United States
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 27m 52s
Overall Rank = 24/331
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

This was a 9AM race which was nice. Slept in and didn't get up till 6:30AM. Waffle, coffee, homemade oatmeal cookies.
Event warmup:

.74 mile slow warm-up with my friends Bill and Mark (msailer). Lake Ronkonkoma is so georgoeus. I took in the views from down by the pavillion.
Run
  • 27m 52s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Splits: 6:19 6:48 7:17 7:18. This is one of those odd courses where you shouln't have a negative split because the first half is much faster than the second half.

Even though it was 9AM, it was getting hot! Paced well for the first mile on the downhills; kept a good quick cadence for the second mile; third mile my stomach started hurting (probably because I didn't eat much); right before the final mile I popped a caffeine gel as planned, stayed conservative on a decent length and grade climb and probably should've gave it a little more in the last half mile but for whatever reason I was just content with beating last years time.
What would you do differently?:

Last year I ran a 28:14; this year a 27:52.

Although this is one of my favorite local races, sadly it's a "C Race". At mile 3 I felt my quads (and I rarely feel my quads) due to my bike yesterday, and the day prior I was doing a tempo run. My running volume compared to last year is much much less as I am biking and swimming too, so all in all (even though I really want to) I am not going to beat myself up. I beat last years time. I know if I were not swimming and biking, and if I were doing track work and focusing on short distances, and if I targeted this as an "A Race" (which I'd like to do one year, I know I have a top 10 finish in me. One day. Sigh.

Post race
Warm down:

Cheered my friends on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This is a "C Race". Instead of donning my racing flats, I wore my ultra-light trainers. Although my running flats make me a couple of seconds faster per mile, they leave my calves sore for up to five days sometimes. Like somebody said to me, "Keep my eye on the prize." The prize is a 70.3 finish line... not a 4-mile finish.

Event comments:

The run around Lake Ronkonkoma is one of my favorite local races. Four miles is a perfect distance, it's a scenic and fast course, and it's just a simply a fun local race that is well run and executed.

Last updated: 2008-03-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:52 | 04 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 24/331
Performance: Good
Course: One loop around Lake Ronkonkoma. The first two miles are either downhill or flat, with a couple of small rollers. The last mile has one decent hill and then a fast downhill finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-28 8:42 PM

User image

Subject: Run Around The Lake

2008-06-28 9:12 PM
in reply to: #1496704

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Run Around The Lake
Great performance! For a C race, you sure did great. 3rd in your tough AG is awesome!
2008-06-28 10:32 PM
in reply to: #1496704

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: Run Around The Lake
Well done, Bobby.

If you're going to have triathlons as your main focus, the goal is not to be your absolute best at any one of the events, but to be just focused enough in each event that it doesn't compromise performance in any other. I'd say you're nailing that pretty well as biking and swimming are improving greatly at a minimal cost to your run performance. Once again, well done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run Around The Lake Rss Feed