General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Fl, Florida
United States
Multirace
Total Time = 1h 22m 54s
Overall Rank = 599/730
Age Group = Clyde 225, 40+
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Pre-race routine:

Up on time. Packed up the car and headed out. The ususal
Event warmup:

Got marked and set up T. Saw a few friends and made a few new ones. Ran a few sprints up and down the beach to get the HR going. Felt uber confident.
Swim
  • 08m 47s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m / 100 yards
Comments:

Had my best swim in a sprint yet. Felt great. Great stroke, great breathing, not too gassed.
What would you do differently?:

Nada
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

A great T1. 1:35 is moving right along for me.

Nada
Bike
  • 33m 15s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Here's where things started to go awry. By the 2nd or 3rd mile I felt my legs get REAL heavy and started to burn. Didn't think too much of it other than that this would have to be a gut check kind of race where the pain level was a bit higher than usual. Struggled up the bridge but managed to keep a fairly steady pace on the flats. I do not have my cycle computer on during races since I do not want to psych myself up or down. Just want to go balls out and see the speed when they post the results. Really worked hard on this leg; harded than usual for this track. This concerned me a bit.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Every time I opt not to take the extra 30 secs. to put on socks, I pay for it. For some reason I opted not to this time and would soon pay for it.

SOCKS
Run
  • 37m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy shit did the wheels come off during the run. By the 1/2 mile point I knew it was going to be brutal. My legs felt like stone and burned like hell. I pushed as hard as I could but just could not get any result. Stopped at mile 1 water station hopeing to get some second wind; nothing. By 1.75, I knew this was not my day. My body just would not perform. At mile 2 I was looking at 23 mins...holy fucking shitballs! My knee started hurting at mile 2.5. I walked/jogged the rest of the way from about mile 2, cursing myself the entire time. I wanted to DNF and just walk in and head home, but kept thinking of Rutger Beke at Kona and figured if he had the balls to just finish, out of respect I should as well. My feel started rubbing raw because I did not have socks. My quads were shot. I just could not GO. Pretty frustrating when your mind is yelling "GO GO" but your body just cannot respond. Finished with a 12+ per mile pace after PR-ing this course last month with a 10:04 pace. WTF???

Wear Heelys
Post race
Warm down:

Was in shock at what happened. Talked to some folks and grabbed my gear and headed out with my tail between my legs. Had I run my goal of 1:17, I still would have missed the podium.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No clue. Very frustrated.

Event comments:

I don't know what happened. I've noticed over the past month that I struggle to do the volume I used to do just a few months ago. A 4 mile run a few months ago was a piece of cake whereas lately it has been brutal to finish. I thought I trained enough these past few weeks. I don't know what is wrong. I feel like I'm going backwards. Doubt I will do the 2nd and 3rd race of this triology. Maybe I'll change my mind. But today I'm pretty tri-ed out and frustrated. Can't have good days everyday, I realize. But the bad ones suck ass nonetheless.

Last updated: 2008-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:47 | 440 yards | 01m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/730
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:15 | 10 miles | 18.05 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:44 | 03.11 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-22 11:18 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Subject: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1

2008-06-23 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1481004

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1

Hey Big Sexy...

Good Job!!! even all the problems...but...the important is to Finish...and You did it!!!

2008-06-25 6:53 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
some days are just better than others.  don't let one bad apple race ruin the whole bunch.   so many factors involved in a good/bad race:  nutrition/hydration, weather, sleep, stress, training, mental attitude.  it's these hard ones that make you stronger - you'll kick butt in your next one!!!! 
2008-06-25 10:11 AM

User image

Regular
Hey, good job out there. I think these are key races that will make you a better triathlete in the long run.

From what I see, I thinkyou must have put too much into the bike leg of the race. Not necessarilly throughout the whole bike ride, but sometimes people start the bike too hard out and it pays later on the run. Maybe, that's what happened or you just had a bad day.

But it will only make you stronger.

Take it easy,

FR

Edited by feliperubio 2008-06-25 10:14 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 Rss Feed