General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming observation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-23 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Subject: Swimming observation

I have been trying different techniques with my swim because I have totally struggled.

I have mainly been bilateral breathing. Lately I have toyed with breathing every 2nd stroke (because I tend to feel out of breath). Normally when I breath every 2nd stroke I breath on my left side. I am right handed and it just seems more natural.

While swimming this morning I tried breathing on my right side. I felt as my body was higher in the water and I was creating less drag. I have been told this is how it should feel when you swim, but this is the first time I have expereinced it. I tried to get the same feeling by breathing on my left side but couldn't duplicate it.

Can anyone think of a logical explaintion why apparently I am using a slightly different form depending on which side I am breathing on?

2008-06-23 12:03 PM
in reply to: #1483441

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Swimming observation
My form is better breathing on the right, but I'm working on it. I breathe every two strokes, on the right on length and on the left for the next. There was a thread recently about 'staying long' which was about maintaining your reach/catch phase a bit longer, and my left reach is definitely a bit harder to maintain. After a lifetime of breathing only on my right, I haven't built in the same experience of muscle memory in the few years of bilateral breathing under the belt. It's a process.
2008-06-23 12:03 PM

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
Pay real close attention to where your arm is in the water compared to your body whilst breathing to each side and you will find your differnce.

I know when I breath to the left I have to pay very close attention not to bring my right arm really close to my body and my follow thru almost disappears when I get tired. This is the main reason bilateral breathing is important...balance. So if you can keep your stroke even without it, than dont worry about it, it is just a tough thing to do.
2008-06-23 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

You should hit a masters group and have a coach take a look at your stroke. Also test your 100-yard times breathing one-side vs. the other side.

Generally speaking, most people form some very strong stroke habits over the course of months of swim workouts. This is especially true with your breathing pattern. Head lift / Drop, Shoulder roll, short / long / depth of stroke can all change when you switch breathing from one side to the other.  

It has been my experience, that assuming no huge mechanical problems, the most comfortable way to breath tends to also be the fastest, and generally most efficient for longer swims.

Cheers

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming observation Rss Feed