FIRM
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 21m 55s
Overall Rank = 197/225
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

I had a terrible time getting to sleep last night after spending the day driving to/from my friend's wake, but I think I finally fell asleep around 11:30pm. Got up at 5:00, left at 5:45, got to race site at 6:00. In typical FIRM fashion, the race organizers weren't even there yet. Once they got there and got set up I checked in and then started setting up my transition area. I walked around for a bit, then walked down to the water to check out the hike back up to T1 (more on that later).
Event warmup:

Got my wetsuit on, headed down to the water and swam for 5-10 minutes.
Swim
  • 30m 29s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

At the start of the swim I was towards the back of the wave, which ended up being a mistake because I got caught behind several slower swimmers. The navigation was tough because the buoys were very small, and the wind blowing the rain across the water made for poor visibility. I basically navigated by following the swim caps in front of me (ours were bright yellow). I slowed a bit about a third of the way in after getting kicked in the groin (ouch!) but after a few minutes I was able to pick up the pace again. Two thirds of the way through we started passing folks from the wave in front of us (who had a 3 minute head start) which made me feel great so I picked up the pace a bit before hitting the beach. Considering that I was not pushing hard until the last few hundred yards, I was pleased with my average pace.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the middle of the pack.
Transition 1
  • 08m 2s
Comments:

T1 included a 1/3 mile uphill trail run through the woods, then a 100-yard dash across an open field to the transition racks. I had left my flip-flops near the beach and wore them for the hike through the woods, then took them off and sprinted barefoot across the field. Once I gtt to my rack my transition went very well. Once again I had my shoes already clipped into the pedals, so I was able to run out to the road (through the mud) pretty easily.

If I do this race again, I'll bring another pair of shoes which are easier to do trail running in than my flip-flops. I noticed that several other athletes had a specific pair of shoes for just this segment.
Bike
  • 1h 30m 32s
  • 26 miles
  • 17.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Before the race my coach had asked me to do the bike leg at a moderate pace (18mph), but with the long climbs are steep downhills I found it easier to focus on bringing my average HR down during the ride. Along the way I had a few mishaps, dropping my chain three times and losing a water bottle. Towards the end, my legs started feeling a bit heavy and cold, so I tried to focus on picking up my cadence a bit to get the blood pumping.

I can try and fine tune my front derailleur to avoid dropping the chain, but I also need to remember to shift a little more slowly instead of jamming the shift lever back and forth.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

T2 went pretty well, especially since I had left my running shoes in my transition bucket, so they were nice and dry. I took the time to put on the wristband for my Garmin and grab the unit off my bike, so I could keep track of my HR and pace during the run.
Run
  • 1h 11m 58s
  • 6.25 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start of the run my legs felt great and I was able to maintain a steady pace, but after a few miles my stomach started bothering me. I had to walk/run through the middle part until my stomach calmed down, and I was then able to run the last few miles.

I need to spend more time figuring out what I can eat on the bike that won't upset my stomach on the run, as this was the second time that taking a gel on the bike came back to haunt me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around until my HR came down, then packed up my stuff and hung out with the Landry's folks before heading home.

Event comments:

Given all the challenges I faced today (weather, mechanical problems, GI trouble) I was glad to have finished the race, but I was surprised by how much further back in the pack I was compared to the sprint races earlier this year.

Last updated: 2008-02-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:29 | 1760 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 147/225
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Counter-clockwise loop in the Ashland Reservoir
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 08:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:30:32 | 26 miles | 17.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 169/225
Max HR 183 Avg HR 158
Wind: Some
Course: Two 13 mile loops, rolling hills with a few long, steady climbs.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:11:58 | 06.25 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 218/225
Max HR 176 Avg HR 155
Course: Lollipop-shaped course through a residential area, lots of short but steep hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-06-16 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA
Subject: Ashland Lions Triathlon

2008-06-16 7:57 AM
in reply to: #1468402

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Ashland Lions Triathlon

Great job Scott!

Nice way to adjust with the conditions and when things came up.

I find Oly's are more competitive than sprints so my placement is usually lower.

Great swim and way to work it on the bike.. 

2008-06-16 7:58 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Hey nice race, though you were not at your peak.  The driving the day before must have worn you down.  Glad you went to the race despite all the stuffs happening. 
2008-06-17 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

I was thinking about you doing this race while it was pouring rain Sunday morning.  Nice job getting up and gutting it through!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ashland Lions Triathlon Rss Feed