United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 41m 37s
Overall Rank = 5/300
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/20
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Breck with my buddy Drew. Ran into Bridget and Scott and chatted with Steve.

Registered

Had my Pop Tart, coffee and Red Bull.
Event warmup:

Scoped out some of the front row thoroughbreds and thought, what am I doing here. Poor self-body image I suppose.
Run
  • 41m 37s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were very heavy and sore going into this race. I raced the USAT Trail Running Championships on Sunday and I was not completely recovered. Right off the start, I could feel my quads protesting. Luckily my HR soared into the red zone quickly as we started climbing and the lack of oxygen to my lungs helped me to forget that my legs were not very happy.

I tried to be conservative and I got passed about 1/2 mile in by a young XC runner from Aspen. I decided to keep him in my sights. There were 8 or 9 people ahead of me including one particular guy that looked super fast... My pre-race pick to win based on appearance.

The first mile came and went and I was not feeling all that fast... still I managed to keep XC within my sights. As we approached mile 2 I noticed that I was closing the gap on him and we appeared to be gaining on my 'pre-race pick guy' (PRPG)... as we neared the high point of the race at about 2.7 miles I could see PRPG walking... XC kid passed him and then PRPG re-passed XC guy. Meanwhile, I was closing in on both. Before the top of the first big climb, near mile 3, I passed XC kid and was gaining on PRPG who widened his lead on XC kid. At mile 3 I passed PRPG and I tried to hammer the single track and held him off for about a mile. PRPG passed me again and this time I just let him run ahead of me. I was content to get on his heals and just ride along when at about mile 5, he just quit on me and let me pass... he didn't stop racing, but he didn't want to battle me anymore. He ended up finishing not too far behind me, but I was stoked to beat him, cuz I'm sure he's a very fast road runner.

I did get passed by the 4th place guy and could not re-take him which was frustrating. He only beat me by a few seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Race on rested legs
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with Steve, Bridget and Scott had a PBR with the folks from Mafia Racing and then rode up Vail Pass and back (45 miles) before hanging out and drinking beers the rest of the afternoon!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sunday's race

Event comments:

Super fun race. It was before the Firecracker 50 mtn bike race. Next year I'm doing both races and I aim to AG in both races!

Last updated: 2008-07-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:37 | 06.2 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 5/300
Performance: Good
AVG HR 159 Max HR 190
Course: Trail run with a 1200 foot climb over the first 3 miles and then a single track descent with lots of switchbacks. Honestly the course felt short, but it is hard to say.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-07-05 12:17 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: Independence 10k Trail Run

2008-07-05 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1509313

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: RE: Independence 10k Trail Run
Nice race! Way to go! You are a stud.
2008-07-05 1:44 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Great race Dime, as usual!  Get over the "poor self image" crap.  That's not you at all! 

Way to go on a great race!

2008-07-08 8:52 AM

User image

Hey rockstar, impressive race! Glad you got in front, that's where you're SUPPOSED to be!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Independence 10k Trail Run Rss Feed