General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Alternative race day nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-14 2:53 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Alternative race day nutrition

So I was out riding the other day and munched into a home made muffin I had taken along. It was packed with oats, raisins, wholemeal flour, yoghut and other good stuff. After a morning of sweet gels and drinks it tasted just sooooo good.

Later that day I was reading an article by Jon Ackland which stated prior to gels people used to eat and race on "real" foods with very few stomach problems. It's since the introduction of gels and the like that we have seen so many GI problems.

So what are some of the alternatives? Bananas, jelly snakes, dried fruit are some obvious ones, that I can think of but what else is a good alternative to gels bars and drinks?

Also what about non sweet ideas? Pretzels taste good after a long workout but are a pain to take along and consume. Anyone got some good non sweet ideas?

Gerrard 

2008-07-14 1:36 PM
in reply to: #1526790

Master
STL
Subject: RE: Alternative race day nutrition

i found that a few almonds with my 1/2 bannana was a good pick me up this weekend on the bike.

fig newtons. fruit snacks.

2008-07-17 7:12 PM
in reply to: #1526790

User image

Mountain View, CA
Subject: RE: Alternative race day nutrition
x2 on the fig newtons. I've been taking them on my long rides, and they're great. A bit sweet, but not as cloying as gels and such. I've heard of people taking baked potatoes. I can see putting pretzel (or pretzel thins, shaped like chips) in my bento box and eating them that way--doesn't seem too problematic. A homemade muffin would be awesome on a ride--maybe with less sugar if you wanted something not so sweet.

I like the idea of using fewer engineered foods and more real foods in my workouts and races, but I'm struggling a bit with how to carry them on the run. On the bike it's not a huge deal (although it might become one the longer my long rides get), as I have my bento box. It's a lot tougher on the run, where I don't like to carry anything in my hands or around my waist. I might just have to stick with gels there. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Alternative race day nutrition Rss Feed