Tri OKC
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 18s
Overall Rank = 122/221
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 9/20
Pre-race routine:

Arrived about 45 minutes early. Got Chip, Got racked and body marked. Set up transition, got shoes clipped in, did pre race interview with Aaron, got wetsuit on
Event warmup:

Did warm up swim. Swam from boat ramp out to last buoy and then over to the starting area.
Swim
  • 12m 21s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great Swim. I actually got up near the front for this start. I started about 5 feet behind the line and when Don Garrett said swimmers ready, I started swimming. That way when the gun went off, I was already going. Had good drafting and overall a great swim.
What would you do differently?:

I need to stay focused on the swim and remember that I'm racing the whole time. It's a balance between "blowing up" and doing the 200 yards of glory then 300 yards of breast stroke and maintaining a good sustainable pace for the entire swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Okay, lost some time putting on the garmin and turning it on etc. Have to have it already on and set to bike next time. It was set to run. Also lost time fiddling with it while it tried to find the satelites. Other than that T1 was okay. I didn't use the wetsuit strippers and don't know if that made a difference or not. Of 20 people in clydesdale I had the 7th fastes T1 so it was about average.

Power up garmin before.
Bike
  • 45m 26s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 17.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was pretty good. Strong wind out of the south (X-wind) so I spent the whole time out leaning to my left and the whole time back leaning to my right. I used to think the bike was a strength of mine, but it was 11 of 20 in clydesdale. Not so good. I think i did my aero bottle of Gatorade Endurance plus my other bottle too.

I don't know. The bike seemed difficult for me both days this year.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Smoking fast T2. 3rd fastest in Clydesdale and 22nd fastest of the 221 participants. Flying dismount is working really well.

I MUST learn to keep a good grip on my bike though as it kind of got away from me on the oly and crashed in T2. NOT GOOD! :-) Was in such a hurry I forgot my visor!
Run
  • 30m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Even though my times are still at the lower end of the scale for the run, they are improving. I have to remember that I'm 260 lbs, so sub 10 minutes on the mile is good for me right now.

nothing that I can think of right now.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, walked for a little bit and then got out of there for the girls dance recital

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know really. It was one of my fastest sprints ever, and add in that it was open water makes it even better. My biggest limiter is still my weight. I need to get lighter. 40 more lbs by Redman is the goal.

Event comments:

Overall a great race. My best finish as a clyde ever in a sprint.

Last updated: 2007-12-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:21 | 500 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 100/221
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Superfull
Course: Clockwise Triangle Swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:26 | 13.05 miles | 17.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/20
Overall: 110/221
Performance: Average
Min HR: 152 Avg HR: 163 Max HR: 180
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Start at T1, through the golf course, and then it's almost a straight out and back on historic Route 66.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:20 | 03.11 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 1500/221
Performance: Good
30m 20s 3.10 miles 09m 47s/Mi Min HR: 155 Avg HR: 168 Max HR: 190 HR/Pace label Range data label Cumulative Time in zone 1 - Recovery 113 - 145 2 - Extensive Endurance 146 - 155 59s 3 - Intensive Endurance 156 - 163 05m 29s 4 - Sub-Threshold 164 - 170 16m 29s 5a - SuperThreshold 171 - 174 10m 12s 5b - Anaerobic Endurance 176 - 180 5c - Power 181 - 189
Course: Single loop out and back on the lake road. Road goes to packed gravel / dirt / asphalt / trail almost about .75 mile in. Aid station at turn around
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes