General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo County Stampede Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Buffalo County Stampede Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kearney, Nebraska
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:10 a.m. Woke my brother up (he spent the night at our house and ran the race too), got ready, ate a bagel with some peanut butter. Sat in the car for 2 hours and dozed on and off while Brian drove to Kearney.
Event warmup:

I didn't warm up or anything. It was cold and all I wanted to do was huddle up.
Run
  • 2h 18m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out the run in the back of the pack, like always. A bunch of people started off really quickly, so I thought maybe I would catch some of them later. You know how people crash and burn. Anyway, I ran the first little way behind a group of three ladies. They were running at just the right speed for me, but I started feeling a little antsy and my legs were begging me to go faster. So at the first aid station I slipped around them. Then about a half mile later I caught up to this one lady. She started speeding up and I thought ha, she doesn't want me to beat her! But I just kept running my run. Eventually we started talking. Turns out she is 53 years old and this was her first ever race. The longest she had ever run in her life was 8 miles. Anyway she was really nice. She kept asking what our pace was and everything, and I told her we were holding steady at around a 10 minute mile. Around mile 10 she started thanking me for being an encouragement and said that she never could have done it this fast if it wasn't for me. That made me feel good. Anyway, with about a mile to go she started walking. I kept running but I was hurting pretty bad, so she would walk and then run and catch up to me. I think she only finished a minute or so behind me.

Anyway. Halfway through my left achilles was hurting really badly. It kept hurting the rest of the race. I just ran through it. I think I might be starting to get some tendinitis so I'm taking the whole running thing easy this week, and will probably just be biking. Anyway, the last few miles my left knee started REALLY hurting. I was almost in tears between the knee and the achilles. I hated my life at that point. But I told Brian I wouldn't walk except for at the aid stations, and I didn't. My knee is fine today and my achilles barely hurts too, but I'm still going to take it easy.

Also I took one gel, at about mile 9 or so. I think it was just great timing.

I don't know my rank or anything yet, I'm supposed to get an email sometimes that give my official time.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Start training a little bit earlier, I guess. I hope to run another half marathon later in the season or maybe this fall and blow my time out of the water!
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched a little bit, drank an entire bottle of Vitamin Water (pretty good stuff, if you've never tried it), complained to my husband and my brother and sister in law. I wished I had some food, but I didn't.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training long enough.

Event comments:

This was the first year they have done this race. Only about 70 or so people competed. Their were aid stations every two miles, which was great. The volunteers were really encouraging and awesome, and there were lots of cute little kids around which really helps take your mind off of the pain you're in. :) Also there were cash prizes for the winners. The rest of us got pretty cool shirts and a rubber ducky. No medals. I don't really care about medals because most of the races I go to don't even have their own unique medals. But my brother was bummed out because he always gets his medals engraved with the race and his time.

Last updated: 2008-04-12 12:00 AM
Running
02:18:45 | 13.1 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: It was a beautiful course, and a beautiful day. It did start off a little bit chilly but that's ok. We ran on a bike trail for quite a while, and ran through downtown Kearney and some other parts of the city. The only part I didn't really like is that we ran probably 1/4 mile or so on a gravel road that was all washboarded out, and I was afraid I was going to turn my ankle. Also, the course could have been marked a little bit better. A few people got lost. The other part that stunk was we ran amongst some restaurants and things. It was weird. And one part of the course kind of doubled back on itself which was weird too.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-23 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Buffalo County Stampede Half Marathon

2008-06-23 9:47 PM
in reply to: #1485040

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: Buffalo County Stampede Half Marathon
Nice race honey bunny! Even though I told you that a jillion times already. Sorry about your foot!
2008-06-23 10:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Great race and RR. Sounds like you had a good time. Hope you don't hurt too bad the next few days. Keep training hard!
2008-06-24 4:31 AM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Awesome race. Way to fight thru the pain! You are awesome!
2008-06-24 8:52 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Great race!!! Hope your foot heals up.
2008-06-24 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Terrific race and great report!  The Grand Island half-mary is a nice one in October, I think, and they have FOOD afterwards (really a nice one).  Looks like you really like the half-marathon distance too, which is awesome. 

2008-06-24 6:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Very good run! Hope you heal up quickly.
2008-06-24 9:48 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Nicely done Brynn!  You make the three decades of Divas proud!!!!

now, take care of that foot!  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo County Stampede Half Marathon Rss Feed