General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My gym pool, er recreation pool , lap swimming and venting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-25 5:15 PM

Veteran
Subject: My gym pool, er recreation pool , lap swimming and venting
The gym I go to has a pool that is 25 meters long with 2 painted lane lines. It also has one of those cascading water umbrella kid things and a large shallow area to the side plus a huge slide. In the winter, it is covered by a large dome. You could swim anytime before 9am when the water aerobics classes started (which is why they keep the dang water so hot!) Anyways, in the summer, the dome comes off and it is exposed to the outdoors. Because of swimming lessons they move the "lap swimming time" to 4am to 7am. So, I've been swimming around 6am before the sun comes up. There are no outside lights at all nor a pool light! The only thing that gives some light is a neon sign from a business across the parking lot. So this morning I get out of the water and head inside towards the locker room and two employees stop and ask me "Were you swimming out there?!". Um, yeah. "What were you doing?You shouldn't be out there!" My first thought was 'I'm F*cking swimming genius" but, I said I'm lap swimming. I notice a sign that says Lap Swimming 4am to 7am. I point to it and walk off to the locker room. They both come in and say that I can't do that and the lap swim time will be changed plus it's too dark outside.

They may have me on the darkness and safety issue, but the membership states that it includes pool and lap swimming. Thoughts?

2008-06-25 5:22 PM
in reply to: #1490341

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Subject: RE: My gym pool, er recreation pool , lap swimming and venting
Where do you live that it's still that dark after 6AM this time of year?

I don't think it's safe for you to be swimming by yourself in the dark. Can you possibly find someone to swim with you at least?
2008-06-25 5:53 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I'd ask someone higher up at the facility to find out what is going on.

My Y changes the times of lap swimming often without updating the schedule.

Be safe..you need lights and a lifeguard for sure. 

2008-06-25 10:23 PM

Veteran
I live in Texas where sunrise right now is ~6:30am.
I guess the point of my rant is how lap swimmers are brushed off as not important. In the winter when the dome is on there are lights but still no lifeguard on duty when I swam. I have seen a few other swimmers from time to time.

I'm going to ask the higher-ups if they think it might be a good idea to have some light during the posted swim hours. I remember seeing one of those huge portable pole lights there last week, but I've never seen it on. Do most pools that allow early morning swimming indoors or outdoors have a lifeguard on duty?
2008-06-26 2:22 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire

Um, yeah, there should a be lifeguard on duty. Or really obvious signs that say there isn't and that you swim at your own risk. Then again, generally guarded facilities lock the doors when they aren't guarded. Very strange.

Personally one of my biggest fears is walking in the facility for first-in-the-morning duty to find a body in the water...

But see, swimming in the dark sounds awesome to me, so I got no complaints there.

2008-06-26 2:45 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Keep after them. I'm sure you will get it sorted out.

Good Luck

2008-06-26 5:30 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
If they change the lap swimming time like they said they were going to, isn't that a good thing?  Then you don't need to swim in the dark and without a lifeguard?
2008-06-26 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I read a newspaper article a couple of weeks ago about the YMCA pool. I think they said in Tennessee there has to be 1 lifeguard for every 15 people in the pool.

Also, I know a developer who is putting a pool in a subdivision. He made the comment that the pool was going to be 5 1/2 feet deep because if it were any deeper it would have to have a lifeguard.

I would think their biggest concern is that if you are swimming without a lifeguard then the could be fined for breaking a state law. I do agree that if they have the swim times posted they should have lifeguards there at that time and they should have some lighting.

2008-06-26 1:17 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

I guess I'm a little indifferent about the lifeguard issue.  The gym I belong to doesn't have one.  Ever.  Granted, there is a CCTV to the front desk, but that is nothing compared to having an actual person there.

Probably a pretty good liability issue for them, but I can't count the number of times I've been the only person in the pool. 

2008-06-26 1:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Our subdivision pool allows homeowners to swim at non life guard times with an "at your own risk" policy. You have to buy your own key and sign a waiver. Only hassle is chasing the ducks out of the pool. Even so, they do say they don't want anyone in earlier than 6a.m.
2008-06-26 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I feel for you...my pool is pretty much a home away from home for lap swimmers during the winter. We have four or five lanes and aside from the "kids" area getting crowded with birthday parties the rest of the pool is ours to train in. Then comes the summer and we end up with two lanes (three if we are lucky) and it is like the pool management couldn't care less if we have to wait and/or how inconvenient the lap swim hours are.

But I'll also side with the pool, there is a definite liability issue if there is no lifeguard. Contact the management and see what they say. If they really did change the hours then it is a good time to ask how they notify members and how important it is to make sure members are informed. And if they didn't change the hours then it is even more important to find out why there was no lifeguard on duty for all this time...

--Chris

2008-06-26 1:38 PM

User image

state law doesn't require a lifeguard insurance companies do.  I am a lifeguard for my local Y and city outdoor pool as well as an EMT.  It amazes my how bad pools will give the lap swimmers a hard time, constantly changing schedules keeping the water at unsafe heat levels so the old ladys don't get up set (even though non of them complain about being cold after they get warmed up).  At my city pool we have a lane line always open it is a constant battle to keep the Little pool rats out of the lane.  Last night I got rushed out of my pool 10 mins before lap swim was over by the swim team.  lap swimming is frustrating even when your in the loop and talk to the higher ups everyday.  Lap swimmers have feelings too.
2008-06-26 1:38 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
My *old* lap pool had NO lifeguard on duty - ever - but a sign saying swim at your own risk and children under 16 not permitted. Children were always there by themselves. I constantly complained, and they did nothing about it. They also randomly changed the times of lessons and classes without posting anything.

I now swim at my local YMCA - dedicated lap pool separate from the aerobics pool and kids pool. 3 lifeguard on duty at all times. Sooooo much better - hopefully you can find something that works!
2008-06-26 2:10 PM

User image

Regular

I am in an on going battle with our HOA abotu thsi very thing.  We have 9000 homes and 3 pools for those homes.  One is the kids water park, the second is the pool with the diving boards, the third which is a basic rectangular 25yd pool is oddly the most crowded with families (why aren't they at the water wpark or diving boards).  The lifeguards will not throw the kids out of the 2 lap lanes.  Sunday we had 6 people in the 2 lap lanes and 4 people trying to lap swim outside the lanes. Tuesday was worse as the run swim lessons from this same pool so they divide the non lap lanes across the middle so you can't lap swiim outside the lanes.

The lady at the HOA keeps telling me there are not that many people who want to lap swim. I keep inviting her out to see the pool but she wont show up. 

Pools this year opened June7th and close Sept 1st.  This is freakin' Texas.  Open the pools in April and leave them open until October. 

The good news - circle swimmign in 2 lap lanes with 9 people (2 of them older ladies using pool noodles to frog kick from end to end) is alot like an OWS wave start

2008-06-26 3:33 PM

My gym never had a lifeguard on duty. The real gripe here, however, has to do with the fact that you complied with the posted times and still met with that reaction. I'd address this with management. If you get go satisfaction and have another option, I'd consider exercising it. Seems clear they don't look at the needs of the lap swimmer as critical. Remember, you're paying to be there. They are not doing you a favor.

If they are saying it's a safety issue, then perhaps they should provide a lifeguard and lights for the times they posted.
2008-06-26 3:39 PM

User image

Expert
rxman - 2008-06-25 5:15 PM

The gym I go to has a pool that is 25 meters long with 2 painted lane lines. It also has one of those cascading water umbrella kid things and a large shallow area to the side plus a huge slide. In the winter, it is covered by a large dome. You could swim anytime before 9am when the water aerobics classes started (which is why they keep the dang water so hot!) Anyways, in the summer, the dome comes off and it is exposed to the outdoors. Because of swimming lessons they move the "lap swimming time" to 4am to 7am. So, I've been swimming around 6am before the sun comes up. There are no outside lights at all nor a pool light! The only thing that gives some light is a neon sign from a business across the parking lot. So this morning I get out of the water and head inside towards the locker room and two employees stop and ask me "Were you swimming out there?!". Um, yeah. "What were you doing?You shouldn't be out there!" My first thought was 'I'm F*cking swimming genius" but, I said I'm lap swimming. I notice a sign that says Lap Swimming 4am to 7am. I point to it and walk off to the locker room. They both come in and say that I can't do that and the lap swim time will be changed plus it's too dark outside.

They may have me on the darkness and safety issue, but the membership states that it includes pool and lap swimming. Thoughts?

Until you posted the hours I would have bet you live in Savannah as I do....lap swimmers are the red headed step children of the pool at the Y I use. Even when there is "lap swim", the swim team takes the 3 lanes until 6:30....that leaves me 15 min. before I have to get the kids....b/c of these problems, I took off early today for lunch and did 1000 yards and hurried back to work...It was a short and hurried swim, but better than the crap of dealing with the afternoon "block the lap swimmer" hours....

2008-06-26 3:45 PM

Disclaimer: I work for Endless Pools.

After reading all the various rants about the treatment they receive for the crime of exercise swimming as well as those discussing how hard it is just to find a place to swim, I want to remind people that Endless Pools, a sponsor of this site, has complete solutions for OWS training on your time, at your home starting from as little as $9,900.

-Lee

Disclaimer: I work for Endless Pools
http://www.endlesspools.com/fastlanepool/index.html
2008-06-26 3:51 PM
in reply to: #1492825

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Issues at gyms/YMCA is alway budget and costs. Paying a lifeguard(s), keeping lights on etc all add to overhead. They will always find ways to crimp, especially when memberships are down in bad economy. There you go, I found another item to blame on high gas prices.

Yes, you pay your membership and deserve the same rights as everyone else, but hard to fight argument to keep operating expenses up when they are not being offset by the few lap swimmers. They make the $$$ off the water arobic and swim team crowds so that is what will prevail. Nobody said life is fair and fortunately, my YMCA has a larger group of lap swimmers so the argument has always been a little stronger.

Side note: my frustration comes from the closing of the "Indoor" pool every time lightning is within 10 miles. I know there is a very low % of an accident even if indoors, but living in S. Florida where we have a rain shower virtually every afternoon in the summer gets old quick. I now get up at 5:30am kicking and screaming to get to pool by 6am so avoid pool closures.

Good luck...
2008-06-26 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1492914

I hear ya about the costs. The issue I have with the OP, is that he adhered to the posted times. If they need to control costs with regard to the lights and the guard, then take the 2 minutes to post the correct times rather than admonish the patron for following the posted time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My gym pool, er recreation pool , lap swimming and venting Rss Feed