General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stress fracture or shin slpints? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-08 11:45 AM

User image

Mystic, CT
Subject: stress fracture or shin slpints?
I've had shin splints for months, but I was in a sports season, so I never slowed down. Now, in my right shin there is this huge pain. It's kindof like a realllly bad shin splint. I can still run on it, but as soon as I'm done running I can barely walk. (yeah, I know I should stop running, and I havent run for about 3 days now.) Is there any possibility that this could be a stress fracture?? How would I know?

2008-06-08 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1452325

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: RE: stress fracture or shin slpints?
i too, had shin splints and have a sore spot on my shin --- i never got tested for a stress fracture, because it was expensive, i just took about 5 weeks off from running. some characteristics of a stress fracture are localized pain -- only in one spot, and if you push it, it hurts a lot. another at home test, that i have heard of, is see if you can jump on one leg (the one that hurts), and if it hurts bad, it's more likely a stress fracture. i have just been limiting my running and trying to only do very short runs to get my shin to heal.
2008-06-08 1:11 PM

User image

Mystic, CT
5 weeks?!? I dont know if I could do that! I just tried to jump on one leg and I couldnt really. It hurt too much. When I walk, it's almost like the muscle won't support anything enough, so my leg kindof pushes back and my knee locks, which is probably really bad for my knee...haha. But even if it is a stress fracture, is the doctor really going to do anything other than tell me to rest? because I dont really feel like paying a lot of money for someone to suggest rest.
2008-06-08 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
that is the exact reason why i didn't go to the doctor -- because i figured he would tell me to rest. Yea, if it's hurting that bad you HAVE TO take some time off from running -- the good news - you'll have lots of time to swim and bike! i didn't really run during may, but i biked about 450 miles!
2008-06-08 3:01 PM

User image

Mystic, CT
yeah thats true, but it sucks becuase I was going to do my first triathlon today! I was so excited! but I figured it wouldn't be a good idea to run 3 miles when i cant really walk...haha, especially after swimming and biking.
2008-06-08 5:43 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Good choice.  Yes it could be a stress fracture.  Get it shceked and treated so you only take a few weeks off instead of a few months

2008-06-09 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
I had the same issue several months back.  I took three weeks off of running and slowly got back to it.  It does suck so bad to take time off.  But it is either a little now, or a lot later.  Or worse yet, take off time permanently.
2008-06-09 8:21 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I had a stress fracture in my tibia.  If it's a stress fracture, there is usually one spot along the bone that hurts a lot more when you touch it.

I got put in a boot for 8 weeks while it healed.  Also had bone density tests done to make sure I wouldn't continue to get them.

Whether you get it checked or not, you need to stop.  It sucks, but that's the best option. 

2008-06-09 6:51 PM

User image

Chandler

Sorry this is happening to you.  I am in week 6 of recovery from a calcaneous sxf in my right heel.  It occurred during an 18 mile training run just before the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon.  Needless to say, I did not run the marathon.

The only way to conclusively diagnose a stress fracture is to have an MRI.  Once it has been diagnosed, time off is a requirement for it to heal completely. You might be put in a boot or an air cast.  My orthopedic doc said I could spin and swim which is how I got thrown into this crazy world of multi-sports (my main sport was running).   I am also using a bone stimulator for 30 mins a day and I could be doing that for up to 4 months.  My doc thinks I'll be out of the boot around the 12 week mark and starting run/walk program after that.  He seems to think I'll be fine to run the San Antonio 1/2 Rock and Roll Marathon (I'm currently registered for the full) in Nov.

I hate to say what all the previous posters said, but it is true.  The only way for a stress fracture to heal is to give it time.  I'm of the mind that I'd rather give it all the time it needs the first time around so I don't spend any more time off my feet than I have to.  I've had friends who did not do this and ended up injuring themselves more seriously than the initial sfx.

Good luck to you.

2008-06-09 9:16 PM

New user

Richmond, Va

Actually you have other options.  The dogma is that increasing your mileage or intensity by greater than 10% per week, will lead to stress fractures.  If you truly have a stress fracture either diagnosed by bone scan or MRI, then you PCP or your Orthopedic doc may tell you take time off.  Try this....Water runnning or even better yet, try to find a G-trainer by Alter-G.  This is a treadmill that will unweight you and allow you to run on anywhere from 20-100% of your body weight using air pressure.  Running on a lower percentage of your body weight allows to you run pain free and still maintain your fitness.  The key is to find on in your area.  We just got one at our office and it has allowed our stress fracture patients to continue to train, pain free and heal without losing fitness.

just a thought,

Teresa 

2008-06-11 3:32 PM

User image

Mystic, CT
I just went to the doctor, and he didn't think it was a stress fracture. He said theres a small chance it could be, but I decided not to get the tests done. I think I'm gunna go swimming today, I'll see if it makes it feel any better. Thanks for the advice though!!!

2008-06-13 1:25 PM
in reply to: #1452466

i got a stress fracture in Feb and I am still not able to run per doctors orders. I just started training for my first Tri. I think I over did it. I just had shoulder surgery om Mon, so now I can only rest!
2008-06-13 5:39 PM

User image

Mystic, CT
It still hurts really bad, but I hate to admit that I did another running work out today... I don't think I'll ever learn...
2008-07-22 9:51 AM

I have a stress fracture that was misdiagnosed as MTSS.  The saga has lasted for over a year.  The docs missed it on two x-rays and a bone scan also came up negative.

On a visit to another Doc, here in Richmond, he located the fracture on one of my earlier x-rays.  The subsequent bone scan turned up positive.  The x-rays revealed "the dreaded black line", which apparently means it will not heal on its own and will require surgery. 

My advice is, if it still hurts, get the bone scan.  Go running the night before the scan to get it nice and inflammed or you risk the bone scan not picking it up.  Also, get second opinions.  Stress fractures are tough to diagnose. One doc thought mine was a vain running through the bone.

I am very upset that it could have been diagnosed properly at the outset, but glad that a resolution is near.  Living with this pain for a year and a half has really taken it's toll on my fitness.

2008-07-22 10:32 AM

Illinois

I agree with the above posts.  Get checked.  It could be shin splints, stress reaction of bone, or a true stress fracture.  Early stages are difficult to diagnose and don't always show on the xrays/imaging.  The mainstay of treatment is relative rest from weightbearing activity, and I agree that is difficult to tell a triathlete.  But there are other adjuncts, such as physical therapy, pneumatic splints (long air cast), walking boots, and activity substitution so you don't completely decondition.  You do not want "the dreaded black line."  Having a metal rod placed down your leg is not fun.

When you are healed, you also need to determine why this happened.  Was it over training/increasing mileage too quickly?  Or is it mechanics?  You need to be pro-active to prevent another one.  Have someone look at your mechanics/gait, kinetic chain, core/lower extremity muscle imbalances, and diet.  Correct what needs to be corrected to prevent recurrences - orthotics, strengthening or flexibilty, diet/caloric intake, female athlete triad screening.

Brian

2008-07-22 2:40 PM

User image

Mystic, CT
well I stopped running for about 2 weeks, and I couldnt really feel it anymore, and I could walk completely fine without feeling it, so yesterday I started running again! It felt good, and didnt really hurt, but but then when I was just doing a cool down lap, I was kindof limping. I wasn't limping because it hurt or anything, it was werid, my leg felt like it wanted to roll forward too quickly or something. like, it wouldnt let me finish that step, it was weird. Do you think it's too soon to be running again?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stress fracture or shin slpints? Rss Feed