United States
Set-up, Inc
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 43s
Overall Rank = 63/99
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/13
Pre-race routine:

Camped out the night before. Woke up, ate bagel w/ pb, went to race site, set up, etc.
Event warmup:

I am prefacing this race to say that I lost my effing timing chip in the lake BEFORE the race started. So I have no splits, my overall time is approximate (as I was running down the chute screaming my number and saying I lost my chip). Setup has posted the results, so I have overall rank and age group rank. No splits or split ranks...dang.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 820 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

No idea of my time of course, but I think it was pretty good, once I hit the halfway point, there were a lot less people in my wave around and a lot more people from the two waves ahead of me. Kept getting smacked by some woman doing backstroke. Tried to avoid the slower men. Over all, pretty pleased with the swim. I think I can guesstimate my time off of Amy b/c I came out of the water not too long after her.
What would you do differently?:

Swim-wise, nothing, really. Edited to add - my swim must not have been too off. Amy finished in just over 15 minutes and apparently, I came out about a minute behind her. So that's good.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was a semi-mess. Had a teeny bit of trouble getting out of my wetsuit. Worst part of T1 (or rather the bike course, I guess, since it happened after the timing mat) was that my front brake, which I had CHECKED pre-race to make sure it was not rubbing, was rubbing. So I had to stop and fix it. And then try to clip in, going uphill. Yeah, not so much. So I had to run the damn bike up the hill.

Nothing - stupid brake was messed up.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12.43 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Half sucked and almost gave up. Brake was still rubbing and something was rattling on my bike - turns out the bottle cage was loose. So I tossed my water bottle to stop the noise, because let's face it, I can't drink and ride anyway, so the fact that I even bring it is laughable. First two rather large downhills, then all gradually uphill for the next 5 miles to the turnaround. Literally - I was barely managing 12 mph. Luckily, that meant that after the turnaround, it was mostly downhill and I managed to pick up some good speed. Then we had to climb the hills again. And there was one more Luray-caliber downhill. Ugh. Halfway through the bike, I happened to look down and realized that my timing chip was gone. Fuck.

Move to a place that is flat.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 was basically wasted trying to find my timing chip. I was hoping that it had just slipped off with my wetsuit and although I'd have to T1, bike and T2 split, I could carry it with me and get my run and overall times. But it wasn't there.

Not lose my damn chip.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Oh my god. I hate hills. The downhills were fine, but it was like a rollercoaster, tons of long, gradual climbs that I just cannot do well. And I was pissed about my timing chip and I had to pee. So I just stuck it out and tried not to die. The first thing we did was climb a big hill, and since it was an out and back, going down it was the last thing we did. I hauled ASS down that thing - I literally though that my legs were going to come out from under me. Full-on sprint down and through the finish chute, yelling "Number 17!!! I LOST MY CHIP!!!"

Run hills. Lots and lots of hills.
Post race
Warm down:

So pissed about my chip, asked officials if they'd been able to at least get an overall time for me, which they did. Told them I lost my chip. Went into the lake to cool off - almost in tears at this point - I'm floating there and some guy up on the dock says, to his daughter playing in the water on the boat ramp "Hey, there's a chip down there!" So I immediately pounce on it and go running back up to the finish tent so they can check to see if it's mine (these chips did not have numbers on them). Luckily, it was, so I do not owe Set-up $30.

Post-race food, however, was AWESOME. BBQ...mmm...and bluegrass music. Gotta love the country.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Everything that went wrong with this race, did. I really, really need to find some places to train that have REAL hills, esp. for biking. There are neighborhoods nearby that I can run in.

Event comments:

This is a pretty good race, if you have the hills. Anyone could fly on the second half of that bike course and at least it somewhat made up for my time sucking. The run was definitely brutal though - the worst I've had to do.

Last updated: 2008-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 820 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/99
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Lake swim. Around the buoys. In the water - what else would it be?
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:00:00 | 12.43 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly as a btitch.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Long, gradual rollers. I hate the person who picked this course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-21 4:41 PM

Subject: Bath County Triathlon

2008-06-21 7:20 PM
in reply to: #1480222

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Bath County Triathlon
Way to go hanging in there on a rough day!  At least you found the chip
2008-06-22 6:52 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job, dealing with all that couldn't have been very fun but you still finished!
2008-06-22 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
what a great learning opportunity for you. You learnt that you can cope and finish even when things go belly up! Well done.
2008-06-22 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
I can't believe after all that you found your chip! that's amazing! bummer about not having the splits though. I also suffered on those big crazy hills on the run. OUCH! Setup's website seems to be down today, so we'll have to be in suspense a bit longer.
2008-06-22 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Sometimes races dont go as planned...it has or is going to happen to all of us and what truly shows what type of person you are is how you react to it.

You had a lot go wrong this race and yet still finished and finished in a respectable time. It is just one more thing you can look back at and say, I have been through that and was able to finish.

Based on your total time and given what happened in the race, I think you did a great job.

Z
2008-06-22 2:11 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
x2 what Dan said. Great finish!
2008-06-22 7:44 PM
in reply to: #1481206

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
WAY TO GO!!!

Nice job of going with the flow during the timing chip mess. Sounds like a fun race.

Again, WAY TO GO!!!
2008-06-22 10:56 PM

User image

Minneapolis
i was in this race. those were crazy hills on the bike and run. in minnesota, we define "hilly" a little differently. everything is pretty flat in MN, so i was not really prepared for the course. i managed it, but hilly really was an understatement.

btw, i saw you cross the finish line at the race shouting your number. i'm glad they gave you your final time and that you found your chip.
2008-06-23 2:13 AM

User image

Melon Presser

CONGRATULATIONS! You stuck it through even when everything went wrong. Now that's a REAL triathlete.

Not too long ago you were totally freaked out about biking downhill at all, so this is major progress.

2008-06-23 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
You're right! You were right behind me at the finish! Results are finally posted, and you're the blank one, except for the final time. At least they gave you that.

2008-06-23 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Way to hang in there and adapt to things not going your way.  Congratulations on a great race.

Ernie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bath County Triathlon Rss Feed