General Discussion Triathlon Talk » moving to MD! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-30 3:45 PM

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: moving to MD!

Hey guys,

Just found out today that there is a VERY good chance (unofficial offer pending reference check) that I will be working for NOAA out of Camp Springs, MD starting the beginning of July.

I would ask about the tri culture, but right now I'm more concerned about finding a place to live.  I was pointed towards College Park as being a close place with affordable housing, but figured I'd ask the experts here.   Unfortunately I'm not sure if I will be able to travel out there to find a place before actually moving.

Any thoughts about where to start looking? I'm looking for more of a quiet, family friendly area, as I have a child on its way.

2008-05-30 3:51 PM
in reply to: #1434227

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: moving to MD!
vortmax - 2008-05-30 4:45 PM

Hey guys,

Just found out today that there is a VERY good chance (unofficial offer pending reference check) that I will be working for NOAA out of Camp Springs, MD starting the beginning of July.

I would ask about the tri culture, but right now I'm more concerned about finding a place to live.  I was pointed towards College Park as being a close place with affordable housing, but figured I'd ask the experts here.   Unfortunately I'm not sure if I will be able to travel out there to find a place before actually moving.

Any thoughts about where to start looking? I'm looking for more of a quiet, family friendly area, as I have a child on its way.

Hey there!!  Congrats on your (hopefully) new job.  How far are you willing to commute to work?  Not to knock Prince George's county and the College Park area since I can also recommend some places there that are OK for families, but I think some other surrounding areas are a bit more family friendly.  Certain areas in Prince George's County can look deceivingly nice (especially if you won't be able to check out the place before you actually move), but you are probably better off avoiding them.

Just let me know how close you'd like to be to work and I'll try and help you out.  I lived in MD my entire life.. College Park for 3 years when I went to U of MD.  I grew up in Severna Park (near Annapolis) and now live in the Columbia area. 

Edited by vball03umd 2008-05-30 3:53 PM
2008-05-30 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Actually I should have asked how much TIME you're willing to spend commuting each day   Rush hour traffic can get pretty crazy.  Also, are you looking to rent a house or an apartment?
2008-05-30 4:21 PM
in reply to: #1434319

Elite
Laurium, MI
thanks for the help.  I'd like to try and keep the commute to an hour or less (the shorter the better).  Right now I'm just looking for an apartment.  Eventually I'll be looking for a house, but I want to settle in a little before I make that move.
2008-06-01 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Looking at the map,  I'd recommend living as far away from Camp Springs as possible if you want a place that's family friendly   That part of the state is considered a rough part and you really don't want to be living in any of those surrounding areas: Oxon Hill, Suitland, District Heights... yipes!

Your commute is going to be sort of tough because you'll be on 495.  That road is ALWAYS backed up and, unless you have really weird working hours, you'll be dealing with traffic everyday. 

If you're looking to get to work in under an hour I'd suggest looking for places in Waldorf, Davidsonville, I've heard there are some nice areas in Bowie, College Park is OK but most of the apartments are going to have college kids there.  I was a college kid living in a CP apartment a few years ago and I don't think I would want to raise a baby there   Crofton and Odenton would probably be a little longer than an hour commute, but those are both nice places too.  Upper Marlboro might be worth taking a look at too. 

2008-06-01 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1436292

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Agree, agree, agree. Depend if you have/will have kids to be concerned about the schools. But, either way, by moving into Montgomery County, Anne Arundel County (Annapolis, Odenton, Severna Park, etc.), or the District, a long commute is part of the deal. Welcome to the metro area. You'll get used to it quickly. The commute is worth it.

2008-06-01 4:44 PM

Elite
Laurium, MI

awesome, thank you guys for all your help.

The office will be moving to college park in another year or so, so if I find a place close to College Park now, I will only have to gut out the commute for a little while.

I'll be sure to post more questions and updates once we get further along.

2008-06-01 7:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenbelt, MD

I can recommend the part of Greenbelt which is called "Old Greenbelt" (which is just down the road from College Park).  I'm not sure if you can get into the co-op from long distance (the co-op is a really inexpensive set of New Deal era townhouses that functions alot like a condo organization in that they take care of alot of big ticket problems with the buildings for a relatively small monthly fee) but there are single family homes in the old part of Greenbelt too.  There are also some nice areas in Greenbelt East.  Basically any single family home is in a nice area and some townhouses/condos are in pretty nice areas.

It's a pretty family-oriented area with alot of cool community organizations, an extremely inexpensive pool/mini-gym (around $200/year), community center, youth center, etc. There's some decent biking in the area, and plenty of nice places to run.  And it's right where the Baltimore-Washington Parkway and the Beltway meet, so easy to get on major roads.

I commute from here to Andrews Air Force Base, which is near Camp Springs.  I leave at 6:30 and come home around 3 and rarely ever hit traffic that slows me down.  Takes me about 20 minutes each way.  Going in that direction (clockwise) on the Beltway is not nearly as bad as heading the other way.  Sadly no hope of biking though as there are too many bad neighborhoods between there and here.

Okay, enough about my adopted home town.   Let me know if you want to know anything else about it.  I'm always happy to brag about it

Other options would be La Plata or Waldorf.  I know alot of people who live there who work at Andrews and the commute is under an hour except on really bad days. 

2008-06-03 11:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

I live in Calvert County (south of Anne Arundel & PG), which is a manageable commute to College Park but only worth it if you stay long enough for your little one to take advantage of the schools.  I live about 3 miles from the Chesapeake Bay and the commute to DC is about 65 minutes for me.  But it has been worth it for my kids to be in a great school system and community. 

I would also suggest Howard County (north of PG County, between DC and Baltimore).  Look in the Laurel/Savage/Columbia areas.  My sister-in-law lives there and loves it.  The commute can be a bear occasionally, but there are lots of bail-out alternatives that may work regularly. 

Laurie

2008-06-09 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
MD
I don't have any advice for housing, but I worked on the 7th floor of the world weather building in Camp Springs for a while as a research intern back in the 90's. I was there during Hurricane Andrew - pretty cool place. Hope you enjoy the new job and the move! Lots of triathlons around this area, you can race every weekend if you wish!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » moving to MD! Rss Feed