General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triangle Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-10 2:35 PM

New user

Subject: Triangle Triathlon
Driving in from Pa for the race wondering what to expect.   Is this a good race? Is the course hilly? In water start or beach start? Any information would be great .  Thanks!

2008-07-10 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1521002

Subject: RE: Triangle Triathlon
It's a pretty good race. I'm signed up and have done it several times. It's gotten less popular due to the issues Lake Crabtree has had over the last few years. There was something about PCB's a few years ago; although I havn't heard anything lately. The bike course has some hills but just enough to you off if you know what I mean. I like a challanging hilly course but these hills are not really challanging they just slow you down and get you out of your grove.

The run course is not bad. Some short hills but there is a lot of shade. Don't forget to do the second lap! I had a fantastic run a few years ago. Too bad I left off half of the run because I couldn't remember whether I did the second lap or not.

Anyway, have a good race Sunday.

Scott
2008-07-10 3:35 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
It's a beach start. The water is kinda icky, but not too bad, really, for a runoff lake. Very calm water. Also a beach exit, so you can do dolphin swimming at the end. That's always fun!

The bike is a lollipop shaped course on rolling hills. The hills are not bad at all, unless you don't ever ride on hills, then I guess it might be hard. In and out of the bike course is coned off for a quarter mile, in such as way that you can't pass people. That ticks me off, as biking is my strength. So, I'd recommend hard and doing T1 FAST, so you can to get in front of as many people as you can .

The run is very nice and shady and mostly flat. I like this run course. And yes, two laps. Good luck!
2008-07-11 8:16 AM

User image

Apex, NC
I've done it several times, but not going out this year. I actually like the swim, but be prepared that the water has that red clay in it and you won't be able to see anything. As others said, it is a beach start, although they get you about waist to chest deep for the horn.

The bike course is hilly, but not like mountains. Hilly like everything around here. One thing to watch for is that 3 of the main downhills come to the same intersection and you'll have a right turn. You may be good on your cornering but you'll need to watch for others. They've always done a good job of sweeping so I've never seen any debris at the corners.

Good luck!
2008-07-11 8:55 AM

New user

Thanks for the reply's.  This race was a last minute decision to visit family and I saw it on the calendar so I thought what the heck.  I have a busy season with several more triathlons to go but I live sprints.  The waist deep start is perfect for me. I usually come out top 3 in age group with these starts but beach starts are different.  I get my breathing all out of wack running into the water and then have to breast stroke to catch my breathing.  I just finished my first xterra with a 100yd beach run followed by 58deg water.  This was not good for my breathing and I went from 4th in the water to mid pack swim finish.  The bike sounds good as hills in PA are my normal training. The downhill you talk about is fine but if the corner causes people to drift wide into oncoming bikes its not a good thing. This happend in FL70.3 and was almost a major crash. The bike times appear fast but that may be because the course is really 13.xx miles not 15.  The run times also look fast for many going under 20 min. Looks like NC has some great athletes and is a great triathlon training area.  I hope the run is short to because its my worst event. The pcb's dont scare me to much but you got me looking.  I guess if 1000 locals who probably know about the pcb's can race then I can.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triangle Triathlon Rss Feed