Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The "official" BT SAILOR'S THREAD!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-07-14 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1526777

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC
Subject: RE: The "official" BT SAILOR'S THREAD!!!

'misscullen',

"Twofootitis" means a person who owns a boat and typically longs for a boat that's (on average) two feet bigger.  So then they buy, sail for a couple of years, and again start longing for something bigger and better.  It's like a disease with no cure... "twofootitis"

That's why you see the typical progression of boats one has owned, such as:  Sunfish/Sailfish, 18' O'Day mariner'ish, 22' San Juan, 26' Mac, 30' Catalina, 40+' cruiser...

You know what you should look into:  A HOBIE WAVE!!!  I think that's an awesome boat to have for several reasons:

1. The rotomolded (non-fiberglass) hulls are tough as nails and virtually maitenance-free!
  2. They're so easy to sail, easy to set up (you can do it by yourself), lightweight and can be towed by ANY vehicle.
  3. They're fast for their size.
  4. They have built-in cupholders.  Wink
  5. There's a HUGE active racing fleet!  And a it's typically solo racing.  All one-design.  The boats are identical, class-legal.  It's all about the sailor.  The best sailor wins.

You should check it out.  Cool

2008-07-14 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1525714

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

While I have all the respect in the world for our Naval servicepeople, commiting their energy, blood & sweat to kick us free...  this is a sailing thread!

Well.... OK.  I guess "technically", those subs do have sails on them.  And you're boats are heavily armed whereas mine is... NOT.  So I guess you can make any rules you damn well wantr to!  Wink

2008-07-14 11:45 AM
in reply to: #1522924

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Okay, I'll play.

1. What boats/boards/kites do you currently own? Names? Favorites?

We sold our J-24 last August before moving to land-locked Richmond, VA It was called Firestarter

2. Are you into racing, daysailing, cruising? Take any to the extreme?

What's the point of sailing if you're not on the layline?

3. What's the main body of water that you sail on?

I sailed mostly in Nantucket Sound and Salem Harbor, MA

4. How long have you been sailing? When and how did you learn?

I'm 33 and I don't remember NOT sailing.

5. What boats have you owned in the past?

Said J-24

6. What boats have you sailed on in the past?

Beetle Cats, 420's, Sunfish, J-24, J-30, J-35, J-105, Baltic 39, Soverel 39 (I THINK it was 39'), Frers 30, and a noth 40 footer that I am embarrassed to say I can't get out of my mouth. They are well-known, BEAUTIFULLY built off-shore cruisers/racers. I have spent at least 1 ssailing season on each. Others I have SAILED on I have not included. J-29's, Colgate 26's, scows, widgeons, etc.

I have been mastman, trimmer, bowpuke, dead weight and driver. Never tactician or pit man.

7. Any other boats you have your eye set on? Do you suffer from two-footitis?

Nope

8. What was your latest sailing-related purchase and from where?

Do excise taxes count?

9. What's your favorite sailing web sites?

None right now. Sailing anarchy is kinda fun now and again.

10. Tell us a good sailing story.

Heading downwind in 35knots of breeze with a squirrely boat and the chute up. We rounded up, dropped the tip of mast into the water, and had the boat pouncing sideways in the water as the chute fills and empties with each bob before we can CUT the halyard. I was literally hanging from the windward handrails with my feet dangling towards the water. If I let go, I'm not sure they would have found me.

Broaching on a 40' boat is SCARY STUFF.

Happened 2x that day. Pretty much same story. It kills me when people say sailing is boring.
2008-07-14 11:51 AM

User image

Elite
And there are alot of post race stories that are better left untold.

In college, I was on the sailing team at Syracuse University. Problem was, 2 years earlier someone had gone and punched holes in all the hulls of our boats. We didn't have enough money to buy new boats, or enough money to fix the ones we had. So, or sailing team was a sailing team without boats. We basically had practices where we skipped the practicing and went right to the drinking.

We waited to get invited to other schools who were hosting regattas (they had to supply the boats). We would go, finish last, and liven up the party afterwards. One particular trip to Kingston Ontario, we sailed out of Queens College there on Lake Erie. I remember the races like they were yesterday, and I remember most of the evenings in the bars (I was 19, legal to drink in Canada, and I had access to Cuban cigars), but I have NO idea where I slept. I think it was a couch at a crew team house. I don't remember seeing any of the people who lived in the house. I just remember lots of breaking glass at 4am...
2008-07-14 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1528032

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

D.Z. - 2008-07-14 12:45 PM

We sold our J-24 last August before moving to land-locked Richmond, VA [\QUOTE]

One of the two best days of a sailor's life!  Tongue out

Broaching on a 40' boat is SCARY STUFF.

You mean you weren't shrimping on purpose?!  Wink

... You know you're welcome down I-95/I-40 my way if you ever need to get your "fix" in.  Richmond... the land of cigarettes and NO sailing!  Eesh!  For a guy of your background to be 40 miles away from the nearest navigable body of water.  I feel for ya!  Cry

2008-07-14 1:07 PM
in reply to: #1527712

Sydney Australia
Subject:

2008-07-14 1:23 PM
in reply to: #1528381

User image

Elite
- 2008-07-14 2:07 PM

Bigfuzzydoug - 2008-07-14 8:39 AM

'misscullen',

One design is the only way I really like to sail.. All the rating crap is ... crap..

I didn't realize that until my first weekend on a J-105 for the Marblehead NOODS (I was PHRF guy mostly). There were 15 of us out there, and for one race, after 10 miles of sailing, 4 boats crossed within one boat length.

I also like it when you get a great start and you get good position as a result. As the slow boat in the class for many years, it was annoying getting the BEST START in the fleet, only to get rolled by a boat with 10' more waterline. One design is the way to go.

Edited by D.Z. 2008-07-14 1:25 PM
2008-07-14 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1528381

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC
One design is the only way I really like to sail.. All the rating crap is ... crap..

While I like the choice of boat I bought, whenever I race, I always regret it a little.  I'm always relegated to an open class because The P-18.2 is honestly, quite rare.  One of these days I'm going to seriously consider an F-16 or A-class or Wave one-design cat that has a large solo racing fleet.

Here's the start line, there's the gun, first one over the finish line wins.  No ratings, no adjustments, just NASCAR on the water with sails.

2008-07-14 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1528564

User image

Elite
Bigfuzzydoug - 2008-07-14 2:44 PM

While I like the choice of boat I bought, whenever I race, I always regret it a little.  I'm always relegated to an open class because The P-18.2 is honestly, quite rare.  One of these days I'm going to seriously consider an F-16 or A-class or Wave one-design cat that has a large solo racing fleet.

Here's the start line, there's the gun, first one over the finish line wins.  No ratings, no adjustments, just NASCAR on the water with sails.

You ruined a perfectly good thread by comparing sailing to Nascar...

Jerk.
2008-07-14 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1528603

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
D.Z. - 2008-07-14 2:52 PM

Bigfuzzydoug - 2008-07-14 2:44 PM

You ruined a perfectly good thread by comparing sailing to Nascar...

Jerk.

Plus I don't know if you will be able to hold your wind if you only turn left.
2008-07-14 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1528603

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

You ruined a perfectly good thread by comparing sailing to Nascar... Jerk.

Can't help it.  Mooresville, NC.  On the one hand it's known as "Race City USA", the home to most of the NASCAR team headquarters.  On the other side of town is Lake Norman.  Half racing, half lakefront... all growing money!  Tongue out

2008-07-14 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1528672

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

Plus I don't know if you will be able to hold your wind if you only turn left.

That's easy to overcome!  Just break wind and turn right!

baddah-bum!  Tongue out

2008-07-14 3:35 PM

User image

Elite
in front of my computer duh!
so here is a question for all you sailors out there. I want to live on a sail boat (thank you Mr. Buffet) any recommendation on the length of the boat I should be looking for? thanks.

PS I am not a millionaire so 80 and 90 foot yachts are out of the question.
2008-07-14 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1528994

User image

Elite
joemac3 - 2008-07-14 4:35 PM

so here is a question for all you sailors out there. I want to live on a sail boat (thank you Mr. Buffet) any recommendation on the length of the boat I should be looking for? thanks.

PS I am not a millionaire so 80 and 90 foot yachts are out of the question.

Depends on how many and for how long. Do you need STUFF? or is a good anchorage all you need.

It all depends on what you want to get out of it. I hope to retire to a boat someday with the wife, and a 45 foot trawler looks like MORE than enough. A sailboat is a different story though. 45' would be fine, but given our hobbies and how we like to live, a 45' sailboat might be a little tight. Figure 40' feet of usable space, by 15' beam and you've got what, 600 square feet? That's a little small.
2008-07-14 8:54 PM
in reply to: #1528994

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

joemac3 - 2008-07-14 4:35 PM so here is a question for all you sailors out there. I want to live on a sail boat (thank you Mr. Buffet) any recommendation on the length of the boat I should be looking for? thanks. PS I am not a millionaire so 80 and 90 foot yachts are out of the question.

My advise... Headroom will allow you to keep your sanity considerably longer. From most people I know that liveaboard, the "non-traditional" sailboats are most comfortable. A pilothouse boat or motor-sailor. While they certainly don't look as classic and pretty as your traditional flush-deck boat, if you're going to liveaboard, you'll want to be pragmatic and realize that living comfort will take precedence. Otherwise the lack of space will drive you insane.

A friend of mine has a 26'6" Nimble Kodiak that he rebuilt. http://seaweed.thebilge.com

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but if you check out his website with the pics of the interior, you'll see that if you had to live aboard something smaller than 30', something like a pilothouse can be considerably more comfortable.

Here's a shot of my father's old Hans Christian 42. Big, but honestly a bit of a squeeze for he and my step-mother. The boat was gorgeous, very seaworthy and classic. But in my opinion, not ideally arranged for 2-4 people to live aboard and there were especially no sailing or "sailboat" compromises made to make it more "livable".

That's my first-born, Gracie, when she was barely 1. She teethed on the large, classic, teak wheel and put little baby tooth marks all around it. (I have GREAT pictures of her aboard!)  To his credit, my father varnished right over them and never sanded them away. A testament to his granddaughter's contribution to his boat.

Think "outside the hull" and look at "unconventional" designs if you're serious about being a liveaboard. In the end, you'll probably be happier. You'll learn to love how the boat looks! Wink

2008-07-17 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

New sailing movie scheduled for major release this Fall!  Disney's "Morning Light".  Looks to be pretty cool!

Trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/morninglight/medium.html

Trailer: http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/morninglight/

2008-07-17 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1536672

User image

Elite
I've always been a closet Wind fan. Yeah, the whole Whumper sail at the end was garbage, but I thought they captured the excitement of sailing pretty good...
2008-07-17 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1529699

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Your dad's HC42 took me right back to my friend's 38..His was cutter rigged, though. Is your dad's boat a sloop?
2008-07-17 5:27 PM
in reply to: #1537961

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

alltom1 - 2008-07-17 4:53 PM Your dad's HC42 took me right back to my friend's 38..His was cutter rigged, though. Is your dad's boat a sloop?

Sort of.  Actually a Cutter otherwise known as a Bermuda Sloop which is a sloop with a double headsail and clubfoot jib.  The main headsail was a 150% roller-furling and the clubfoot was hanked on.  We also carried the spin chute, a storm sail and smaller roller-furling 80% headsail.  A loooooong bowsprit pulpit and "canoe" stern.  Built like a tank and very stable in the water.  We've had her through rough seas in a gale with winds topping 70mph.  Lots of teak.  LOTS of teak!  Oh how I can remember the hours  working on that teak!

I'll post more pics when I get a chance.

2008-07-17 8:46 PM
in reply to: #1538218

User image

Elite
IT was a Sabre 40 - the Jim Taylor designed sport/cruiser that was an amazing racing boat. That's the one I couldn't remember. Boy was that a sweet ride.
2008-07-18 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1538218

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Bigfuzzydoug - 2008-07-17 6:27 PM

alltom1 - 2008-07-17 4:53 PM Your dad's HC42 took me right back to my friend's 38..His was cutter rigged, though. Is your dad's boat a sloop?

Sort of.  Actually a Cutter otherwise known as a Bermuda Sloop which is a sloop with a double headsail and clubfoot jib.  The main headsail was a 150% roller-furling and the clubfoot was hanked on.  We also carried the spin chute, a storm sail and smaller roller-furling 80% headsail.  A loooooong bowsprit pulpit and "canoe" stern.  Built like a tank and very stable in the water.  We've had her through rough seas in a gale with winds topping 70mph.  Lots of teak.  LOTS of teak!  Oh how I can remember the hours  working on that teak!

I'll post more pics when I get a chance.

If you hadn't ever seen one, the 38HC is your dad's boat in smaller scale - 38 displaces dang near 37k pounds, huge-honking bowsprit, teak, teak and more teak, double ender, the whole shmeer - Boat was happiest in 30knots..70mph I'd rather not ever have to experience to find out how the boat performed. LOL.

I know the headsail was a 150% but the staysail is rigged a little differently, IIRC. My friend is a minimalist and had taken the roller furling off the headsail. Also, disconnected the refridg. and water heater.

2008-07-23 2:43 PM

User image

Raleigh, NC

Great thread!  Very interesting read...

Here are my answers:

1. What boats/boards/kites do you currently own? Names? Favorites?

Sunfish, soon a Laser, and perhaps in the future a Laser II

2. Are you into racing, daysailing, cruising? Take any to the extreme?

Racing, although these days ANY sailing would be great! Would love to get back into racing (could very quickly become "extreme"!)

3. What's the main body of water that you sail on?

Now, it would be Lake Jordan in NC

4. How long have you been sailing? When and how did you learn?

Been sailing for 20+ years.  Learned to sail growing up on Lake Michigan.

5. What boats have you owned in the past?

Same as now.  Brother had/has a Laser II.

6. What boats have you sailed on in the past?

Raced Sunfish, Lasers, Laser IIs, Penguins, Thistles, Enterprises, J24s, C&C 42, C&C 41, Frers 41 etc.

7. Any other boats you have your eye set on? Do you suffer from two-footitis?

See above... looking to get a Laser this summer.

8. What was your latest sailing-related purchase and from where?

Hopefully, a new boat coming soon! 

9. What's your favorite sailing web sites?

Not sure about this one...

10. Tell us a good sailing story.

Have to think about this one...

2008-07-24 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1527748

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Bigfuzzydoug - 2008-07-14 11:45 AM

While I have all the respect in the world for our Naval servicepeople, commiting their energy, blood & sweat to kick us free...  this is a sailing thread!

Well.... OK.  I guess "technically", those subs do have sails on them.  And you're boats are heavily armed whereas mine is... NOT.  So I guess you can make any rules you damn well wantr to!  Wink

Hate to tell you this but the Navy (in many places throughout the world) has been sailing as long as people have been sailing for pleasure. Yes I was being a smart a$$, but not trying to be disrespectful.

Scott
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The "official" BT SAILOR'S THREAD!!! Rss Feed  

of 2