Columbia Triathlon Association
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 01m 13s
Overall Rank = 649/1356
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 60/121
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast- whole wheat bagel, raspberries, peanut butter, coffee, gatorade, water.
Event warmup:

Actually, not much of one this time as I had forgotten a few things and the car was about 3-4 blocks away. Some stretching but not much in the way of warming up. Since it was already warm, didn't seem to really affect my performance
Swim
  • 41m 43s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

After the horn sounded, I try to grab onto some feet to draft off of and this worked well for a while. But, the person breaststroked to sight a few times and I thought this isn't working. So, I go on and try to find someone else. Only two buoys into it and my arms are starting to feel it a bit. This time I was more relaxed than at the Kinetic Sprint and I'm trying to concentrate more on my bilateral breathing. Sighting is going okay but I seem to be going right a bit. Not sure if that's current or what. At the pros meeting, one of them recommended watching to see which way folks get pulled to in the earlier waves but I had not done that and so that's a lesson learned for next year. I plodded along at my pace and still saw a good number of my wave around so I didn't think I was doing too bad. But, rounding a buoy I got bumped a few times and feet hit my cheek and nearly my jaw. I was okay but had to get my bearings. Tried to latch onto the folks but couldn't. Rounding the next turn buoy on the way back, everything seemed to be going left. So I went right and a race guy on jet ski said to go back left. This didn't make sense but I attempted to do so. Two buoys left and I can see the finish. The wave behind me is catching up but I'm also passing a few people from the waves ahead. That felt kinda okay but I knew most of my wave had already made it in. Getting tired but tried to push a bit to the end and finally was able to walk onto the beach. Whew! Longest continuous swim I had done in a while.
What would you do differently?:

Since one of my club members was swimming in this wave, I should've tried to draft off of him if I could. Also, I needed to try and stay a bit closer to the buoys while paying attention to the current a bit more.
Transition 1
  • 06m 36s
Comments:

I took my time in T1 since the goal was just to finish. Dried my arms a bit and put my arm coolers on. Realize that I should've put these on under my wetsuit and will have to train that way if I have another hot race. Took too much time to do so. But since I didn't, just did it in T1. I had to sit to put on socks as this is what I had on cycling. Didn't want a blister going into the run. That took a little while too. Used a shoe horn to get into my shoes and this actually worked well. Helmet on and onto the bike course!

If I'm going to use arm coolers, I need them on under the suit. I need to practice things more for T1
Bike
  • 2h 52m 42s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Since my friend, Mike, and I drove course, I knew what to expect, especially rough spots, gravel areas, and sharp turns. So no surprises. As I had done in training, I had my watch set to beep every 20 minutes to remind me to take in something. Usually I took an electrolyte pill at least every hour, food every 40 min, and something to drink every 20. This worked well for me but I also planned to replace my aerobottle drink on the course with Gatorade as I had done during training as well. So, did that around 45 miles out. A fair number of women from the swim wave behind me passed by with some nice looking bikes. I guess a few of my age group did too. But, I did the same to people as well and some with Zipp wheels. Always feels good to do that. My strategy for the bike was to set a reasonable pace and save something for the run as I knew that was going to be the most difficult part to the race. So, I decided to spin more than grind even if it meant going slower. This became more important as the bike went on as at mile 40, my inner thighs started to give me a bit of problems. I was afraid of cramping but ensured my electorlyte and hydration was on course every 20 min. Spun above 80 rpm or better for the rest of the way. I was glad to see the transition area come back into view.

Other than maybe getting more long rides in and perhaps spinning more in the beginning, the bike portion went fairly well. I didn't have my wheel cover on, unfortunately due to complications while trying to get it on.
Transition 2
  • 04m 10s
Comments:

T2. I had not practiced getting out of my shoes on the bike though I thought about trying it when I saw others. I resisted this temptation as the last thing I needed was a crash going into the run. So, got into transition getting my cycling shoes off and moved over to running. The shoehorn didn't work quite as well this time but I moved through T2 at an okay pace. Still didn't want to rush. Two things I put on were my hydration belt and my cooling bandanna. Though this probably took time, I was grateful for both. I need to take things and put them on as I'm joggin out of T2 though.

I need to practice getting out of my shoes. Also, I need to grab stuff and run with it as soon as I'm able and in my shoes. That would really cut down on time.
Run
  • 2h 16m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

By now, somewhere around 11 AM I think. And as I start the run course, the temperature continues to climb. I'm sure it's near 90 by this time and just getting hotter as we go along. Figure a 9 min pace is just under a 2-hour half marathon, which means running until early afternoon when the heat is starting to peak. And even in the first couple of miles, we are all running to any shade we can find. During this time, my inner thighs are starting to cramp so I slow down and relax and see if I can switch to a different set of muscles. This seems to work though my hamstrings start to complain a bit. Everything eases into the run and I pick it back up. At the second aid station, I wrongfully decide to grab some of their Gatorade. MISTAKE, MISTAKE! I don't know why I did this as I have my own stuff. Well, it was mixed WAY too strong and I spit it back out. Unfortunately, I swallowed a bit and this got me a little nauseous. So much so, I had to stop to make sure I wasn't going to have more problems. After a bit, felt like I could continue and started jogging again. From that point on, worked out a strategy that I followed: run/jog to each aid station as they were every mile, walk through the aid station, take water to drink, water to pour on me, and ice for my hat. No more of the race-provided Gatorade. My watch was also going every 20 min. So, no matter I would take a drink from my stuff and also take an electrolyte pill at least every 40. This worked extremely well for the rest of the run.

Between miles 3 and 4, there was this bypass road under construction. Let me tell you – that was the longest mile I faced except for the last one. The shade was now gone, there was new asphalt under our feet, and the temperature continued to rise. After mile 4, I actually started to feel fairly good running. So much so, that between miles 6 and 8, I'm seem to actually be setting a decent pace between the aid stations. BTW, you come back along this and I saw Mike Matney and Julian. I saw Vicki when I was heading back.

Again, there is VERY LITTLE SHADE on this course. What little there is is fleeting and you have to stop for to get any relief. But on this day, many people were walking through the aid stations. One gal remarked that she had never seen so many people walking in a Half IM. Fortunately, the aid station folks as well as many of the folks who live along the route came out to hose you down. Gosh even that little bit just felt great!

After mile 9, we come back again onto the bypass. This time, though there's actually a breeze and my arm coolers and jersey are making use of it, cooling me down just a tad. It felt good. And I must've been setting a good pace as I hear those words from behind me. Sure enough, this one gal had decided to run with me using my pace to keep her going. I fell back a bit but she encouraged me to set the pace. So, I continue on and she falls in step behind me for the next mile.

At mile 10, though, I lose my shadow as she walks through the aid station a bit longer. I did look back and slow to wait but she didn't appear to be catching back up. I press on.

As I round a corner pressing to mile 11, I see the bay. What a sight! It motivates me more. I take any shade and water sprinkling from the local folks. Someone yells that I'm looking good and I yell back that I wish I felt that way. A few laughs. But, in some ways I actually am as I'm smiling knowing I'm near to completing this event. I pass by folks watching the event and ask where's the Corona I ordered a while back. They quickly come back that it's waiting at the finish. I pass a photographer, raise my arms in triumph, and smile. More laughs. Keeps me going.

Mile 12 passes by and I feel the end is near. I can hear other folks names being called at the finish and know that I'm almost there. I can see the tents at the park as we come onto the road by the bay. Round another turn, quarter mile to go. Last turn and the finish is in site. I hear the names of the folks just in front of me. I'm listening for mine and slow just a bit in anticipation. Then my name is read over the loudspeaker and my arms go up triumphantly with a big smile on my face as I cross the finish line completing my first Half Ironman!!

Stick to the plan! No gatorade on the run; only what I bring with me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk, hydrate, find dry clothes, eat, relax.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The pre-race injuries limited run training although the run was the best area overall for this event. The heat and humidity were definite limiters and hadn't had an opportunity to train in it prior to the race. But, other folks gave up before the run and took the DNF rather than facing the heat.

Event comments:

Even with the heat, a good first Half IM. Already signed up for next year in hopes I can do better now that I know a bit what to expect. Hopefully, it won't be quite so hot and I can also train a bit better without injuries.

Last updated: 2008-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:43 | 2112 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 88/121
Overall: 908/1356
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU full Team
Course: A modified out and back, like a skewed triangle in the Choptank river
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:36
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:52:42 | 56 miles | 19.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 69/121
Overall: 737/1356
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat, flat, flat loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:10
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:16:04 | 13.1 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/121
Overall: 545/1356
Course: A flat out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-01 8:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2008-07-02 7:12 AM
in reply to: #1502912

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
Nice RR and great first HIM!
2008-07-08 10:08 AM
in reply to: #1503514

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Thanks! Appreicate the comments. Next HIM this Sunday, July 13. Hopefully, perhaps a PR if it isn't so hot and I can improve on some things from this first one. Good luck in your races and training!
2008-07-16 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1502912

Veteran
What kind of hills are there in this race?
2008-09-02 9:13 PM
in reply to: #1533900

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Sorry it took so long to get back. Busy season. In a nutshell, there are none. The Eastern Shore of Maryland is very flat country. So, if you don't like hills (like me), this is a course for you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed