Canada
15C / 59F
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 10m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M3539
Age Group Rank = 59/75
Pre-race routine:

week before - no chance for training - worked long hours - went for an easy run friday.
Event warmup:

before race had a yogurt and a powerade , as well as a bottle of water - 20 min before start ate a gel
Swim
  • 40m 13s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

swim went ok - goal of 2 min per 100m met - made sure wetsuit was on properly - used plastic bags to put on - worked well. Swim was quite rough, in a Nascar kinda way - lots of bumping etc. swam crawl non stop - i think i kicked more than usual for a wetsuit swim, which seemed to work, but i was getting tired at the end

Get other goggles, they leaked when put on over the cap, put them on under they were ok but should try different pair
What would you do differently?:

i started on the inside about 2/3 back, maybe start on far side, less traffic, although i was able to swim pretty straight.
Transition 1
  • 04m 52s
Comments:

Very long transistion - but i was very slow, put on jacket and gloves due to the heavy rain, wanted the warmth and protection. stuggled with jacket and other stuff, had no space in transistion, had things in bags due to rain.

Had shoes already in pedals, which was good for this long transition, but when i crossed the start line, i got sandwiched between to riders and could not move until they did,took a bit. Once on bike, again due to wet and cold, it took a very long time to get properly into the shoes.

use armwarmers rather than jacket, put on once riding, i thought too much in transition- took way too long. cold and rain a factor
Bike
  • 3h 06m 4s
  • 93 kms
  • 29.99 km/hr
Comments:

Very heavy rain made for some cautious riding for the first lap, Going downhill at 60kmh on rough wet roads was challenging. Nutrition strategy was thrown out the window, as it was so wet i did not feel like drinking much - finished one bottle of powerade =250cal, one gel and 6 cliff shot blocks = 300cal one hald banana =50 cal and one bottle of water. 600 calories taken in, did not feel like bonking or thirsty, in fact had to stop and pee twice on run.

First lap was ok. goal was to stay above 30kmh ave, and managed that for first lap, secong lap was a bit slower, last 20 km took pretty easy, could have gone faster but wanted to save for run. Took cliff blocks 5km from finish

Trained more! - last few weeks work interfeared too much.

i stayed down in the tri bars more than i have in the past, but should make an effort to do even more. As for Nutrition, keep an open bag of shot blocks, and sport beans in bento box, too hard to open and take out while still in package, Chocolate gel tasted bad, stick with vanilla. Perhaps expereiment with carbo pro?
Transition 2
  • 04m 52s
Comments:

Coming into transition was good, got out of shoes early and was able to dismount well. had hard time racking bike, no space left, had to move other bikes. Taking off wet gloves and jacket were not easy,

CHanged shirt but left on bike shorts - change tent too far away. put on socks, and shoes, grabbed belt and hat and went. Again it seemed quite slow, should have been much faster.

probably due to the wet, my bike shorts caused a rash around the chamis stitches on the outside. So for any longer race either change shots or look into proper tri shorts.

should have taken off gloves a few KMs out to save some transition time.
Run
  • 2h 14m 31s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 23s  min/km
Comments:

Started out good, legs a bit sore, but felt good considering. Training was not that great during the previous 6 weeks, getting injured, then doing MOMAR adventure race and recovery from that, then too much work, so i had a goal of 6 minute KMs, which would have put me under my 6 hr goal time. First few KMs, i was ahead, but had to stop in outhouse, but was able to stay on pace, including walking through aid stations.
The Km markers were a bit misplaced, as i hit the 3km marker at 22min and thought my pace was way off, but hit the 4km marker at 24 minutes so i was still right on pace. hit the first turn in 30 mins, on pace, but coming back it got harder to start running after taking a walk break. once running i was fine for a km or so, but once i stopped running and walked, it was very painful to start again. Pain was on the outside of my knee, (IT band perhaps?) usually when i would try to start running again, it would take about 100m before the pain would go away, but sometimes i would have to stop trying to run and walk somemore. With last 3km, i knew i had to keep running and not stop as it was getting hard to get going again, so i went non stop for the last few KM.

rough split times 1/4 was 30min 2/4 was 34min, 3/4 was 32 and last 1/4 was 39 min roughly.

I Need to do more bricks and long runs - and stretch more. I actually felt pretty good coming off the bike, but just better overall fitness would definately help.

perhaps HTFU and stop running less, so i would not have to endure the pain of getting back up to running speed.
Post race
Warm down:

After the race, i did not feel too hungry or thirsty, i had some food and drinks, but i just wanted to relax the sore legs. Stood in the lake for 10 minutes, first time doing that, it felt great - much recomemended!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall fitness could have been better due to too much work, etc.
The heavy rain, and feeling cold caused me to change my race plan.

Going into the race, i wanted to go sub 6 hrs, so i was disappointed with 6:10, but when i looked at my longterm goals as listed on this website, i had entered in 6:30 so i guess i have beaten my expectaions from when i signed up, so hopefully that will continue for my ironman goals. but i do need to focus more on my training, and get in the distance.

Last updated: 2008-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:13 | 2000 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 51/75
Overall: 358/
Performance: Average
Suit: yes
Course: 2 loop triangle - 450 - 100-450
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:52
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:06:04 | 93 kms | 29.99 km/hr
Age Group: 58/75
Overall: 348/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop with some hills
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:52
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:14:31 | 21.1 kms | 06m 23s  min/km
Age Group: 62/75
Overall: 503/
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-04 3:09 AM

User image

Whistler, BC
Subject: Oliver Half Iron

2008-06-04 10:20 AM
in reply to: #1443637

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
Subject: RE: Oliver Half Iron
Another BTer was there we didn't know about. Congrats on enduring the day!
2008-06-04 9:48 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
What? You can't leave us hanging like that!! We want the rest of the report!!
2008-06-05 3:01 AM
in reply to: #1446232

User image

Whistler, BC
Sorry for leaving you in suspense. I finally was able to complete my report tonight.

good job everybody, it seemed like for this race in particular just getting OVER the start line was the hardest part, i know a few people that decided not to race morning of, so again congrats all on a great race.
2008-06-05 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Thanks! Sounds like it was a great learning race for you! And, on top of that, you beat your original goal time! Great job and hope you can get back into regular training.
2008-06-10 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Good job on the race! You beat your old time and just missed the goal time. Nicely done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oliver Half Iron Rss Feed