General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am having some swimming issues...help, please. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-10 10:01 PM

User image

Subject: I am having some swimming issues...help, please.

I have never been a swimmer, and started basically in November.  I have managed to swim a 1000m continuous and a few 500m swims.  I have been very happy about the progress. 

Now I am ready to step to the next level.  My problem is that I seem to overexert during the swim.  I only have one speed...if I slow down, I feel I am going to drown, If I speed up, my heart WILL jump out of my chest.  I know I am working too hard because my HR is about 160-170 when I finish these longer swims (85-90%).  What can I do to take it a bit easier, or to keep the speed but have my body deal with it better?

Thanks if you have any advice!

2005-01-10 11:22 PM
in reply to: #101744

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: I am having some swimming issues...help, please.
I'm sure you'll hear this a lot. I had (ve) the same problem. one speed
I'm going through the total immersion book and video. It seems after
a month of using it, I feel like I'm faster in the water and not as tired.
Thus I can slow down and not feel like if I don't turn my arms over faster
I'll sink to the bottom. The video's like $40 bucks and seeing it was
a big help. I used just the book for awhile but couldn't visualize the
drills.

Also, everone I talked to about swimming raves about htis technique.

Train well

thom
2005-01-10 11:38 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Aside from the typical read total immersion etc. just give it time. If you've only been swimming since nov. and you're already at 1000 continuous you're on the right track.
2005-01-10 11:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Belize
I did my first triathlon last year after about 5 months of training and I still could not do what you have accomplished in just 2 months. I just started training again and I can barely do 50 meters straight. So whatever you are doing, I think you are on the right track. But I guess if either of us wants to improve faster we ought to check out that training video that everybody's been raving about.

Edited by David_Zen 2005-01-10 11:47 PM
2005-01-11 9:17 AM

User image

Thanks,

yeah, I just ordered the dvd and the book. $55.00!  I am sure in a few months it will feel like the best $50 investment towards my swimming!   I am definitely happy about the progress I have made in the pool and if you had told me after my first couple of swim workouts that I would be here right now I would have thought you were crazy.  Perhaps I have moved too quickly and I am expecting that kind of speedy improvement too much.  I'm sure the TI stuff will help.  I have never heard one person say that TI wasn't beneficial to them.

2005-01-11 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
I don't want to sound like a heretic, but allow me to make a few comments about Total Immersion. I did a weekend camp in Chicago last winter. I have the DVD. I practiced the drills. TI is not your father's swim stroke, which was a point missed on me until I actually took the class. It's kind of like learning the golf swing ... there is a lot to learn and think about, and it won't come automatically. TI will not improve your current tehnique as such, it's really a different way of swimming and takes LOTS of practice, more than many people are willing to put in. I'm a solid swimmer who was looking for technique improvements, and instead I came away feeling like I had just tried to fix something that wasn't broken. I hope for unlimited success to all TI'ers, but some folks might do just as well to find a local coach who will spend a couple of 30-minute sessions helping you refine what you already have. And to LIFEISGOOD, I'd say you've made terrific progress. Good luck! 

Edited by triman50 2005-01-11 9:28 AM

2005-01-11 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Amen! And at least with the coach you're getting feedback in real time rather just wondering if your stroke is good.
2005-01-11 10:27 AM

Veteran
The Emerald City

Since you already are able to swim 1000 yards (which is great) try keeping your kick a little smaller and quiet, it will save you energy for the longer yardage and may lower your heart rate.

As for Total Immersion.....

I bought the DVDs but couldn't quite "get it".  So I  took TI lessons from a TI coach.  I too had to re-learn my former swim stroke.  It was weird at first, but as already mentioned, it takes a lot of practice.  I  have a lot more endurance since I now swim with economy.  I have lowered my stroke count from 20 to about 16-17.  On good day, I can get it down to 14 -15.  And I can swim laps forever. TI is not for everyone, but give it a try. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am having some swimming issues...help, please. Rss Feed