General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spectating at IMLP Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-12 3:21 PM

Veteran
Subject: Spectating at IMLP
Hi All (espesh experienced CT IMLP'ers - I know you are out there)
Am mulling going up to LP to watch the IM and am wondering if anyone has input on good places to watch and hit on the course, how easy it is to get around on race day, etc etc.

2008-06-12 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1463220

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Subject: RE: Spectating at IMLP
My family came up last year and will be up again this. They hung near the transition area after they left the swim area. They saw me several times. The crowds are pretty big but if you have an idea what time your racer will be passing you can plan it out ahead.
2008-06-13 6:02 AM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,

Likewise my wife and kids were there to spectate / vol while I was out there last year (I'm planning to be up there to spectact, vol, register for '09 this year).  They hung out on shore down near where the Hilton is to watch the swim start, positioned themselves on the corner by Main Street to watch me and the CT/MA gang run from swim to T1, were at bike special needs where I was able to stop and get some hugs and chat for a sec.  They then volunteered for about 4h at the Boathouse Aid station which was a great spot for them and for me.  For them they got to see everyone (folks finishing the bike, folks on the run) and even made it into the DVD and VS coverage.  Perfect location for me as it was a great mental boost to see them at mile 12 and then on my return from the turnaround.   Ultimately, they positioned themselves on the grassy hill along side the finish stretch on the oval.  As mentioned above, the crowds are big and it helped them that I was able to estimate times when I thought I would be at certain locations so they new when and where to be and could plan for grabbing lunch, dinner, etc.

They had no problems / issues  walking around the area although they pretty much stayed right in town and walked everywhere. 

Other spots to consider (based on where I appreciated seeing folks when I was out there) are:

Papa Bear (although it may be a hike to get out there):  incredible as an athlete to climb that hill with people lining each side of you yelling

On the run course, the corner of Main Street and I believe Sentinel Road.  Tough hill climging back onto Main Street.  As an athlete I appreciated all the folks there hollering encouragement. 

2008-06-13 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1463752

User image

West Simsbury, CT

IMLP is a GREAT spectator course.

Two ways to do it.  First of all, each discipline is a 2 lap affair, which means that hanging around in town near transition is a no brainer and affords the ability to see your racer 4-6 times.  You can also hang out all along Mirror Lake and see your racer 4 times.  Tough to go wrong here.

A more interesting way to watch the race is to bring your bike and follow the race in reverse!  Simply get on the bike course and watch the race as you're working out!  This is a great way to watch as you enjoy the scenery, get a great ride in and watch the fun.

2008-06-13 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran

IMLP is a wonderfully spectator friendly course!  Last year, I was able to get deep down by the start finish (got some amazing pics & the energy is contagioius!) but it's hard to see your swimmer come out, very tightly packed crowd.  If you feel like running around, you can see your athlete several times (I saw my BF 7 times throughout the day).  I hung out at the following places:

Bottom of the hill after T1, coming out of the high school....then I camped out over by where the swim exit hits the street, right behind the Appalachian Hotel...threw down a blanket & got a wonderful view of every cyclist puffing up that little incline before the swing into town...after the 2nd loop, I ran down to the T2 exit and saw him coming out for the run & back into town then again before coming into the finish - where I was lucky enough to cross the finish line with him...love this course, am going up there for a training camp next weekend and totally excited to be a spectator again this year! 

2008-06-13 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
I spectated last year and it was a blast. We moved around quite a bit but the run out and back next to the lake is a great place to see the bikers coming in on both loops and the runners on both loops. I volunteered at the aid station there and it was a lot of fun. Then we moved to the main street hill and camped out on some benches to watch our friends come in. There was a pizza place nearby so we grabbed a pizza and some sodas and hung out for several hours.
You will want to bring your own toilet paper because by the end of the day the portolets have none .

2008-06-13 3:05 PM

Veteran
LOL. Love TP tips.
2008-06-17 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
By the by, I mean Adirondack Hotel...I seriously realized I made that error in my post, in my sleep last night.  HA
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spectating at IMLP Rss Feed