Tricalifornia
57F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 17m 31s
Overall Rank = 1001/1619
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/204
Pre-race routine:

My wife and I arrived in San Francisco on Friday afternoon. We spent Friday walking around the Fisherman's Warfh area as that is where we stayed. We had dinner on Friday night with my in-laws as they came into town as well. On Saturday I got up and picked up my bike from Bike and Roll (I rented a road bike for this race), we had lunch at the Cliff House with my in-laws and my wife's Aunt and Uncle who live in SF. After that my wife and I went to the expo and picked up my packet. We had dinner that night at an Italian resturant and hit the sack around 9. I woke up around 4:30, had a bagel and a gatorade and headed out. Got to transition around 5:15 setup and was on the bus to the Pier. Hung out around the Pier until 6:45 and then got on the boat.
Event warmup:

Rode the bike down to transition
Swim
  • 37m 16s
  • 2414 meters
  • 01m 32s / 100 meters
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I probably could shave a couple of minutes off my time if I didn't stop to look at the views and if I wasn't so far left.
Transition 1
  • 08m 30s
Comments:

I changed at T1 out of my wetsuit into a pair of shoes for the run to transition. It was about a 3/4 of a mile run. Once I got to transition I threw on my bike shoes, helmet and sunglasses, put on some additional sunscreen and was off.

Not much, I was happy with my overall transition time.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 48s
  • 18 miles
  • 14.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was extremly hilly. I was also riding this course on a rental road bike that I had never ridden before. I didn't feel like shipping out my tri bike and paying the cost of it. I was able to rent a Trek 2.3 road bike for $80. I was hesitant going down the hills with this bike as I had never ridden it before, plus I was dumb and forgot to bring extra tubes. I didn't want to flat. I did drop the chain once on the uphill section just after you make the left hand turn on the return trip by the Cliff House

Bring my bike. If I brought my bike, I'm sure I could shave 10 - 15 minutes off of this time. Overall I was happy as I don't have many hills to ride and I was riding a rental bike that wasn't fit to me and I had never ridden before.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Went well. I changed out of the bike shoes, into running shoes. Put on my race belt and hat, re-applied some sun screen and was off.

Nothing much was happy with the time.
Run
  • 1h 15m 55s
  • 8 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was extremely congested. It was hard to pass people on the run. My hip and calf were bothering my some, this slowed my progress. The sand ladder wasn't that bad, I thought the normal hills were harder than the ladder. My time on the ladder was 3:30. The course has some unbelievable views.

With the course being so narrow it was tough to pass. I would go a little harder in the open area's to make up some time. Plus make sure my legs are healthy.
Post race
Event comments:

I thought this was a well run race. It is something that everybody who does triathlons should try and do at least once. There is no other race like it out there. I had a great time and will be signing up for sure again next year.

Last updated: 2008-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:16 | 2414 meters | 01m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/204
Overall: 0/1619
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Course was awesome. The boat anchored just off Alcatraz Island. After the pro's went off, they tried to send us off in waves but it was a free for all. I got in line and got to the edge and jumped. As soon as I hit the water I started to swim to get away from the boat. The water wasn't as cold as I thought it would be. I began to site off the tower keeping it at my 1:00. I stoped a few times to take in the view and they were unbelievable. As I got closer to shore I was actually a little too far to my left. I had to aim right and let the current take my to shore. Overall it was a great swim, nothing like I've ever done before.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 56F / 13C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:48 | 18 miles | 14.84 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Course was extremely hilly.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:15:55 | 08 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: First mile and a half were flat along the marina and waterfront. Once we went under the Golden Gate Bridge it was straight up a narrow path. Of course there is the beach run and sand ladder
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-12 11:10 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon

2008-06-13 12:45 AM
in reply to: #1462301

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon
You did it on a rented bike? I'm impressed. It was a technical course, and very rough. Good race.
2008-06-13 12:58 AM
in reply to: #1462301

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon

Nice job on the race. You did really well--especially on the rental bike. You should be very happy. Now every time you look at the rock you'll know that it YOUR island!

Congrads.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Rss Feed