United States
Cutting Edge Events
75F / 24C
Total Time = 5h 31m 45s
Overall Rank = 52/166
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/8
Pre-race routine:

Stayed the night with my Dad, Mom, and Sister as my Wife and daughters are at summer camp. Checked into hotel, drove some of the bike course, and went to packet pickup where I met Brandon(getsome), John(Umbach), and Brett(NewburghBrett). Ate some pasta. Got things ready at hotel.

Up early, ate traditional Blueberry pancake and a muffin. Cliff bar about 1 hour prior to race. Met up with the BT crew again at transition.
Event warmup:

Got a little swim in.
Swim
  • 41m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

First 200 yards I fought to get some clear water. After the first buoy, I got into a rhythm and just swam. Had trouble getting away from a breast stroker. I would catch and pass him, then he would swim freestyle and pass me, over and over again. He would breast stroke close around the buoys. 2nd lap the wind picked up as did the chop. Now I know it's not the ocean, but for a pool swimmer like myself (1 open water swim so this year), the little chop was noticed. Felt good on this whole swim, like I could have swam quite a bit farther.
What would you do differently?:

Keep practicing. I swam the 1/2 IM last year in over 58 minutes, so 41 and change is a great improvement for me. This is right where I want to be right now. I strive to be average on the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Didn't rush through, I wanted to make sure of everything.

Trust in my setup and preparation a little more.
Bike
  • 2h 46m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Mixed 7 scoops of Infinit in one bottle and planned to put 1/3 into aero bottle with water every hour.
Mile 4 I almost ran over a squirrel, I think he ran between my wheels. My first drinks of Infinit were very strong. I mixed the first batch in the aerobottle in transition before the race, so the concentrate was at the bottom. I thought: "note to self: blow bubbles into bottle to mix." Didn't watch my speed, just cadance, time, HR, and distance. Kept HR in zone 2 for most of the ride. Ended up zone 2 equalled 20 mph. Go figure, training works.
Kept passing and getting passed by an older gentleman (60 is what it said on his calf). This can be such a humbling sport, just when I think I'm getting pretty good...
Got to first turnaround in about 1 hour. Took a water bottle from the volunteer, poured water into aerobottle, poured Infinit into aerobottle, bent down, blew bubbles into bottle - now what happens when you blow bubbles into a full bottle? - yep, I get Infinit all over me. Brilliance!! Another note to self.
My family was at the middle turnaround ringing the cowbells.
Rest of ride went well, except got rained on and the wind picked up (It was already windy) for the last 5 miles of the bike. Made it pretty miserable and I was not looking forward to the wet socks and shoes in transition.

I need to get fit on my bike again. I have jacked with the seat and aerobars too much and it is just not where it needs to be. I'm happy with my time and pacing, but I need to be a little more comfy for louisville.
Transition 2
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

I must have had a short nap. I took the time to put some lube on my feet. My shoes and socks were not as wet as I thought they would be, but were damp. Again, made sure I had everything and took my time.

Trust in my preparation
Run
  • 1h 59m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to take 1 gel every 20-30 minutes and use Gatorade on the course for electrolytes. Then I read that Gatorade and gels do not act well together in your stomach. My bike shop was out of E-Caps, so I figured I'd just use the Gatorade anyway.
Took water at the first aid stop, just a little over 1 mile. Took 1 gel and water at the second aid station a little over 2 miles in. The next aid station was at 3.5 miles instead of 3 miles like I expected. My brain did not compute. Then my brain told my body that the Gatorade and gels were not getting along in my stomach. I think this was all mental, but convinced myself to not take anymore Gatorade. This decision almost cost me. I continued the run with just gels and water.
Miles, 1, 2, and 3 were marked and I was onpace of around 9min/mile. The turnaround was around mile 3.5. The cowbell people (my family) were at mile 2.5 and around where mile 4 should have been. Mile 4 took forever. I finally found the mark and the watch said 11:13. I don't think so. There was no mile 5 mark. On the way out for the second lap, it started raining. My feet stayed dry for 1/2 the way out, then I got squishy feet. Good thing I took the time to put lube on them. Got to the turn around and tried to do the match and thought I had a shot at 5:30 which was my "Really Good Day Goal." Started to pick up the pace. I was running good until about 1 mile left and the calves started feeling like cramping. Here comes the lack of electrolytes. Had to slow slightly to keep the cramps away.

Take E-Caps. I will put running shoes and dry socks in my special needs bag for the IM.
Post race
Warm down:

Got interviewed by Brandon(getsome). Got soem Gatorade and watched the other BT racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a good day for me. Training and experience. Lack of electrolytes. Weather (a little). No really good excuses.

Event comments:

Good race. I would have liked the miles to have been marked and marked correctly. The info about the loop on the bike course and the 2 lap run was news to me on race morning. Fun race though with a good course and friendly people.

Last updated: 2008-02-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:34 | 2112 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 106/166
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Jersey & Shorts
Course: 2 laps clockwise keeping buoys to your right. Come on the beach after first lap, run around cone, and call out your number.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:46:11 | 56 miles | 20.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 32/166
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out 20 miles turn around, back 8 miles turn around, go 8 miles back to first turnaround, then 20 miles back to transition. Narrow roads with some loose gravel. A few decent hills and turns, but nothing too bad.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:59:28 | 13.1 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 75/166
Course: 2 loops of an out and back. A few little hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-29 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: Cutting Edge Half Classic

2008-06-30 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1498048

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Cutting Edge Half Classic
Fantastic Race! You learned some good lessons on nutrition that will help you in Louisville. You are going to do awesome! Congratulations on a great HIM!
2008-06-30 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

Excellent finishing time and that was an awesome bike split for the conditions IMO. Congrats on a great HIM. On a side note, i was the guy in the BT gear struggling out there    Thanks for sharing.

peace ~~ John

2008-06-30 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Outstanding race, Chris.  You really killed that bike course!  IMKY is going to be very successful for you.

Great to meet you.

~B

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cutting Edge Half Classic Rss Feed