General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Fl, Florida
United States
Multirace
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Packed my bag the night before and went to bed early. Got up at 5:30am and got dressed. Had a couple of waffles for breakfast and my daily meds/vitamins. Felt very excited but not really nervous. Packed up my car and Marcello (the bike) and drove to the Key. I listened to Michael Buble in the car on the drive over... his "Call Me Irresponsible" cd was just what I needed to pump me up. I racked Marcello and prepared my transition. A handsome fellow competitor, Scott, was nice enough to take my picture... we noticed the puddles in the grass and thought what a pisser... but it could've been worse. Ran into Bill (The Big Sexy) at transition, which was great! Then I went to get body-marked and headed to the beach for the swim start.
Event warmup:

To warm-up I did a little swimmy... the water felt awesome, not too cold and not too warm. It was a beautiful morning too, sunny and just perfect. Got the race photographer to take a picture, stretched a bit and experienced the awesome spectacle that is the swim start of a triathlon. Seeing everyone get in the water always amazes me because its like getting into the middle of a washing machine cycle. Arms and legs flailing about the splashing water... its just way cool to see. My wave started at 7:55am sharp.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 440 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

This time I decided to get into the washing machine as opposed to what I normally do, which is hang to the back of the pack. There were a couple of times when a leg touched my arm and I touched someone's leg, which was a pain, but I managed to stay w/ the group. I felt strong and think I had a good swim time, for me. I want to say I was out of the water in under 10min but I won't know until the oficial times are posted. My new Zoot tri-suit was comfortable. As I'm exiting the water I hear my name called and to my surprise I see my friend, Big Dave, at the swim finish. He held his hand out and I yelled back, "you da man!" God what a great moment. There's nothing like seeing a friendly face out there cheering you on. All in all, great swim!
What would you do differently?:

Practice more in the open water, do more bricks, swim more.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition went smoothly.

Practice more.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 10 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike and the ride went well. As I approached the bridge, which I hadn't trained on AT ALL this year, my mental effort got me through. I repeated the mantra, "the bridge is my bitch" over and over again. I geared down and just got it done. Still not comfortable w/ coasting down the bridge at those un-godly speeds, but did a little better on the way back. Had a really good ride. Drank the water in my bottle in preparation for the run. Getting off the bike my legs were noodles and it was a bit hard. But my spirits were lifted sky-high when I saw my friend Maria there taking my picture! Moments later I saw Dave again... both were right at the bike finish, cheering me on and taking pictures. OMG that was so, so great to see them there. I've never had anyone come out to support me at a triathlon, so it really touched my heart that they were there.

Ride more.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition went smoothly.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The run was hard. I mostly walked the first mile b/c I couldn't get my legs back from the bike. It was hot and humid and my legs weren't cooperating. I noticed numerous huge cracks in the asphalt which, for some reason, made me think of lava fields in Kona, which then made me think of the Hawaii Ironman and Ron Blaise. The Blaiseman. What an inspiration that man was. I even yelled it out... "these cracks are like the lava fields in KONA!" The two guys in front of me looked back at me like I was nuts or something. The Blaiseman got me through that first mile. I looked forward to the water station and asked them to splash me with the water - it felt so cool and was just what I needed. Mile two was hard as well. But my spirits were high and my mental effort was great. I just listened to my body and walked to bring my hr down when I needed to. I averaged a 13min mile for miles 1 and 2, but slowed down for mile 3, averaging 15min mile, even though I jogged most of the 3rd mile. Doesn't make sense, but that last mile I kept my slow running pace and got it done. Rounding the corner toward the finish line I hear Maria scream "Cari!!! There she is... go Cari!!!" She's taking my picture and I see Dave there again... man oh man... that's got to be the highlight of this day. I crossed the finish line happy and spent. My watch said 1:45min, the time clock said 2:10 or 2:11 - so if I go by my watch, we're talking 10min faster than last year!!! OMG if that's the case then I kicked some serious a$$ today. We'll know once the oficial times are posted.

Practice more bricks. I've been mostly running in training and the bike really does a number on your legs, so I need to do more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around w/ Maria and Dave... even felt a little light-headed. Got some food and water in my stomach and felt immediately better.

Event comments:

Excellent race! I improved from last year and with each race I feel more comfortable and stronger. Having my friends Maria and Dave there was so great. They stayed w/ me while I recovered and grabbed my stuff. Maria was so cute... she was taking pictures all along, from me grabbing my stuff, to walking w/ Marcello, a picture of just Marcello, it was so cute to see her. I got a text message from another friend, Rachel, who is in Mexico. God, that also touched my heart. Maria took a picture w/ her cell phone and transferred it to Facebook so my FB friends could follow along. Another friend, Maribel, immediately posted a congratulatory note upon seeing the pic. All this love from my friends today, and the well wishes I got before my race from my friends, rivaled my triathlon performance today. It made it that much more special. As I write this I'm thinking of my BT friends too... after all its all their fault that I'm doing this crazy thing in the first place. It was good to see Bill out there today. And I'm thinking about Stacy (aka luv2ride)... and how thankful I am that she is recovering. BT rocks always and forever!

Here are some pics:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=21672&l=8cfcf&id=550264633

Last updated: 2008-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 440 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: The course was a bit different from last year's.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 10 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-22 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Subject: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1

2008-06-22 5:25 PM
in reply to: #1481104

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1
Great race!!  Nice to see you out there.  Can we look forward to seeing you again for race #2 or #3??
2008-06-23 7:02 AM
in reply to: #1481570

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL

Big Sexy - 2008-06-22 6:25 PM Great race!!  Nice to see you out there.  Can we look forward to seeing you again for race #2 or #3??

Already registered Bill.  Thanks and it was good to see you too.  Think positive... you're going to do great on July 4th.

2008-06-23 7:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race Cari!  Love the new avatar!!
2008-06-23 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Nice job Cari.  Taking 10 minutes off of a sprint is huge!
2008-06-23 5:16 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Good Job...!!!!

2008-06-24 7:48 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
WOO HOO FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Great race report..I giggled reading your mantra.  This is your year, chica, bloom away
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 Rss Feed