General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon - Chicagoland Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Danskin Women's Triathlon - Chicagoland - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
Danskin Women's Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 9s
Overall Rank = 1267/3650
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 173/311
Pre-race routine:

Since we decided to stay at home in Chicago the night before the race, my morning started at 3:45. An ungodly hour, but worth it to not have to pay for a hotel room. Ate the usual PB&J sandwich and got ready. I was able to rack right at the Bike Out area, but it was overcrowded. With a bit of strategy, I was able to get everything positioned just right.
Event warmup:

Took the half mile walk down to the beach and waited a loooong time since we were Wave 24 and they went 4 minutes apart. Hung out with the hubby for a bit and made some new friends. Swam about 200 yards. Then threw up the Orange-Vanilla Roctane I sucked down before my warm up. It just didn't settle. Oh well. It wouldn't be race day if I didn't puke beforehand...right? Some things will never change.

I lined up and this year, my wave was the "Illustrious" triathletes.
Swim
  • 15m 28s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

During the offseason I put a lot of work into my swim. Last year's swim was a little over 19 minutes, so I was tickled pink to shave off 4 minutes from my previous time. I postitioned myself about 3 rows back from the front in the center area. The first 150-200 yards I went hard to fight for some space. Groped a few folks, got groped in return. Luckily there wasn't too much carnage. I was surprised how quickly I caught up to the back of the pack of wave in front of me and then it wasn't long before I caught up with some folks in the wave in front of them. I didn't notice the front of the pack from the wave behind me until my hands hit sand. I was hoping for a sub-17:30 swim, so seeing 15 and some change on my watch was really exciting.
What would you do differently?:

Do a better job of sighting and find a pair of legs to hang onto.
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Not too many folks treated transition with a lot of urgency. Many folks were walking to their gear and getting their bikes out. My rack was a freakin' 250 yard dash while hurdling over other folks gear from the Swim In area.

Do a better job staking out my own personal space there. But this is one of my faster transitions for the year, so I'm pleased.
Bike
  • 45m 35s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 16.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew that there would be an obnoxious headwind in the back half of the course, so I really focused on riding hard straight out of the gate. I've had conversations with my coach about how I ride too conservatively and was excited to push my limit and see how I'd fair. The winds were unrelenting and came at us from every angle (mostly headwind and an obnoxious cross-wind). I cracked jokes and encouraged other riders to pass the time since I get bored really quickly on the bike. In the end, bordering a 16mph average made me happy.

Embrace the wind and ride more in aeroposition.
Transition 2
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

I started having GI issues during transition. I felt crampy in my stomach and had to belch an excessive amount.

I wish I had treated this transition with more urgency. I was feeling lousy and allowed myself to walk, rather than run, out of transition. Remember to untie my shoelaces while setting up transition.
Run
  • 35m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

This was just not my day to go running. I was slow and sluggish and never found my rhythm, which is especially frustrating since running is my background. I was hoping to pull between a 10-10:30 average, so being a minute off my mark was disheartening. I took walk breaks and picked people off one by one...and got passed a ton. It was great to see Coach Mo out there and he rode his bike next to me for a half mile or so. This definitely helped me push myself since I really wanted to walk, but when your coach is there supporting you, there's no walking allowed. My stomach cramps never really subsided, but I pushed it into high gear the last half mile and emptied out the tank. Upon crossing the finish line I threw up a bit in my mouth (what is it with me and puking?!). Awesome.

Sucked it up and not walked as much when my stomach was cramping. There's nothing I could do about it at time, so why walk? It would've been far better to just get it done rather than hold myself back and be mentally whining the whole time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around...sipped on some water...complained about my stomach...and then took the mile and a half walk back to the car. Did some light stretching and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach cramps on the run. I have no complaints about anything else! :) I shaved 24:08 off of last year's time and beat all three of my time goals, including my super secret hope of breaking 1:45. Next time I'm going for sub-1:40 and just pushing it through the run.

Event comments:

I love this race. It was my first triathlon a year ago and it's a ridiculous amount of fun. A perfect event for anyone who wants a memorable experience for their first tri and wants a super friendly and supportive tri environment. My only beef is the whole drama with parking for this event. I still wonder why they don't offer an athlete drop off in the morning via car since the shuttles take forever...my husband had to drop me off at the highway exit since the roads were blocked off. It was about 1.25 miles to the race site.

Last updated: 2008-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:28 | 880 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/311
Overall: 633/3650
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Point to point swim in Lake Andrea...directly into the glaring sunlight.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:47
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:35 | 12.4 miles | 16.32 mile/hr
Overall: 1325/3650
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Shared out and back with a loop in the back end. Mostly smooth roads with the exception of one stretch where it was an older road with some loose gravel and cracks in the road. One water station between miles 6 and 7.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:58
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:19 | 03.1 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 2139/3650
Performance: Bad
Course: Running path around Lake Andrea with an out and back section in an adjacent parking lot. No shade. 1 water stop that you hit up twice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-13 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon - Chicagoland

2008-07-13 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1526280

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon - Chicagoland
Was just reading your report from last year and see this was your first race as well.

Congrats on killing last years time! It was such a beautiful day out today wasn't it?

2008-07-14 6:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Nice job - i was there and was amazed at the number of people. it was so cool. Beautiful day for a tri (except the wind on bike course - daughter was whining about that). Congrats!
2008-07-14 11:13 AM

Aurora, IL
Awesome race for you...I can only hope and dream of times I have seen on the other reports...but alas more training and I can at least better my times. 
2008-07-14 11:41 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Wow great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon - Chicagoland Rss Feed