Sun Sport Events
68F / 20C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 48m 21s
Overall Rank = 304/343
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/28
Pre-race routine:

Race dedicated to Captain Jennifer DiCarlo, Pilot USAF currently deployed in the middle east.

Went to the race site on friday to do packet pickup and a little swim with KathyG as well as meeting up with my coach for a little. Got to the site in only 46 minutes with one bad turn EXCELLENT. It was COLD for this Florida girl. Walked around as I was early....loads of POOP...POOP everywhere...ICK.

I really wanted to swim as mondays swim freaked me out a bit. I was really really wheezing and I was concerned about breathing and feeling choked in my wetsuit. Luckily my wetsuit is a little big for me now and I was breathing better so even tho I coughed and sputtered a bit I was WAY better than monday.

After we swam got the packet and hung out with my coach a little. KAthy and I went and got sandwiches for lunch and I drove home. Nice dinner with my family then to bed early. Fireworks were minimally noisy. but it POURED all night. I kept hoping it was the sprinklers. Nope we woke up to freaking RAIN. AARRGHHHH Got up at 4:15 and everything was pre-packed so just a matter of putting it in the car and eating my corn muffin. Drove to the race site and got set up. Kept hoping the rain would go away....it didn't :(

Sat under a shelter and got my wetsuit on. My lucky anti rain jacket was NOT WORKING. Ate a little bit of poptart and walked over to the swim start. Was very mellow. I really had no expectations for this race being so sick coming into it. Weds I had gotten up at 3:30 am to travel home. I was dead tired and almost threw up that afternoon because I was just so tired. Tried to rest as much as I could but coming off a brutal week of call plus being sick didn't set me up well. Mostly I wanted to get thru it and use it as a building experience for IMFL

*** times off my watch/bike computer. I personally prefer time spent doing a given activity not time spent RUNNING to the timing mat. Also they posted that they had trouble with the timing mats because of the rain
Event warmup:

Nada.
Swim
  • 38m 25s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think this was the most mellow swim start ever. I mean no one was nervous or pushing or anything it was nice. I had the least contact I have ever had in a race. I planned to take it out easy because I was still a llittle nervous about my breathing and I didn't want to be hacking up a lung in the middle of a pond. I managed to draft quite a bit the first 200 yards or so, then I was pretty much alone.

I get bored swimming so I started singing the bottles of beer on the wall song. Made it to the first turn with about 70 bottles left on the wall but I didn't start singing til I was about 1/2 way there. I had a nice rhthym going I really was afraid to push it too hard. 50 bottles left on the wall at the next turn.....I was hoping to still have some beer on the wall by the time I finished but I reloaded with 20 more bottles. Then I just wanted to finish and abandoned the song. Passed a few people from the previous wave.

Once again my left arm/hand went numb during the swim. This happened at ST. A too. Sometimes it happens in the pool but rarely. No idea.

If I hadn't been so wary of my breathing issues I could have pushed harder. I think I need a song with a faster tempo. It was a solid effort while competeing sick.
What would you do differently?:

1-Not be sick
2-Pick a faster song
3-Get a wetsuit that fits
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

hhmmmm What to wear what to wear...Where are Stacy and Clinton when you need them!!!...Its FREAKING RAINING.....I dont' know how to bike in the rain in cold weather we don't get that in Florida. I had my now UN-lucky rain jacket, but its pure plastic and would have been too hot. Had a throw away tech shirt and a wind vest. I was afraid the tech shirt would get wet and stay wet and be hard to get off and once wet make me even colder. Didn't think the wind vest would be terribly helpful. Opted for none of it. Even retrospectively I don't know if any of it would have helped. Smartest thing I did was to go sockless on the bike. I would have had wet cold numb socky feet for 3 hours which I think would have been worse than the wet cold numb feet I ended up with.

Suit off, bike shoes helmet and glasses on, off I go. Ran thru some of the transition area but walked up the hill to the mount line. Saw my coach and his partner on the way out of T1. I usually do the shoes on the bike thing bit due to the wet conditions and the POOP everywhere I ran in my shoes. 9/28 in my age group

What DOES one wear in a rainy race on the bike? no idea.
Bike
  • 3h 06m 45s
  • 58.48 miles
  • 18.79 mile/hr
Comments:

OK....Here goes nothing. RAIN YIKES....do it for Jen ...First thing is that I was in the third wave so it was really weird to be passed as all the young fast people were behind me. Usually I'm in one of the last waves. I was going totally by feel. I barely looked at my bike computer. I knew I HAD to race my own race at my own pace or I would be toast quick. I had to trust my endurance base cause the week leading up tot he race left me with not a lot. I just tried to keep it at a easy sustainable pace. Check your ego at the door....race your own race race your own race race your own race.

I actually had a pretty fun time on this course. It took a lot of concentration because 1-it was raining and wet and I am totally not used to riding in those conditions 2-I felt like I had cataracts because I could barely see out of my glasses due to them being fogged and wet the whole ride so visibility was a BIG issue for me 3-hills 4-techinchal course 5-sections of bad and I mean BAD as in the entire road on either side has nothing but pot holes road. Was VERY happy to have my foggy glasses when a van came by fast and close and sprayed me with crap off the road.

Anyway it seemed to go by pretty quick because of the above reasons and I did the first loop in 1:31. My coach told me it was long and thought it was 60 miles so mentally I was prepared for that. Followed my nutrition well. Didn't need as much fluid as down south due to the cold factor. Felt like I could be more aggressive on the second loop. I noticed that my legs were a bit more tired on the flats the second loop. Hit 56 miles at 2:57...SWEET sub 3 hours....but still a few more miles to go. I was FREEZING esp the last 8 or so miles. All I was thinking about was being able to run in my LONG SLEEVED top. Definate motivation to GET DONE.

I think I handled the hills really well. Honestly not a problem. Went up them slow but steady and didn't let my breathing get out of control. I was a bit twitchy on the wet downhills esp in the areas of bad pavement. Better to be a few minutes slower and not make a trip to the ER in my opinion. I'm very pleased with the bike esp with the conditions handed to me and being sick.

On that day not a thing. If I had been healthy and it was not cold and wet I could have gone harder. Open to cold rainy biking clothing suggestions.
Transition 2
  • 03m 54s
Comments:

I always take my feet out of my shoes on the bike. Saw KathyG at the entrance to T2 I yelled at her "I'm freezing its f-ing COLD" She just laughed at me :) For some reason had a brain fart and couldn't find my rack. Also I usually rack by the saddle and the racks were low so I struggled with that too.

DAMN my tech shirt was WET AARRGGHHHH. I had pushed thru thte last miles of the bike to get that freaking shirt and it was WET. OK I still got my wind vest so I wore that. I had smartly put my runnning shoes and socks in a plastic bag so they were dry THANK GOD because my feet were numb from being cold and wet for 3 hours on the bike. Dried feet, socks and shoes on, hat, race belt...rid my self of the cataracts I mean glasses, bottle with accelerade. Saw Keving (Kathy's husband) and her daughters at the T2 exit.

Not have a brain fart as to where my rack is. Put clothes in plastic bag on a wet day
Run
  • 2h 56m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

My mom and dad were manning the aide station as you exited T2. My mom said she was everyones mother that day because she basically was telling people to not fall in the ENOURMOUS hole in the ground you had to run over. My dad was giving out sponges. They were troopers standing out in the rain all day for sure !!

I really didn't feel bad coming off the bike. Started with a 4:1 run walk. Had a bit of a side stitch and did the 4:1 thing for the first 4 miles or so......until the HILLS came. Yeah. I can handle hills on the bike and at least the winds in FL kind of prepares you for that....hills on the run not so much.

Really just tried to do the best I could. Started making up little mantras for each mile. Five is fine five is fine....and think about what I would say the next mile. Six is super six is super....OK Mile six REALLY sucked tho so on mile seven it was six sucked but seven is splendid six sucked but seven is splendid. So about 100 people or more passed me on the run PHIFFLE....run your own race run your own race....If Jen can change a tampon on a plane with no door on the bathroom you can do this...do it for jen do it for jen do it for jen....ANYTHING to keep one foot in front of the other. I seriously tough my big toenail on my left foot had come off about mile 7 or eight and I was getting some blisters too

The volunteers had BRIGHT ORANGE tech shirts on which was EXTREMELY helpful because you could see them in the distance....YAY and aide station and another mile down!!! I started taking pepsi at the aide stations which helped. I threw my vest off mile 2. Used my inhaler during the second mile. Used the downhills as best I could to take advantage of gravity. Walked most of the up hills. I don't know, I just didn't have a lot to give here. I was kind of woozy the last 3 miles or so. My legs were suddenly sore and tired. My foot was really hurting. The last mile I started wheezing.

Coming back into the camp where the finish was YAY I am DONE!!! I had my bright yellow top I wore at St. A on so I guess I was easy to spot as I heard Kathy yelling for me when I was about a 1/2 mile away. Finished!!! YAY. DK, TriToy and all the Graves clan plus my mom and dad were there..they wanted pictures I wanted a chair.

Not be sick and get pumpeled by call the week before a race and be able to get more rest. More long bricks, WEAR MY NEWTONS. That was a huge tactical error on my part. I don't think my foot where I had my stress fracture would have hurt at all if I had been smart enought to wear my newtons. I recently switched out of them because I was blistering in them and they don't have a ton of support.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in a chair.....I got to talk to my coach for a while afterwards which was great because I have never had the opportunity to do that. I was a little out of it. Had a coke......yes a REGULAR coke and my dad brought me a DRY shirt YAY. Packed up transition and SCORED about 30 raspberry hammer gels and a bottle of enduralytes. I was wet and soggy and cold I we left.....my dad drove home and got lost so we had a nice tour of rural SE massachusetts. I had my cheesy rice cakes in the car tho so all was well in my world.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain, cold, bronchitis, no newtons, hilly run

Event comments:

Good race except I was a little miffed they did the race give aways before everyone finished. Thats kind of RUDE. I knew I would be in trouble if it rained but I think I handled the bike really well. I didn't expect a whole lot and hopefully I didn't get pneumonia out there. I wish I hadn't been sick but you just gotta roll with it sometimes. Its better than not being able to race at all and even on my best day if I had the race of my life I would never place anyway so whatever :)

Thanks to my coach Will Kirousis of tri-Hard coaching as always for believing in me, my mom and dad for being good iron sherpas and even better sports standing around in the rain all day, the Graves family for the same, DK and TriToy for waiting for my sorry slow butt to finish!! Thanks to all the patriots in our armed forces for serving and protecting this amazing country of ours!!!

My mom says "You should just go for the glory and do that aquabike thing you could win that. You just aren't built for running" :) thanks mom :)

Last updated: 2008-02-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:25 | 2112 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/28
Overall: 132/343
Performance: Average
Chip time 38:38 watch time 38:25
Suit: sleeveles promotion
Course: rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:06:45 | 58.48 miles | 18.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/28
Overall: 204/343
Performance: Good
Time off my bike computer. Chip time 3:08:14
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop course, Wet, cold, rainy, sections of REALLY bad pavement
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:56:06 | 13.1 miles | 13m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/28
Overall: 311/343
Performance: Below average
Course: one loop HILLY course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-08 6:49 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Patriot Half Iron

2008-07-08 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1515810

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Iron

Heh.  Your mom's cute.

Bottle of beer on the wall?  Are you crazy?  LOL!  Now I've got it stuck in my head. 

Great report, great race.  Nice work!

2008-07-08 8:21 PM

User image

Pro
MA

You've got some awesome splits racing SICK and in bad weather!  That's sick, you know? 

Surprised to see fewer racers this year.  Last year when I did the swim relay the start was pretty crowded.  Maybe it's becasue of the RI 70.3 this coming weekend. 

Glad to see your parents there.  They are so cool to volunteer. 

2008-07-08 10:07 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You did great!

Wicked great bike split..sub 3 hours HIM on a rolling course in the rain!! Rocking good...great swim. Running is always tough for some of us..love your mile mantras. 

Weather was not ideal for a FL girl for sure even more so when you weren't feeling good.

Singing in the swim and run having different up beat mantras. I will  need to keep that idea in case.

It was great to see you this weekend and fun volunteering.

Congrats on doing it for Jen with a great attitude even though you didn't feel well and had a brutal week..that is what special about you..you take it all in stride but give 100% of what you have that day without regrets! 

2008-07-09 1:57 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

GREAT job sticking out the race in cruddy conditions, Sue!  And I'm EXTREMELY flattered you dedicated it to me!  You're so sweet!

But when I do my big swim in a month and I have 100 bottles of beer on the wall stuck in my head...I'll be cursing you.   In good faith, but cursing nonetheless!

Really, sounds like it was a tough day out there with the rain and cold, so GREAT RACE!

2008-07-09 6:13 AM

User image

Master
NJ
fantastic bike split! WOW! Way to keep yourself motivated
through a long, rainy race!

2008-07-09 6:13 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
What a great race report....you should not be so hard on yourself you are AMAZING! How in the world you got that bike avg with those conditions...wow! Who cares about the running fast - you ran smart and had a great race - your race....and cool that you saw so many folks and your coach and your folks are so supportive, all in all a great weekend I think.

Now get healthy for IMFL girl!
2008-07-09 6:56 AM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great race Sue! Way to rock the bike in the rain.
2008-07-09 8:54 AM
in reply to: #1516690

User image

Champion

Great job Sue.  Racing in the rain always sucks and you certainly made the best of the situation.

Congrats.

2008-07-09 10:57 AM

Uxbridge
Great Race report...unbelievable bike split...especially in the cool new england rain! Congrats!
2008-07-09 10:40 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
I want to bike like you!! Excellent excellent job.  You race report had us right there with you, and several times I was laughing (hopefully with you!!).  Great job, Sue!! I don't know how you sing while you're swimming though--I would so get off course!

2008-07-10 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran

Awesome race, great race report too!! I can't wait for your next half....and that little race in November!

Stacey & Clint should really do a 'what not to wear' sports edition.  

2008-07-10 5:58 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Are you still glad to have been back in NE?!  Great race.  Sometimes the harder ones are the more memorable.  You're a tough cookie.
2008-07-10 8:32 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Congrats on a good race Sue.  You did awesome as usual on the bike course, especially with the conditions.
2008-07-10 9:04 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

LMAO at your mom's comment!

I had no idea those were your parents when I put them to work at that first aid station! runners were having trouble seeing where to go so when this sweet couple came over and I was getting the sponges out your dad and I brought them down to the trail and I told them to point the way and hand them out!  what a hoot!

you did AWESOME! your rocked the bike - and yes I will be cursing you on sunday when the bottles of beer song is stuck in my head!!!! 

2008-07-11 6:27 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
well I am glad you survived the race. If nothing else, you are beter prepared for Cranberry Last time I checked same course

2008-07-12 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Congratulations on finishing the 1/2IM and on an awesome bike split.  Good for you sticking it out in tough conditions.  Congrats!

BTW I've found that the vest is the ticket when it's raining but not terribly cold.  It keeps the wind off your body, but you don't get too hot.  Everything ends up wet anyway.

Get well soon. See you at IMFL

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Iron Rss Feed