Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 52m 5s
Overall Rank = 434/935
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 21/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0345 (wasn't really sleeping anyhow), got dressed, ate my PBJ English muffins, re-checked my gear, loaded in the car and drove to the race site. Lightening in the distance was an omen of what the day would bring. I avoided major traffic lines by getting there early, set up my transition area, found out we had to wear our race #'s during the bike--thank goodness I found out. Saw Aaron, Sidney, and my friends Becky and Tanya. Checked out the bike/run in and outs. Was glad to note my rack was right in front of the tree and light set in transition, would be easy to find. Put on the wetsuit and headed to the beach.
Event warmup:

Down at the beach I got in and did a little swim warm-up. Huddled on the beach with everyone and waited until my wave. Laughed at everyone running in the shallow knowing that it was exactly what I was going to do.
Swim
  • 33m 42s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

A big swim PR for me. Lately I've been hitting 1:47 for a "good" 100m. So holding this was huge and surprising. I did do the shallow run for that first 100m or so, and I'm sure that helped some. However, I still had a good swim, but it didn't feel like it. I was having a difficulty getting in a good rhythm with the breathing, and wanted to draft but couldn't. PLUS my stupid swim cap kept slipping up, and probably at least 6 times I one arm swam to fix the dang thing, when I rounded the last buoy and it started going, I had enough and just let it go. I should've done that earlier. I was completely shocked when, after I got out of the water and had the wetsuit stripper take off my suit, that a I saw a 33+ min on my watch. My expected goal for this was 37-40 min.
What would you do differently?:

Just let the swim cap go; learn how to draft; breath every 3rd/4th consistently. Too much every 2nd stroke breathing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

I was a little irritated at a volunteer who basically stopped my momentum out of the water to get my zipper--I had it, but he wanted help. No big deal really, and probably didn't cost me much time, but I had it. Signaled a wet suit stripper to take my suit, and then made the long run down and then back up to my transition area. I did the glasses, helmet, race number, shoes...but I really will have to start putting my glasses on last. Inevitably they get fogged up or dripping wet from hair and I can't see, so I had to wipe them off just to see, that took a moment. My mount needs work too, but I'm glad I ran in the shoes cause it was too close to that first uphill not to do that--besides, I haven't mastered the shoes mounted yet.

Overally, with the distance I had to travel to the rack, others in the way on the way out, then to the mount line...this wasn't bad. I would put my glasses on last. I can do that and still get them under the helmet straps, and so that's what I need to do, because otherwise, they will be water filled. Plus, I'd bring my clear lenses too so that when weather is way overcast like this, I still have eye protection, but not as dark a lense. This was much improved from my past ones. Didn't wear socks which is fine--I haven't worn socks in training since Lonestar...besides, they would've irritated me once they shoes filled with water in the rain.
Bike
  • 3h 11m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Right out of transition you hit an uphill that is decently challenging, so you really don't have a choice to get your heart rate down, then it is a downhill followed by another, more challenging uphill before you head out of the park. I did well with those first two, and then tried to get into a rhythm leaving the park. That happened, then we headed east and smack dab into the headwinds, and then at about 5-6 miles into my ride the rain started slightly, and by about 10 miles I would be in rain for the remainder of my ride. I passed a lot of people, most not in my AG, with the rain, it was hard to tell who was who. I got passed by a few, but most were male. Most of my AG beat me out of the water anyhow. But, I kept reminding myself not to hammer it, to watch my cadence, and I did. I had to shift into the small ring in some of the massive headwind gusts, and usually on flats I stay big ring. I did a really good job, for me, of taking the hills, I wasn't slow, but I kept on going and I did pass people going up hills, and for at least two of those 8, I was able to stay aero throughout it. The descents for all but about two of the hills could really be free speed, but not in the rain and wind like there was here. Some people were trying it, but I think some of those ended up in the ambulances I saw out there. I wanted to finish the race, and if that meant not flying down wet roads and riding my brikes, so be it. This was my first race with bottle hand ups, and I feel like I did really well them. Nutrition wise, I started with my downtube bottle having a 3.5 hour bottle of custom Infinit (took from it every 15 min--watch timer), my aero bottle full, and one bottle in my behind the seat holder. In retrospect, I could've left that back water bottle--but with this being the first time doing the bottle hand ups, if I missed one, I wanted to have a Plan B. I should be good for future races that have good aide stations to just go aero bottle and nutrition and live off the course. I never held onto the bottles they handed me, I just emptied into the aero bottle and dumped them off to the side. The route was fairly crowded for what I would say was the first 40-45 miles. Once we made the last turn around it wasn't as bad because you didn't really have many people on both sides of the road. There were two guys that passed me in the bike that were just entirely too close and didn't even notify with an "on your left" and with those conditions, it was a little nerve wracking. I really paid attention to safety, again, finishing was important to me. I did a lot of reminding myself not to hammer, and it's a good thing I did or my legs would've been worse than they were. In retrospect as well, I think I tensed up A LOT due to the rain and wind as my shoulders/triceps and oblique abdomnial muscles are fairly sore. I also had to stretch my neck and back quite a bit in the last 16 miles or so as I was starting to get pretty sore in the neck/back. Oh, and in the first 10 miles I noticed a slight irritation just above my left knee, I recognized that as my turning my foot out just slightly and pointing the toe down just slightly. I corrected it pretty fast and didn't feel anything from it the rest of the day.

I didn't see the 17.5 mph # often, I saw 15.5-16 and 20-24 depending upon which direction I was heading. So, ideal conditions, I'd hit that 18.5-19 mph I think. The flats were fun--minus the road being wet.

Really, with the weather out there, I did really well out there. I have done some 100k rides with less hills and somewhat similiar winds but no rain and had similiar or lower MPH average. The bottle hand ups went smooth, I did the hills well with where I am now.

So, what to do differently: more hill training absolutely, take some Excedrin half-way or 2/3rds of the way through the bike to help the neck back pain...this will help me on the run too as you will see.

Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

I got out of my shoes at the parking lot area just prior to the last downhill going into T2 (great tip on location to do that Aaron, thanks). I haven't practice the whole dismount often, so, it was a stop and get off, but I did it quickly and started running it in, unfortunately, I had to say "excuse me" to at least two other people that were lolly gagging it in and it was not a wide bike in area at all. I had my shoes off already and on the bike, got the bike racked quick, helmet off fast, glasses off (not needed, overcast and they were covered in rain water) fast, socks and shoes on fast (I'm working on sockless for 1/2 Mary distance...10K and less is good to go right now) grabbed my fuel belt and hat and started running out...but apparently the wrong way (they didn't have it marked well) so I had to turn a little bit and go back down a different way. If I hadn't have done that or had other athletes in the way of taking my bike in, I'd have this under 2 minutes.

Probably just have a carry bottle, not the belt. Get the feet in no-sock shape for a 1/2 Marathon.
Run
  • 2h 02m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow, this kicked my butt compared to my normal running abilities. Usually this is my strength, but not on this day. Right off the back, at about a 1/4 of a mile in, my lower back was in EXTREME pain. I had never felt pain like that before in my back. I still started off slightly too fast, but actually controlled it, my legs wanted to go in the 7's initially, but I knew I needed to hit in the 8's or I'd fall apart. Unfortnately, even that wasn't enough for this day. The back pain was bad. I didn't want to stop, but I had to stop and stretch for a moment, but that didn't do it. Finally I remembered I had two Excedrins in my fuel belt, and I took them and then just kept doing my best to truck on at a decent pace despite the pain. I did have to walk parts of the hills, I would run for a bit, and then power walk as fast as I could (arms swinging and all). The back pain was really messing with me, mentally and physically. Finally, at about mile 5, once we got to the Energy Lab, my back pain was about gone. I actually felt like I got somewhat of a second wind at 6.5 miles. At about 1 mile into the run, I took my first GU Roctane and I had Nuun in my water flasks. The rain wasn't on this part of the course, but it wasn't bad temps...slightly humid, but nothing I'm not used too. Staying coold wasn't difficult, and while my legs didn't feel blown up, I just didn't have the energy in them to make them go faster. I did take the free speed on every downhill that I could. I was a little hungry at mile 4 and took part of a banana, and I took a GU Roctane at Mile 1, at 30 minutes into the run, 1 hour into the run, and 1.5 hours into the run. At about Mile 11.5 I hit the wall for the first time in run in competition. I was willing myself to just push the last 2 miles but I had no energy. At Mile 12 I tried some of the Coke they offered at teh aide station after hearing how it has immediate help, but it didn't do it for me...it just made me burp. At that point it was just several of us all in the same area willing each other to go on. when I saw the Finish Line a big grin did pop out though cause I had done it. I had to walk a little bit, but I had done it. I smiled, and I pushed as hard as I could for that last 100m. Saw David and Aaron on the side cheering me in, and Becky was right there after the finish to congratulate me. Toughest 1/2 Marathon I have EVER done.

Take Excedrin 1/2 way through while on the bike and immediately after starting the run. The back pain really messed with me mentally and physically. I might need a GU or sports drink (maybe alternate) every 3 miles or so instead of every 30 minutes. I just ran out of juice.

Lastly, increase my run volume. Since the Austin Marathon in mid-Feb, my long runs of 10 miles + have been few and far between. I need to do more 13-16 mile runs to re-build my run base. I had an inkling this would happen on the run, I just estimated an 8.5-9 min mile, which, maybe without walking I could've done. But, more running, more long bricks (didn't do enough of either), and tweaked nutrition is necessary. Probably no fuel belt either--go with hand held bottle and just GUs in my pocket.
Post race
Warm down:

I was just thrilled and happy to be done and was glad I went Sub-6 hours which was the goal. I chatted with Becky some, got some water, got some Gatorade and couple of bagel bites, thanked Aaron and David for cheering, and then looked for Tanya to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

That I could control: Run volume and back pain (controllable to an extent); race weight.
That I couldn't control: Wind and Rain, back pain

Event comments:

Volunteers were pretty good for everything, especially the run course and bottle hand-ups. The post-race food was pretty lacking. Nothing had any protein in it, and I think they need something like that out there. Not a fan of pizza or burgers, but a few more options were necessary. They advertised sponges, and maybe I missed them, but that would've been nice. Not horribly needed that day, but if it had been hotter, they would've been needed. The Athlete Dinner was "okay" afterwards, though the amount charged for non-athletes was too much I thought..the emcee talked A LOT. This was a VERY VERY competitive field out there. The times for this year, in my AG, compared to last years results were PHENOMENALLY faster despite the conditions. Very few return racers and lots of far from home racers. That is no problem, with the Kona and Clearwater slots, it's no surprise. I definitely didn't expect the field to be as strong as it was, but there were some incredible athletes out there.

I threw this race in about a 2 months before the race because there were a lot of racing differences with a HIM that I wanted to experience before my major "A" triathlon of the year, Longhorn 70.3 I think choosing as challenging of a course as this, coupled with the conditions we had, will pay off in dividends for me as I continue to race and train in preparation for Longhorn in October. I learned lots of lessons this day and meet my goal of going sub-6.

This was only my third triathlon ever and as hard as it was, and as much mental ping pong I played with myself during the run, I love the challenge of it and I have lots of room for improvement. I am not disappointed with this race, even with my usual strength, the run, not panning out. This was truly testing the waters, and it accomplished the job.

You want to do a challenging HIM, do this one. Expect wind always, and looks like it's hit or miss on the heat (though you're more likely to get the heat than that rain!).

Last updated: 2008-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:42 | 1931 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/38
Overall: 370/935
Performance: Good
Suit: WetZoot Fuzion Sleeveless
Course: Start in a beach/bay area, go out around the corner, then do a counter clockwise circle to swim exit.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:11:20 | 56 miles | 17.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/38
Overall: 413/935
Performance: Good
AVG HR: 154 Max Hr: 186
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: In and out of the canyons with 8 challenging hills, country roads with three (I think) middle of the road turn arounds.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 93
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:02:52 | 13.1 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/38
Overall: 399/935
Performance: Below average
Mile 1- 8:18, 164 bpm Mile 2- 8:57, 161 bpm Mile 3- 9:10, 162 bpm Mile 4- 9:34, 164 bpm Mile 5- 9:50, 162 bpm Mile 6- 9:20, 164 bpm Mile 7- 9:21, 162 bpm Mile 8- 9:13, 167 bpm Mile 9- 8:45, 165 bpm Mile 10- 10:19, 165 bpm Mile 11- 8:51, 165 bpm Mile 12- 9:41, 164 bpm Mile 13- 9:35, 165 bpm Mile .1- 8:26, 171 bpm
Course: Out and back, two significant hills on the way out, one really significant hill on the way back (right at about 10 miles--which by my 10:19 lap pace for that mile, you can tell it), and an "Energy Lab" type flat area from mile 5-8 or so. Lots of smaller inclines and declines throughout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 8:47 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3

2008-06-30 9:14 PM
in reply to: #1500580

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
Great job on your race. A few more big races under your belt and you'll be very competitive in the AG.

Way to go conquering those less-than-stellar conditions and pesky aches.

Lots of good athletes at BSLT and you can be counted among them.
2008-06-30 10:09 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Freakin' awesome job, Britt!

You are gonna kick my arse at Longhorn!

2008-07-01 5:55 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Well done! And you made your goal.  Awesome!

2008-07-01 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview

Look.  You chose the only 70.3 Kona Qualifying 1/2 IM as your first.  That right there shows what kind of gal you are.  I soooo admire you in so many ways.  I want to be like you when I grow up...

Seriously, you did great.  You met your goal.  You found out what areas you want to improve, which is why you did this race!

Great job Britt!  I can't wait to see you at Disco!

2008-07-01 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Well done, Brittney!  You did great out there.

Hopefully I'll see you at Disco.

2008-07-01 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WOW crazy fast B !!! COngrats on your first 1/2 and a job well done
2008-07-01 12:23 PM

Master
Houston
You are a super star!!  Fantastic rr and fantastic effort on this one.  No doubt you will incorporate all you learned here and rock the show at Longhorn!!  I can't wait to see the results!
2008-07-01 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Nice work Brittany, that is a great time on a tough day! Now that you've experienced how an HIM feels and know what you want to work on, you are going to be so prepared for Longhorn.

Congratulations!

2008-07-01 9:35 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
great job competing at a bigtime race and holding your own. looks like you managed to overcome all the hurdles that got in your way and with not too many races to your credit you did awesome. keep up the training and soon people will be referring to you as the badass in your AG.
2008-07-02 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Great job!!! I thought you rocked when I saw your results, and at that point I had no idea about the conditions you were facing. At this rate (especially with your kick butt swim) I'll see you at the start line at Longhorn and you'll be all cleaned off, have eaten and be ready to go before I finish

2008-07-02 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
BFE
Nice job Texas, very nice indeed!
2008-07-02 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Brittany, for your 1st HIM and only 3rd tri EVER, this was an amazing job in ANY conditions.  Congratulations!  I knew you were going to kick butt and you did - you played it safe on the bike and survived the swim and run despite challenging circumstances there too.  Best of all, you learned many valuable lessons for the A 70.3, which was your primary reason for giving this one a go - so awesome all around!
2008-07-02 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Congratulations Brittany, Great Race!
2008-07-03 5:39 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Nice job!
Yeah those runs at the end of a HIM are tough.
2008-07-06 11:36 AM

User image

Melon Presser

You are absolutely amazing! CONGRATS! Especially on a tough course, tough day, you were super speedy.

Super swim, especially with the cap problem--all your hard work has paid off.

Great job on the bike in the foul weather.

Way to go to persevere on the run. Yep, it can really feel like getting whacked in the lower back with a baseball bat and it takes some real guts to run through that.

2008-07-06 9:18 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Sweet race

Tough conditions and some new unexpected things came up, you adjusted and did great.

Running after that swim/bike thing is challenging and you are wicked good runner

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed