City of Pflugerville, Jack and Adams Bicycles
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 46s
Overall Rank = 149/364
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/34
Pre-race routine:

Sunscreen, breakfast of muffin, banana and diet coke, check my triathlon pack, drive to the race course and set up, chat with friends
Event warmup:

Light stretching
Swim
  • 09m 41s
  • 500 meters
  • 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

I did much better sighting at this race than at most of my other races. I gave it a good all out effort and felt like it was a solid swim overall. I came out of the water about 35 seconds behind the leader. She took off from the start and there was no way I was catching her!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - swim faster if I can manage it! More drills in the pool might help.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

I had a bit of a problem with my helmet - the strap on the left came out of its socket and I had to put it back in. Relative to the rest of the field, this transition was on the slow side - about 30 seconds slower than the leaders.

Fix my helmet - otherwise, I'm not sure what I should do to go faster. I did a smooth transition, even if it wasn't the quickest.
Bike
  • 46m 46s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.96 mile/hr
Comments:

I went all out and attacked this course as best I could. At the very beginning out of the transition, I nearly threw my chain, but was able to recover it without having the stop. I stayed in my middle chain ring up the first hill, and then went to the big ring for the rest of the ride. I stayed aero for everything except the series of hills and a short break towards the end of the course.

Nothing. My recent increase in training showed up, so I'll just continue to ride lots and lots. Losing some weight would help, but that will have to come in time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

I missed my bike rack position by one rack, which slowed me down. Then, I had a little trouble getting my right shoe on for some strange reason. Otherwise, this wasn't bad, but I probably lost a good 20 seconds right there.

Rack faster and get my shoes on faster. Just some little things that added up to a little bit of lost time.
Run
  • 26m 28s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I let my legs pick my cadencce after the bike ride - a strategy that has worked well in my training bricks. I then just concentrated on maintaining that cadence and not overstriding for the rest of the run. It was a challenge, and I did have to ratchet it down just a bit in mile two, but I increased my pace again for the last 3/4 mile. I gave this my all and didn't have anything left for a burst at the end.

Nothing - again, losing weight would help with my overall speed
Post race
Warm down:

walk, cool down with water, stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight is the primary limiter right now. I'm going to continue to try to bring that down and I think I will continue to see time improvements.

Event comments:

I love this race! And I did a personal best by more than a minute! WOO HOO!!! This is an ideal course and a nice small race so it's a great opportunity to really see what I can do and where I am. I'd like to podium someday, but apparently the word got out about this course and the field was MUCH more competitive this year. Still, I'm extremely pleased with my overall performance.

Last updated: 2008-01-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:41 | 500 meters | 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/34
Overall: 44/364
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: triangle shaped course from left to right
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:46 | 14 miles | 17.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/34
Overall: 170/364
Wind: Little
Course: Large loop with a few rolling hills and false flats
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:28 | 03 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/34
Overall: 186/364
Course: Crushed granite flat trail around the perimeter of the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-22 1:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon

2008-06-22 9:31 PM
in reply to: #1481161

User image

Subject: RE: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon
Wow Girl! You did awesome! You should be proud! Great meeting your family. They looked like they were having a good time as well.
2008-06-23 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
I agree that there was more competition this year over last year. And I thought you said you weren't a good runner. You rocked the course! Congrats on a PR (I got one too). I need to swim with you sometime - that's one of my weaknesses. It was great meeting you. Hope you had a good rest of the day.
2008-06-23 9:12 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Excellent race Kat!  Your training has served you well.  Way to keep up the run pace after a speedy bike ride!  Nice Job!  I see the podium for you one day too...
2008-06-23 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Way to ROCK that course.  I guess we can't run together anymore.  You are just too fast for me (for now!).  Great job and it was great to finally meet your family.  See you at the first annual Austin BT get together (whenever that is).
2008-06-23 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Wow, great race and really nice job out there. You rocked the course. Agree, this is a really great course, lots of fun

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Pflugerville Triathlon Rss Feed