General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Olympic Distance coming up! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-10 4:20 PM

User image

Regular
Danbury, CT
Subject: First Olympic Distance coming up!
I'm doing my first Olympic distance tri next weekend. So far, I've only been doing Sprint distances. Any advice for doing the longer distance? I'm a little nervous. Thanks!

2008-07-10 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1521381

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: First Olympic Distance coming up!
On my first Oly many years ago, I learned I needed nutrition during the race to not have a major bonk, but never trained with much nutrition, so was clueless. I haven't made that mistake again.

Besides that it's just a longer sprint. If you've been training it shouldn't be a big deal.

Have fun.
2008-07-10 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

I just did my first Oly about 2 weeks ago, so no real advice here.  Have a plan for nutrition and make sure you follow it.  I don't know about you, but that 10k run at the end was not the most fun part of the whole thing.  I don't think I was prepared enough for the run.  The rest was great.  Enjoy it and don't forget to thank the volunteers.

Pattie

2008-07-10 8:33 PM

User image

I started running back in September of this year and decided to run the Guelph Olympic Tri (my first tri type event ever).  I have always been in decent shape and was running more to see if I could do it.  I didn't turn out a great time but I finished at 3:14:00.

What I found was just do the entire race at your own pace and you will be OK.  That is if your not racing to place anywhere special.  Think my next one I may try and pick up the pace.  I can't way to do the Bracebridge Half Iron distance to see how I do there.

Since you have been doing sprint distances I couldn't imaging an Olympic distance being that much tougher for ya.

2008-07-10 8:42 PM

New user

To me, the swim is the really different part. Done 4 Olys in the last 13 months. The keys to my race are: 1) Start the swim very slow. I think a swim warm up would go a long way to doing it better, 2) 1 bottle of Sport drink on the bike, and a gel or banana if someone will hand it to you as you go by, otherwise hit it in T2, 3) the run is 2 X 5K. The first mile is gonna be a challenge, same as a sprint, then just pace til the first 5K is over and let 'er rip as best as you can to finish. At that point it is just a 5K so go after it like you would a sprint, best as you can with what you have.

If you feel real bad when you finish you know you've done what you were supposed to. You'll probably feel a lot better a few minutes afterwards and by about an hour afterwards I usually think 'Ok I could do that again.' I tell myself it is just a supersized sprint with a longish swim in the front.

I don't run again til the end of the week but I swim and light spin over the first couple days afterwards. That's different for everyone. I'm 47 and maybe age makes a difference. Probably just fitness status though.

Good luck. I think it is a big mental jump from sprint to Oly because as a sprinter I didn't feel completely 'legit'. ("Oh, you just did a MINI-Triathlon"). Oly to HIM is more just a matter of putting in the training time IMO.

2008-07-10 8:45 PM
in reply to: #1521825

New user

Sorry but I forgot to add nutrition on the run. I usually will hit a gel during the run and whatever sport drink or water I feel like as I go, depending on temperature etc. Just do what you feel like and as the others said, enjoy it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Olympic Distance coming up! Rss Feed