General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim shortest distance, Is this fair Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-06-17 4:29 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: Swim shortest distance, Is this fair

Ok so I know this is an old and rehashed question/debate, but I have come full circle.

When I first heard about triathlons I was doing open water races. I thought that it didn't seem fair that the swimming distance took the shortest time. Then I read about the history of the first Ironman and thought, alright I understand it for that race, but why the Olympics.

Well now that I've done a few, I have started to visit this website and have come to a certain conclusion. Given the amount of TRAINING TIME required to become a proficient swimmer, time that could be spent training in one of the other disciplines, I believe it may very well be fair. I've read with sympathy (not that they are looking for it) the genuine frustrations athletes are having learning to swim well. I look at what my body naturally does, while doing something as  unnatural as swimming. This was only accomplished by years of training. I do not have to commit much of my training time for the swim, so that gives me a training advantaged over the swimming challenged.

Looking at it from that perspective, I do think the short swims are fair.

2008-06-17 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1472689

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Swim shortest distance, Is this fair
I spend more time swim training than training for the bike or swim and it is still my worst leg of the tri.
2008-06-17 4:44 PM

User image

I am a swimmer, and I've never seen the relatively shorter swim distances as either "fair" or "unfair".  Triathlon is (IMHO) one sport made of three legs, not three sports.  If I am a good swimmer but crappy runner, it's up to me to become a better runner while staying good at the swim.  Unfortunately for me, I am also a crappy biker... so I've just gotten used to being FOP out of the water and MOP-BOP at the end.

Glass half full would say I get to see a lot of racing styles as they pass me

It's just the way it is.

2008-06-17 9:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-06-17 10:49 PM

Veteran
San Diego, CA

One more hard core swimmer agreeing with Chris. FOP-MOP-BOP for me too.

Cheers

2008-06-18 7:56 AM

Giver

This debate comes and goes; it is what it is.

I do think, however, that race directors are missing a pretty cool opportunity in not offering sort of "equi-temporal" triathlons--races where each of the disciplines takes approximately the same time. It could be marketed as a way to "prove" who's the best triathlete--swimmers, cyclists or runners.

It could be a 2 mile swim (which would take elite swimmers ~32 minutes to complete), a 25k bike (which would take elite cyclists ~32 minutes to complete) and a 12k run (which would take elite runners about 32 minutes to complete). Put it together and you've got a race that would take as long, approximately, as an Olympic-distance race (the best triathletes aren't going to approach those individual splits).

2008-06-18 8:07 AM

Expert
North Carolina

We can add some free throws in there while we are at it so it will be fair for the basketball players as well!!! LOL.

2008-06-18 9:36 AM

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA

This is my understanding of how the oly distances came to be.

The distances are set such that the time lost for each disipline between any two choosen percentile finishers is the same.  For instance, in an oly dist race, the 75th percentile finisher and the 25th percentile finisher time may differ by 9 minutes and the time lost will be 3 minutes from each disipline. 

Of course this is only true when doing a large staticistal analysis and not just comparing two people.

Also, a wetsuit legal race essentially makes the swim "shorter" and therefore skews the answers alittle.

I have done my own analysis of a few larger races, you know for fun, and have found this to be escentially true.

2008-06-18 9:55 AM
in reply to: #1473808

Giver
StarGazer - 2008-06-18 10:36 AM

The distances are set such that the time lost for each disipline between any two choosen percentile finishers is the same.  For instance, in an oly dist race, the 75th percentile finisher and the 25th percentile finisher time may differ by 9 minutes and the time lost will be 3 minutes from each disipline.  Can you explainthis a little further? Are you saying that in a race of 100 participants, 25th place will be faster tharn 75th place by 9 minutes overall, and 3 minutes faster in each discipline? Because I don't think that's true.

Of course this is only true when doing a large staticistal analysis and not just comparing two people.

Also, a wetsuit legal race essentially makes the swim "shorter" and therefore skews the answers alittle. So the swim should be even longer to compensate.

I have done my own analysis of a few larger races, you know for fun, and have found this to be escentially true. I may have to check it out.

2008-06-18 9:56 AM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I'd really prefer 1k swim, 56 mile bike, 10k run myself .....
2008-06-18 10:25 AM

Champion
the colony texas
I wish the would have the swim last,,[ yes I understand the whole fatigue issue in the water]  But being a better swimmer than biker or runner, maybe they would slow down a bit on the bike/run to save something for the swim, or they would be hanging from enough kayaks that i would be passing people at the end of a race for once

2008-06-18 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1473201

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
griepsma - 2008-06-17 10:49 PM

Cheers

Me too, it's out of the water as fast as possible just to watch everyone ride or run past me for the rest of the race.
2008-06-18 11:35 AM
in reply to: #1473478

run4yrlif - 2008-06-18 5:56 AM

This debate comes and goes; it is what it is.

I do think, however, that race directors are missing a pretty cool opportunity in not offering sort of "equi-temporal" triathlons--races where each of the disciplines takes approximately the same time. It could be marketed as a way to "prove" who's the best triathlete--swimmers, cyclists or runners.

It could be a 2 mile swim (which would take elite swimmers ~32 minutes to complete), a 25k bike (which would take elite cyclists ~32 minutes to complete) and a 12k run (which would take elite runners about 32 minutes to complete). Put it together and you've got a race that would take as long, approximately, as an Olympic-distance race (the best triathletes aren't going to approach those individual splits).

we have a very short sprint here in Redondo Beach that was designed that way, unfortunately it's just too short.  1/2 mile swim, 6 mile bike 2 mile run.

2008-06-18 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1472736

Sensei
Sin City
ChrisM - 2008-06-17 2:44 PM

I am a swimmer, and I've never seen the relatively shorter swim distances as either "fair" or "unfair".  Triathlon is (IMHO) one sport made of three legs, not three sports.  If I am a good swimmer but crappy runner, it's up to me to become a better runner while staying good at the swim.  Unfortunately for me, I am also a crappy biker... so I've just gotten used to being FOP out of the water and MOP-BOP at the end.

Glass half full would say I get to see a lot of racing styles as they pass me

It's just the way it is.

I agree too.  However, I was a FOP/BOP/MOP but worked on the bike to bring it up.

HOWEVER, I just realized in the last race, I don't enjoy they swim as nearly as much as I used to.  I'm glad it's "short".  It's hard to stay in it mentally now with the sensory deprivation.  Can't see much, can't hear much, can't feel much due to the suit.  Can't eat or drink.  I actually look FORWARD to the bike now that I can hold my own (I can't believe I just said that).....

2008-06-18 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1474125

Sensei
Sin City
erin116 - 2008-06-18 9:04 AM

Cheers

Me too, it's out of the water as fast as possible just to watch everyone ride or run past me for the rest of the race.
2008-06-18 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1474125

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
erin116 - 2008-06-18 11:04 AM

Cheers

This is true for me!

2008-06-18 12:17 PM
in reply to: #1473478

Expert
Southeast

I do think, however, that race directors are missing a pretty cool opportunity in not offering sort of "equi-temporal" triathlons--races where each of the disciplines takes approximately the same time. It could be marketed as a way to "prove" who's the best triathlete--swimmers, cycl

Please forgive a question from ignorance/inexperience, but could someone explain why having three roughly equal lengths (time-wise) would prove which athlete (swimmer/cyclist/runner) is the best athlete?  For that matter, how does any triathlon prove anything about this issue?  I'm not seeing this.

2008-06-18 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1474353

Giver
mdickson68 - 2008-06-18 1:17 PM

I do think, however, that race directors are missing a pretty cool opportunity in not offering sort of "equi-temporal" triathlons--races where each of the disciplines takes approximately the same time. It could be marketed as a way to "prove" who's the best triathlete--swimmers, cycl

Please forgive a question from ignorance/inexperience, but could someone explain why having three roughly equal lengths (time-wise) would prove which athlete (swimmer/cyclist/runner) is the best athlete?  For that matter, how does any triathlon prove anything about this issue?  I'm not seeing this.

I'm not saying it does, just that it would be clever to market a race as such.'

However, it's not a stretch to say that triathlons unfavorably handicap swimmers, both in relative length of the discipline and from the use of wetsuits (which offer a greater advantage to slower/less efficient swimmers than for faster/more efficient swimmers). So, by offering races that negate that disadvantage, you could make the argument that everyone would be competing on a more level playing field.

Think about it: what if the decathalon, for example, gave more points for certain events and less for others. What sense would that make? By having swim distances in races that take 1/4 to 1/6 the time it takes for the cycling and running events, aren't you doing the same thing? 

2008-06-18 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1473885

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA
run4yrlif - 2008-06-18 9:55 AM

The distances are set such that the time lost for each disipline between any two choosen percentile finishers is the same.  For instance, in an oly dist race, the 75th percentile finisher and the 25th percentile finisher time may differ by 9 minutes and the time lost will be 3 minutes from each disipline.  Can you explainthis a little further? Are you saying that in a race of 100 participants, 25th place will be faster tharn 75th place by 9 minutes overall, and 3 minutes faster in each discipline? Because I don't think that's true.

Of course this is only true when doing a large

Kinda, but I shouldn't have used 9 minutes as an example.    I didn't mean to infer that the time diff between 75th and 25th was nine minutes. Instead if we think of the overall time difference as X then the time lost in each disipline would be approx X/3.  Also a race of 100 people is not large enough to be statistically significant.

Also the numbers do work better if you look at the rankings of each disipline.  ie. the time difference btween the 25th and 75th swimmer will be about the same and the time difference between the 25th and 75th runner (or biker), for and oly distance race.   Again, if your statistical pool is lagre enough.

2008-06-18 1:06 PM
in reply to: #1474453

Sensei
Sin City
run4yrlif - 2008-06-18 10:46 AM
mdickson68 - 2008-06-18 1:17 PM

I'm not saying it does, just that it would be clever to market a race as such.'

However, it's not a stretch to say that triathlons unfavorably handicap swimmers, both in relative length of the discipline and from the use of wetsuits (which offer a greater advantage to slower/less efficient swimmers than for faster/more efficient swimmers). So, by offering races that negate that disadvantage, you could make the argument that everyone would be competing on a more level playing field.

Think about it: what if the decathalon, for example, gave more points for certain events and less for others. What sense would that make? By having swim distances in races that take 1/4 to 1/6 the time it takes for the cycling and running events, aren't you doing the same thing? 

It does.  It's based on performance, not place, and they have different values for different events based on the scoring tables.

2008-06-18 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1473885

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA
run4yrlif - 2008-06-18 9:55 AM

Also, a wetsuit legal race essentially makes the swim "shorter" and therefore skews the answers alittle. So the swim should be even longer to compensate.

Well the short answer would be yes.

If you accept my contension that 1.5/40/10 is a "balanced" race without a wetsuit, then to keep it balanced a wetsuit legal race would have to have a slightly longer swim.
I remember recently reading an article (in the USMS magazine) that a wetsuit helps all swimmers equally as far a reduction of a percentage of time.  So if everyones time goes down an  equal percentage you can see that the absolute time differential between a slow and fast swimmer will decrease.
Although I must say that I am not really ready to fully accept the articles' premise as intuitively I feel that wetsuits help slow peaple even more that an equal percentage.  But that could be because a wetsuit helps me more that anyone else I know.  But that fact isn't statistically significant.

2008-06-18 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1474262

Pro
Bartlett, TN

"HOWEVER, I just realized in the last race, I don't enjoy they swim as nearly as much as I used to.  I'm glad it's "short".  It's hard to stay in it mentally now with the sensory deprivation.  Can't see much, can't hear much, can't feel much due to the suit.  Can't eat or drink.  I actually look FORWARD to the bike now that I can hold my own (I can't believe I just said that)....."

My last race, I loved the swim. All the pushing, shoving, foot grabbing, bumping is just a sign that says, this is Triathlon. I never used to look forward to the swim, usually wanted to just survive it, but after alot of hard work in the pool, I look forward it.

Do I wish it was a longer part of the triathlon? Nope, but I do think it thins out the start of a race. I do get frustrated when I get passed by alot of people on the bike, but I know the strides I made in the water and I know it can be done on the bike, just takes some time.

Edited by jford2309 2008-06-18 1:17 PM
2008-06-18 5:32 PM

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

I'm starting to like the reverse Olympic format. That way I could get my weakest leg over when I'm rested. I could then go for it on the bike instead of holding back as I have to now.

I just used a wetsuit in a race for the first time. They seem like cheating to me. The reverse format would solve that. if you wanted to wear one you would have to put it on during the transition from the bike. That would even out the advantage you get from the wetsuit.

Finally, I absolutely agree that after you come out of the water, you must make 2 free throws before you could cross the finish line. The crowd would love it: watching exhausted people coming out of the water with frozen brains trying to make free throws. A perfect format that would be sure to attract more sponsors and TV coverage.

2008-06-18 5:57 PM

Coach
Boston, MA
Just posting for all those swimmers that get passed after the swim is over: you guys have an advanatge over most of us non-swimmers! the swim is the most technical part of triathlons and those of you who swam competitively when young should have already pretty good technique to be FOP at most races even with minimal swim training. This should allow you to work on your limiters (bike/run) and you could be posting solid results. There is no secret why the USAT actively recruits young swimmers to become triathletes as in general they have the potential to excel in the sport more than a cyclist o runner turned into a tri-geek. Just saying
2008-06-18 7:04 PM

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
As a swimmer, nothing is quite as motivating in the week after a Tri as remembering the infinite amount of people who passed you on the bike and the run.

Ever do a Triathlon feeling like you're moving backwards?
Really - when I did my first sprint, I was out of the water in maybe 10th out of 300. I finished ~160th so thats 150 people passing me in an hour. Thats one person every 24 seconds.

----

I remember reading somewhere (aka this may not be correct) that the Olympic distance for the Tri was chosen in order to keep the margin of difference in the elite wave the same size between all three disciplines. It might maximize competitiveness for Pro's, but it becomes a bit skewed at the AG level.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim shortest distance, Is this fair Rss Feed  

of 2