Cyclesmith
18C / 64F
Overcast
Total Time = 33m 51s
Overall Rank = 3/12
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special; bike commute and swimming today; just a good hard session to see what I could do :)
Event warmup:

Rode from home to the start (5') and did 15' on the course; some pickups to race pace and just settling in to the aero position.
Bike
  • 33m 51s
  • 20 kms
  • 35.45 km/hr
Comments:

Got to the start just as the first athlete was heading out; ended up being the last registered so the last to go out. It had started raining during my warmup but it had tapered off and the sun was out by the time I started. There were some fast guys there so I just wanted to catch as many people as possible. Went out hard (downhill) and rode steady to the stop sign/ Felt good and in control; could have made some time up on the corner but I slowed a lot to check for traffic. Powered up the hill and then started cruising. This section has several rollers (including one pretty steep one) and my goal was to just power up and then fly down. After that, it is a fairly flat section to the turnaround; due to traffic I lost a couple of seconds here as well. Didn't catch anyone going out but was getting close by the turnaround. After the turnaround, tried to stay steady and not lose much time (net uphill and into the wind for a longer period on the return). Started catching athletes; caught two just as the rollers started and caught sight of two more coming towards the stop sign. From the stop sign to the finish it is mainly uphill and just focused on riding as hard as I could up the hill; caught two more athletes and realized I was close to a PB for the course; kept pushing and beat my best time by 7"; definitely take that since my previous best was on a calm night so the wind made things harder.
What would you do differently?:

I was 2" out of second and 4" out of first; I would take the turns faster and if I really want to hammer the course, break out the shoe covers and aero wheels. Last season, the guy who was first was usually just over 2 minutes in front of me; hopefully I can stay close to him throughout the season :)
Post race
Warm down:

Rode home (6')

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind; taking corners easy; only the second time on the tri bike this year.

Event comments:

Good ITT; nice to get back into them again :)

Last updated: 2008-06-12 12:00 AM
Biking
00:33:51 | 20 kms | 35.45 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 3/12
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on Bisset Road; some hills, road was wet and there was some wind. Couple of rough patches but smooth overall.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90+
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-12 6:10 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Cyclesmith ITT

2008-06-13 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1463555

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Cyclesmith ITT
nice TT dude, I can't wait to be able to get onmy back and start doing the TT series up here
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cyclesmith ITT Rss Feed