Triathlon Nova Scotia
13C / 55F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 47s
Overall Rank = 5/58
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

This was the last week of school so training was a little all over the place. Volunteered at KOS race yesterday so just a quick bike/run to put the equipment through the paces.
Event warmup:

Quick run - 10'; included some pickups and drills
Quick swim - 2'; 100m before they lined us up.
Swim
  • 12m
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

I didn't feel good from the beginning; I never really felt good; like I was slipping on every stroke. I've been regularly swimming 1:30-1:35/100 so this was a little disappointing. Since California I haven't been in the pool as much as I wanted/should be and it showed up in this race. Overall it wasn't a terrible swim, but I know that I can get another minute without too much more effort. I was in a lane with Tom and lapped him once and was getting close to catching him a second time; I knew I needed as much time as possible to stay ahead of him through the finish as he is a better biker and runner.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more :)
Transition 1
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

Solid; fast and efficient; passed at least one athlete (in my AG) going through T1.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 36m 47s
  • 20.86 kms
  • 34.03 km/hr
Comments:

My goal was to catch as many athletes as possible during the ride; there were a couple that I knew were within striking distance and some that I just wanted to limit the losses. As I started to see athletes at the first turnaround, I made a list of who was ahead of me and worked to stay focused and fast throughout the ride. I passed a couple of athletes from earlier waves before starting to move through my wave on the third lap. I caught one athlete from my age group along with two others from my wave; in addition, I was able to stay in front of Tom (he outsplit me by less than a minute) and less to Jay and Mathieu for the fourth overall bike split. Except for an issue with one of my bike shoe straps (had to put it back through the loop just after getting on the bike) things went smoothly and I was able to ride hard throughout. Having people to chase kept my focus; hard to believe I had a better bike split than run split (first time)!

Very little; need to ensure my straps can't pull through.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

Very solid

Nothing.
Run
  • 19m 8s
  • 4.75 kms
  • 04m 02s  min/km
Comments:

Felt pretty good; was moving through athletes from previous waves throughout the run. I don't think I caught anyone from my wave but I was focused on trying to say in front of Tom; I saw him just behind me near the beginning of the second lap and thought he was going to catch me. I focused on feeling fast, staying light on my feet and relaxing. As the second lap ended, I saw Tom had made up some ground but I was still a little bit out in front; refocused and worked on being as fast as possible through the finish. As I got to the halfway point of the last lap, I saw Emily just in front of me and realized I might be able to reel her in. So my goal became not only holding Tom off but running Emily down; with about 400m to go she was in range but a little surge and she was able to hold me off. I came through the line 3" behind her but still 16" ahead of Tom.

Very little; may have been able to go a little faster but was pretty close to my ability.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and got changed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor swim; need more time in the pool, a little fine tuning on the run and of course, an actual taper and peak :)

Event comments:

Great first year race - will definitely do this again!

Last updated: 2008-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:00 | 750 meters | 01m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 9/58
Performance: Below average
Suit: Trisuit
Course: 30 lengths in the Greenwood pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:47 | 20.86 kms | 34.03 km/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 4/58
Wind: Strong
Course: 5x4km; almost entirely flat, two 180* turns on the course and one chicane(sp?). Wind was pretty strong starting out and picked up as the race went on. Also, some precipitation off and on during the ride.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90+
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:08 | 04.75 kms | 04m 02s  min/km
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 5/58
Course: Three mostly flat laps
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-29 6:56 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: 14 Wing Air Force Triathlon

2008-06-30 9:46 PM
in reply to: #1497626

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: 14 Wing Air Force Triathlon

very strong race!  very strong mental focus and toughness and lightening transitions!  well done! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 14 Wing Air Force Triathlon Rss Feed