General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bit by a dog Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2005-01-15 11:57 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: Bit by a dog
Today I was riding with a buddy of mine. There was a car stopped at a stop sign and the driver was asking a lady for directions. The lady was holding a dog on a leash. My buddy went on the left of the car and I went to the right. My new bike is very quite and the dog didn't see or hear me until I was right next to her. In the Friday poll when we were asked what would we do if we were scared, Well Amanda's (The Dog) first reaction is to bite . I had just passed the car when I felt it...chomp! I let out stream of 4 letter words, pulled up my shorts leg and there it was, 6 teeth marks and some blood. We stopped at the end of the block and the lady and her dog walked up. She asked what happened and when I told her she about cried. She said her dog has never bitten anyone before, but is scared of skateboarders. She asked if there was anything she could do, but there was nothing. I asked if Amanda had her shots and the lady said she did. It's a good thing that my legs are pretty muscluar, there wasn't anything for Amanda to grab on to. Now if she got a bite of my belly, Amanda would still be attatched

When I got back home I called the doctor and she said that since the dog's teeth didn't break my shorts that I should wait to see how I feel over the next few days. If I don't feel good or if it looks like an infection then I need to come in for a shot

It's funny that I am usually pretty skiddish about car doors, but I spent the rest of the ride noticing how many dogs there were out.

So everybody,be careful out there... even of cute little Lassie-type dogs
Tom

2005-01-16 12:01 AM
in reply to: #104316

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Subject: RE: Bit by a dog
I'll make sure not to sneak up on any unknowing canines out there. You must've caught it by surprise for her to react like that. Keep those leg muscles strong for any further attacks!
2005-01-16 12:02 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-01-16 12:05 AM
in reply to: #104319

Elite
San Diego
Lara_SD - 2005-01-15 9:02 PM

The owner must of been very releived by your understanding of the situation. 

Lara

At one point the owner said " You are taking this rather well"
But what could I do? Yell at the owner or the dog?
2005-01-16 12:05 AM

Veteran
MO
Ouch! I'm glad both you and Amanda were okay!
2005-01-16 12:36 AM
in reply to: #104320

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Well, the way society is these days she probably expected you to sue her for everything she owns. And the sad thing is...you'd probably win if you did.

madcow - 2005-01-16 12:05 AM

Lara_SD - 2005-01-15 9:02 PM

The owner must of been very releived by your understanding of the situation.

Lara

At one point the owner said " You are taking this rather well"
But what could I do? Yell at the owner or the dog?

2005-01-16 12:45 AM

Veteran
Eagle River, Alaska
Its true, if you sued she would probably have to get the dog put down and give you a settlement. We bought our neighbors a new car after they maced our dog, got bit and sued us. We had to get the dog put down too!!

It was a shame as it was a great dog and had never been agressive at all!

As a dog owner, thanks for not sueing!!

Jamie
2005-01-16 1:50 AM
in reply to: #104326

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan

Tom, sorry to hear about the bite.  But it's good that you are OK and it wont set your training back for IM.

I also commend you on your response to the situation.  As an Australian, I can tell you that America has a terrible reputation throughout the rest of the world when it comes to "crazy" law suits.  It's refreshing to know that it's only the few bad apples that are responsible for this obviously undeserved reputation.

2005-01-16 2:00 AM

3 Letters. B. B. Q.

In all seriousness, the little nippers seem to like to go for the front tire when I'm around.

If I'm out on the highway and its a farm dog, they come trotting out, I bark at them when they get about four feet away.

Surprises them at the very least.
2005-01-16 10:33 AM

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Wait, there was blood? Was the blood from the bite, as in it broke the skin? If so, I probably would've still gone in to the doc and gotten it cleaned (to prevent infection) and shots. There's no way I'd trust the owner of a dog that just bit me about shot history, and even then it won't do anything about an infection.

My dad-in-law was bit by a dog while on his bike a few years ago. Some people were walking it (off lead) across the street in the opposite direction he was going. He passed by and the dog turned around, ran across the street, and bit him in the calf. The people took off, running away. He went to the hospital and got the shots, and had to have the bites flushed out with cleanser to prevent infection.

If it had been me in that situation, I probably still would have reported the incident to Animal Control. Would hate to have the same thing happen to a little kid.
2005-01-16 1:54 PM

Expert
Montreal
I love dogs when they are in a yard or in the park playing. I hate them when I am running or cycling. They like to chase things. The owners invariably seem to feel it is my fault for being in motion to begin with. It's hard to fault the animal - but the owners need a good talking to a lot of the time not that it is worth your while to waste your breath as they are invariably the same slack jaws that drove the teachers nuts in high school.

Good on you for reacting in a restrained fashion - it shows maturity. It would be nice if the owner considered muzzling the animal when she had it in public though if it is prone to biting or nipping.

2005-01-16 3:50 PM

Chelsea, MI
I would have to agree that if there was blood you should definitely get it checked out. I was bitten by a "friendly" dog once, and it broke the skin so I went to the hospital to have it cleaned out. There was no law suit and the dog wasn't put down, but the police are required to file reports about this kind of stuff, and the owner's insurance had to pay for the hospital bill. Plus, animal control tested the dog for rabies so I would know if I had to get a shot or not.

I know this wasn't the case here, but I get really frustrated when owner's of aggressive dogs don't keep them tied up. There is one that lives around the corner from me that is ALWAYS in the front yard, and ALWAYS chases me when I go for runs. The owner apologizes every single time, but I'm waiting for him to clue in that his dog is a menace. A good trick I learned from my mom is to stop and face the dog direcly, point a finger at it, and yell/scream in your meanest voice "NO!" Even mean dogs will usually stop because they're surprised.
2005-01-16 4:29 PM

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
My boss - an avid marathon runner - would run his short days with his dog - Toby. Toby ends up snapping at a passing jogger and rips some clothing and breaks her skin. Long story short - she goes to the hospital. Animal control is required to be notified for dog bites. Boss gets a "visitor" from animal control to view where he is being kept, make sure there's no maltreatment. No testing was done on Toby for rabies, although they did review his immunizations. Toby under house arrest for 30 days and the boss has to pay any healthcare bills. Everything back to normal although Boss does keep leash much shorter now and always stays in between the dog and any other strangers.
2005-01-16 4:53 PM

Expert
Wandering through AZ
It's been a few years, but when I used to bike way out in farm country there was this pair of hunting dogs that would always come runnin and nip at my heels and tires. They happened to live at the base of a hill, which greatly improved my hill climbing :-)
The owners were never around, so I took the pepper spray route. By the time they regained their composure I was far enough up the hill to get away with no one worse for the wear.

Glad to hear you're ok Tom. Definitely get it cleaned well.
2005-01-16 6:14 PM

Master
Plant City, FL

There are several dogs that chase me along my bike route.  I take an extra water bottle with water and vinegar to squirt at them.    One of the little yippy dogs got my husband's ankle one day and he gave a swift kick to it's head with his carbon shoe.  That little dog hasn't ever chased us again!! 

Glad to hear you're ok and that you're sensible about the dog acting out of fear.  Lots of people out there are not, and I'm sure the dog's owner is very relieved!!

2005-01-16 6:31 PM

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Glad to hear you're ok, but I happen to agree that you should get it looked at and cleaned up but also notify the police to file a report of this incident. You never know, this could be a new trend for the animal and he could bit again and this time to real damage and worse to a youngster.

cathleen

2005-01-16 7:14 PM
in reply to: #104535

Expert
Utah

houston-tri-mamma - 2005-01-16 4:31 PM Glad to hear you're ok, but I happen to agree that you should get it looked at and cleaned up but also notify the police to file a report of this incident. You never know, this could be a new trend for the animal and he could bit again and this time to real damage and worse to a youngster. cathleen

Amen!

2005-01-16 7:16 PM

Altadena, CA
Just curious, but...
How many of you advocating for a police report own dogs?
2005-01-16 7:54 PM
in reply to: #104496

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-01-16 7:55 PM
in reply to: #104545

Veteran
MO
I'm with you, lheiss. A dog who reacts in fright upon being "buzzed" by a cyclist is not being vicious, she's acting self-defensively. I think Tom's reaction was 100% appropriate, and I would absolutely hate to see any harm come to a good dog because of overreaction.

Dr. Leah -- they probably didn't actually TEST the dog, I would guess they just kept him for observation for a week. I got bitten by a dog while I was running about a year ago, and I was fine, and not concerned about the situation. An observer called the police (unbeknownst to me) and they ended up taking the dog into custody for a week to make sure he wasn't exhibiting any symptoms of rabies, since the owners couldn't find his vaccination records (dumb owners!!! Always have proof of vaccination!!! It could save your dog a lot of misery!!! Being locked in a cage for a week in a strange place with no one you know is not fun!!!)

Edited by Angie 2005-01-16 7:58 PM
2005-01-16 8:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
i agree with lheiss: i too wonder how many people responding to this thread are dog owner's. the problem overall is the dog owner/guardian and not the dog. clearly this woman had her dog on a leash and the dog was surprised and caught off guard and has never bitten anyone before. I think you handled the situation in the right way and more people should learn from you.

It sounds like some of you had bad experiences and that's unfortunate. I don't live in a rural area, but whenever I do see a dog on the sidewalk as I run by in the street (which, by the way, if you aren't running in the street you should, unless you are on a trail) I smile at the dog and say hello. Sometimes the dog continues to bark (some dogs just get freaked out over cars/people/bikes/skateboards - that's their issue, and really one that can be sorted out with a trainer, but the majority of people don't train their dogs and THAT is the root of the problem. But I digress...

I agree that there are way too many irresponsible dog owner's out there, but this dog should not be muzzled here on out for this. It was an accident. And instead of 30 days house arrest, the dog and owner should be required to go through behavior training and the dog will no longer be afraid of cars/people/bikes, etc... I have seen very aggressive dogs overcome all sorts of issues. No one ever looks at training as a solution, only the easy one of putting a good dog down.

2005-01-16 9:19 PM

Veteran
Gardner KS (near Kansas City)
I used to run in a rural area - I always made the turn around a corner b4 a big st bernard came out and started barking & chasing me away -one day I either I was slower or he was faster than normal and he came on me fast, I turned to face him and he kept comming - my first reaction was to swing at him, my right cross caught him across the jaw, he let out a mild yelp and backed off, he never bothered me again - Of course I do not addvocate the same but fear caused me to react - be on guard, my fellows
2005-01-16 9:39 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Yikes! Sorry to hear you got bitten Tom. I'm glad that you are OK and I'm glad to see how well you handled it. Keep an eye on that leg - if Amanda is anything like my dogs, she'll root around her own yard for all the rabbit crap she can eat...

-Frank
2005-01-16 9:46 PM
in reply to: #104545

Elite
Tucson, AZ
lheiss - 2005-01-16 4:16 PM
Just curious, but...
How many of you advocating for a police report own dogs?

Not that it matters in the least, but I currently own 2 rescued greyhounds. As a child growing up, my family always owned several dogs, and my mother founded a local animal welfare group. I'm currently a volunteer for Arizona Greyhound Rescue, as well as several local animal welfare advocacy organizations. I'm also a vegetarian. Satisfied?

Nobody is putting this dog on death row, or labeling it as a "dangerous dog." However, some responsibility falls on both parties in this situation.

If you are on your bicycle and you are hit by a motorist, you would probably ask for their name, address, and insurance information. Even if you do not note any injuries at that point in time, you could develop injuries later on (like a few days later) as a result of the incident. Now why after getting bit by a dog would you overlook getting contact information "just in case"?

In a dog bite situation, the victim should get the contact information from the owner of the dog. Merely asking "is the dog current on their shots" isn't going to cut it. The dog may be up to date on DHLPP, but not rabies, and the owner could truthfully answer "yes" to that question. As a responsible pet owner, the owner of the dog should get the contact info of the victim. The victim should then get proper medical attention. The victim may not even need rabies shots. But they may need a tetanus shot. All depends on the evaluation by the medic. Triathletes are usually concerned about their health, and one would think having this peace of mind would weigh a little more heavily.

The victim should also report the incident to animal control. Animal control isn't going to automatically confiscate the dog and put it down. They will, however, check into everything such as any existing reports on past incidents, as well as how current the animal is on vaccines including rabies. If the dog is current on vaccines and rabies shots, they may require the dog to be quarantined IN THEIR OWN HOME for a period of time. If not, a quarantine at an animal control facility may be required. But this is for the safety of the animal as well as the victim.

Bottom line: No one can predict when a dog will bite. But reporting it to animal control and getting proper medical attention to the victim ensures that the victim's health is addressed, and the background of the animal is checked out and the incident recorded. No doubt, animal control will keep the incident recorded on file. If the dog doesn't bite again, no big deal. But if it does, that history is there and recorded. And what happens if the next victim is a young child? Past history comes into play a bit more then. Doesn't matter how nice/courteous/sweet/elderly the owner is, nor how little/fuzzy/cute the dog is.
2005-01-17 7:02 AM

Champion
Michigan
dogs DO like rawhide, ya know?(madCOW)  And stop putting peanut butter on before your rides...

Edited by trixie 2005-01-17 7:02 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bit by a dog Rss Feed  

of 1