Town of Pittsford Recreation Dept
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 41m 12s
Overall Rank = 9/12
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30, for a relay race that wasn't going to start until 8:13:20, our seeded swim time, but I wasn't going to personally compete in until 9:30 or so. Regardless, we had to have our transition set up by about 6:45 because the race began at 7. And I wanted to get there to see and cheer on my BT buds anyway! Ate a bowl of oatmeal at about 6 and drank coffee on the way there and more while I was waiting. I stopped the coffee drinking and started drinking water at about 8ish.
Event warmup:

I don't know what I did. I had to wait sooooo long. I just ran around here and there (to the bathrooms, to the finish chute, on a nearby trail...) I was really getting very antsy waiting for my biking teammate to return. We started so late that most of the racers were done by the time I even began!
I took in a gel (thanks Ken!) at about 9:15, 15-20 min before I was expecting Jen back. Chased it with a good amount of water. While I was doing some of the warm-up runs, I was feeling the hints of a stomach cramp. Maybe I drank too much water while I was waiting around? I decided to take the gel anyway, though, because it had been almost 3 1/2 hours since I'd eaten. I think that was probably a good idea.
Swim
  • 08m 36s
  • 274 meters
  • 03m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

Erica did a great job! She looked good. She really has good technique. She just needs to build up her endurance. I thought she got us off to a great start! There were maybe 2 lengths where she had to do a bit of breast stroke, but she found her groove and finished strong. I think she was only passed by one person.
What would you do differently?:

Erica is excited to do another tri!!
Transition 1
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

This seemed to go smoothly. Jen was waiting with her helmet already on. She took the chip off of Erica's leg easily and ran with the bike to the mounting line.

4th out of the 12 relay teams
Bike
  • 1h 06m 39s
  • 15 miles
  • 13.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Jen seemed happy with her performance. Her goal was 1:05. But, the bike, aka "grandma", decided to lose her chain with just a couple of miles left. I didn't know this until well after the race when I happened to notice Jen's greasy hands. She's too nice to tell me my bike sucks big ones. Anyway, with the 2 min it probably took her to get the chain back on and get back up to speed, she really met her goal.

Jen's already talking about getting a new bike so she can do more of these races! :)
Transition 2
  • 00m 26s
Comments:

I very easily swiped the ankle chip off of Jen's and got it on mine and took off! We were #1 on this transition! :)
Run
  • 25m
  • 3.43 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I was a bit nervous about this run. First of all, it took so darn long for my turn to race! I was getting incredibly antsy. But, my biggest concern was that I wasn't going to have any way of really knowing what pace I was keeping since there wouldn't be other runners around to pace off of. I didn't want to get comfortable on the run and come to find out that was an 8 min pace later on. I couldn't remember if the course had mile markers on it either.
I decided to go ahead and use my garmin even though the strap was broken. Ridgelake was able to help me rig it so it would stay on! (Thanks Rob!) That was definitely a good decision to wear it. I used it quite a bit to let myself know that I needed to pick it up or keep the pace.
I passed numerous people, which does help mentally. The course really went by pretty quickly. It is a huge benefit to know a course really well. I know exactly what is coming up and where to push it and where to (try to) relax. I felt alright overall, but think it was more my legs than my cardio fitness that prevented me from going faster. I did beat my best run time on this course from 2 years ago, which was what I wanted. I figured since I didn't bike that I BETTER beat that time or I was in serious trouble! That pressure weighed on me a bit.
I saw Rob and the kids right when I took off out of transition! That was nice to see them, especially since I didn't think they were coming today. Then I heard lots of cheering for me as I finished, which was nice as well. But I'm always a little embarrassed because I don't really want people watching me finish, since I think I usually look like death at that point! ;)

Nothing really. I kind of thought that maybe I shouldn't have biked and gone on a short brick run the evening before hand. I think that did fatigue me some for this race. But at the same time, I am really training for a race at the end of the month and needed to get some time in on the bike, so I don't regret going on the ride.
Post race
Warm down:

Hardly had time to catch my breathe before Tyler comes running up from behind me and jumps up on my back. That did not make me all that happy. But I kept my composure because I really appreciate that they come out to cheer on mommy. I always let them know later on in the day how much I like it that they come out to my races. It does mean a lot to me to have their constant support and general positive attitude about my racing.

Event comments:

Always a good race. Organized, on time and a fun atmosphere. I'm beginning to wonder if they shouldn't have a cut-off for the # of total contestants. It takes a long time to get everyone through. There were probably one too many water stops on the relatively short run course (3!) From a few reports I heard, it sound as if they could have used some more road marshals at some intersections. Otherwise a good race. Some Buffalo Bills players and coaches raced today, which seemed to bring some additional excitement to the day.

Last updated: 2008-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:36 | 274 meters | 03m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/12
Overall: 10/12
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 300 yard swim in a pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:31
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:39 | 15 miles | 13.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/12
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: This is a challenging course. Hills and it was windy today.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:00 | 03.43 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 3/12
Performance: Average
Mile 1: 7:10 Mile 2: 7:27 Mile 3: 7:15
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-01 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Town of Pittsford Triathlon

2008-06-02 5:25 AM
in reply to: #1437320

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Town of Pittsford Triathlon
Nice job Kam, you ran a great race!  It's tough waiting around like that.  It's great that you got a couple more people interested in tri's! 
2008-06-02 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Heck of a run, Kam!  Way to meet your goal!!! 

I was talking to Martie when you crossed the finish line. We both thought you looked really strong at the finish.  GREAT JOB!

2008-06-02 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Awesome run!  Not in to giving piggy back rides right after a run?  That is great that the kids come to cheer you on.  It is a big motivator in my book.

Nice job on helping those tri newbies get addicted. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Town of Pittsford Triathlon Rss Feed