General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints/Stress Fracture Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-14 10:38 PM

Kerrville, TX
Subject: Shin Splints/Stress Fracture
I made a serious mistake, about 6 weeks ago. I had planned to do a 30 minute time trial run. I usually do this on a soft track. However, I had to take my son swimming, so I decided to just run on the sidewalk (I know....foolish). Well, the hard sidewalk combined with a 30 minute all out run, I developed a very serious case of shin splints (maybe even a stress fracture).

So, I took off for 6 weeks from running (kept up the biking and swimming and added elliptical).

All the pain was gone (most of the pain is when I touched the area that was hurt). So, I decided to do a 1 min run and 1 min walk - for 30 minutes (15 min of running / 15 min of walking). Shins were a little sore, but not to bad (only sore when touched).

Next, I tried strides (and doubled my rest time between the 6 strides).

Well, the pain is back - not when running or walking --- just when touched.

Needless to say, I am very frustrated!!! I thought FOR SURE that 6 weeks off would have been enough time to heal this.

How long is this going to be a problem???

Thanks.

2005-01-15 10:54 PM
in reply to: #103984

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
Subject: RE: Shin Splints/Stress Fracture
I long time ago I went to a Sport Dr. for shin splints. He gave me anti-inflammatories and said to take 6 weeks off. That did the trick. You may want to go see a Dr. and tell him your story. I would think 6 weeks would be enough to heal the common stress fracture too, but who am I to really say.

Anytime I start to get sore shins, I immediately halt running on the pavement and begin to aquajog for several days. Then, when I start up again, I wont run everyday, but every other day with aquajogging mixed in.

I cant handle running to many days in a row even when I'm in awesome running shape. It seems like my body just can't handle the stress. Cross training is the way to go for me.

I hope you find some answers,

Randy
2005-01-16 2:14 PM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
I second the thoughts of taking an anti-inflamatory, and Motrin for 6 weeks should do the trick as long as you are resting up, which it sounds like you did.

What about the shoes? Are they a new pair that you have never worn before or are they ready to replace?

I know I begin to get shin splints every time my shoes have had enough. The first time this happened a few years ago, I couldn't figure out what was wrong, and I took a month off with Motrin, but when I returned it was no better. Finally, someone recommended I change shoes and the pain was gone almost immediately. Now at the first hint of pain in the shins I retire the shoes to lesser stress wearing.

When you say that your leg is not very sore when walking/running, but is sore when touched and is inflamed, leads me to think it more of a soft tissue damage issue as opposed to a stress fracture. Have you tried ice/heat in addition to the Motrin? Or topical muscle-relaxant rubs?

You are definitely getting to the point where I wouldn't mess around with it too much longer (definitely not for another 4-6 week cycle) and should have it investigated with at least an xray. It's easy for me to say with the free health care for us up here, but if it's not an issue, go see your doc or even sports-physiotherapist.
2005-01-16 2:42 PM
in reply to: #104445

Kerrville, TX
Thanks for the replies!

When I did the time trial, I used an older pair of shoes. Since then I have been using a pair that has about 50 miles on them AND I have been using a brand new pair. Whichever pair I use seems to cause a problem.

I start the motrin and Ice/heat.
2005-01-16 8:24 PM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
keep us posted on how you're doing!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints/Stress Fracture Rss Feed