General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The End Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-03 9:14 PM

Subject: The End

Hi Everyone,

I'm very very new.  I just started my first training for anything ever last month and I'm 41!  Things are going along pretty smoothly.  My main concern at the moment is the bike.  I LOVE riding and my distances are increasing steadily.  The only real problem I'm having is in the sitting down area.  Does anyone have any tips on how we can condition our bottoms to stand longer rides?

2008-07-03 9:19 PM
in reply to: #1507744

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: RE: The End

There are a variety of different saddles out there...you just may need to try a different one.  Check with your local LBS and see if they have a loaner program or something so you don't have to continually buy saddles until you find the right one.

Welcome to BT and triathlons! 

2008-07-03 10:08 PM
in reply to: #1507755

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
maggyruth - 2008-07-04 5:19 AM

There are a variety of different saddles out there...you just may need to try a different one.  Check with your local LBS and see if they have a loaner program or something so you don't have to continually buy saddles until you find the right one.

Welcome to BT and triathlons! 

x 2 on going to your LBS .... I could not find a saddle that was comfortable for my Trek and tried alot of different things and nothing worked ..... 1 trip to my LBS and my posterior is very happy

2008-07-04 5:01 PM

I'm not sure what kind of bike you have but if you have a tri bike look at the Adamo saddle. My stock seat was killing me in the aero position. The Adamo seems to more evenly distribute the weight and has made a huge difference for me. I'm not sure if you would get the same benefit on a road bike with this saddle though. Blackwell makes a comfortable split saddle as well you might ask about. My wife uses the Blackwell and loves it. Like others said go to the LBS and try different ones. Welcome to the world of tri!!
2008-07-04 6:34 PM

Hello everyone and thanks for the advice.  I will visit my local bike shop soon!  I don't have a tri bike at this time.  I only got the hair brained idea of trying this about a month ago.  I didn't want to invest in a ton of equipment that might end up just sitting in the shed gathering dust.  So I invested in really good running shoes and the rest I got on the cheap.  So far I'm loving it!  Once I have a few tris under my belt I'll see about further equipment upgrades.
2008-07-04 7:49 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Try some different saddles.  You do have to get used to it a little at a time, I find, but if you've been riding solid for a month and still having pain, the saddle probably doesn't fit you right.

Look at:

Terry (They have a lot of different options)

Serfas (I have a Selle Italia Gel - tried the Terry Butterfly and it was just a tad too hard)

Really - it's about your personal preference and what feels good to you.  It's worth going to your LBS - sometimes they have tester saddles as well.

Koobi looks interesting to me, and a lot of people also swear by the Adamo.

Good luck! 

2008-07-04 8:03 PM

Thanks for the reply from a fellow Douglas Adams fan!  I love the Hitchhiker's series!
2008-07-06 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH

Your question was pretty vague so before you go drop $150 on a saddle what hurts?  If your sit bones hurt... ride more.  Everyone's sit bones hurt when you first start riding then it gets better.  If you have pain elsewhere then start looking.  Do you have a good pair of shorts?  That makes a big difference. 

1. When were you fit to your bike.  That's always the first place to start.  If the saddle is at the wrong height then it doesn't matter what saddle you have. 

2. Like I mentioned shorts.  Just shorts nothing else and add in some bodyglide/chamois buttr.

3.  Where's the actual pain?  

You can't fix something until you determine what is broken.  Triathletes love to throw money at problems but spouses/so's find fault with this particular brand of troubleshooting pretty quick.  The seat ideas aren't bad but... make sure you need seat advice before you take it.

2008-07-06 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
MA

If you haven't done a bike fit that is where to start before changing saddles.

Hard thing for many newbies to riding is to find a good quality bike shop that does good bike fits. Most bike fist are $100 or more and should take 1-2 hours. Ask how they do them, what kind of training they have before you just go to your closest bike shop. I shop at 4 different bike shops but trust only one guy to do bike fits for me after having 2 others done.

You may want to post on the forum for your state to get some advice where to go. Not all bike fitters are equal. 

I ride a lot got a new saddle has some issues with saddle sores riding long talked to my bike fit guy and lowered my saddle 5mm which is 1/2 cm and it fixed the problem. I use that example to show how a very slight difference in one part of a bike fit can make a huge comfort issue.

Also since you are new to tris you probably just need time riding to get your body used to it. I remember when I bought my first road bike and I rode 5 miles and my bum killed and wondered how the heck could I ride 25 miles. Now I ride 7-8 hours and am fine. Gradually build up longer and longer and you'll be amazed how your body adjusts. 

2008-07-06 10:41 PM

Veteran
You know, I've ridden for a few years now and thought I had a great saddle. It's a touring saddle-very wide but now the back of my legs are rubbed raw.
Here's the problem. Although my Athena sit bones are probably the same as most, the bulk of my weight is in my stomach and tush so the weight has to be distributed on a larger surface (what science is that anyway?). I've tried a zillion seats and in the "end" I end up putting all my weight on my pubic bone and soft tissue. My stomach gets in the way of any sitbone sitting.
If any Athena has ever found the answer, it would be greatly appreciated. I need something wide enough to hold my weight but not so wide that the back of my leg hits the saddle. In the aero position on my road bike, I just go numb the whole time.
Help!
2008-07-11 1:20 AM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
This may sound a little simplistic but I would build your base and before you spend money on a new saddle, make sure you have a good pair of bike shorts and that you have spent a couple hundred miles in the saddle. It took me a couple months to get the 'sit bones' conditioned to the ride.

2008-07-11 1:39 AM

User image

Expert
Tempe, Arizona (hot hot hot)

I started trainning in April and I have 550 miles on my bike. I have changed the fit on my bike twice. Once for me and once for the Aero bars. That alone made a 20 mile ride feel like 200. Now even with a stock Trek seat (Notoriously hard) I can go 35miles and no pain at all. And I just started wearing bike shorts. I am big so spandex has not been my friend.

Ox

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The End Rss Feed