master

Do not ride N. Vasco, that's full of commuting yahoos.  doing the ~15-20 mile loop of Collier Canyon/Manning/N Livermore would be decent (though I haven't ridden the roads recently to vouch for current pavement condition!).  Morgan Territory Rd is narrow, though pretty and little traveled. Isabel and Stanley have bike lanes/paths for most/all.   I think Vineyard too.

Calaveras Road along 680, Sunol to Milpitas or San Jose is scenic.

stopping for a run at Ed Levin, Mission Peaks, or Sunol Wilderness (all between SJ and Livermore)  would be a good end-of-day, wait-for-traffic-to-clear activity.

There's also a levee bike trail in Fremont that delivers you to Quarry Lakes for OWS. 

2008-05-29 7:31 PM
in reply to: #1431248

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
daijoubu - 2008-05-29 11:01 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone! 

I love trail running as long as I'm not going to step on a rattle snake.  Not being familiar with them means I wasn't willing to take a solo trail run in their territory, but that was San Diego.

For the bike, I think I can make time for a longer ride during the week as I have no family with me...   Maybe 50 miles on a scenic route.

I've always enjoyed hills, but the power meter has given me a whole new way to enjoy them as I can pace myself much better. 

I have in the past stepped out of the hotel door, turned on the GPS and ran until I thought I was done, so I'm open to anything interesting. 

I know of lots of rides...and have flexible hours...do you know when you may be available to ride...you are talking road rides, right?  or can tell you of some great rides depending on where you are talking. I am only 15-20 min drive from San Jose. PM me if you are interested.

2008-06-01 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1429097

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC
Thanks for the advice everyone.  After much kid-friendly cursing at my drop bars, my bike is packed and ready to go.  I think I'll be working 8 to 4 so I'll have a few hours in the morning and evening.  Once I figure out the schedule, I'll let you know.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Must do rides/runs around San Jose Rss Feed