Chatanooga, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic
Total Time = 3h 22m 41s
Overall Rank = 714/782
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 33/40
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race site early on Saturday and picked up my packet then went and grabbed a bite to eat. Got back in time to Hear Michael Lavato speak and that was neat. Then met up with some great Bters for some time at the aquarium and then dinner. Got up had a couple of gatorades and headed down to the site. Got the transition area set up and decided not to put my shoes in a garbage bag because I thought it would hold off from raining. Big Mistake. Loaded up on the bus and headed to the swim site.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm up. Hung out with Chris, Zeke, and Marty and talked waiting on the swim to start. we hungout on UTC football field so it was nice and plush. Drank some water got in line and got ready for a little swim.
Swim
  • 29m 27s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

We got in the water and they moved us to the start and while looking down the river all you could see was a big balck cloud so I though well this will be fun...So I got started and got in a pretty good rythm. I was sighting good and still moving ok them wap!! I was cold cocked. My goggles were knocked off and I just stopped and one was stunned cause when you hit someone that hard come on..andhow took me a minute to get composed and back going again. So finally I was back and just was not sighting as well as I though. my goggles were fogging up but still so so.Before we got to the first bridge it started raining so that was kind of neat actually swimming in the rain. So this kind of was off and on but still not sighting as well as I could but got to where I could see the big fountain so I knew I was close. Made it around the corner then up the steps and lets get through this long transition...
What would you do differently?:

I would just go harder. I usually try to stay pretty comfortable on the swim so I wonder how much faster I could actually be....
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

Got out of the water and man this is a long transition and it was great to hear all the people cheering especially Jessica, Andrew, and SHaun they were awesome! Got up the steps down the vendor aisle then once I hit the actual area I walked to get the HR down. Got the shoes on threw the glasses in my back pocket a gel in the other then out of transitions to see Jess, Andrew and Shaun again which really pumped me up!

Move a bit faster but it was a long area so I figured it would be that long..
Bike
  • 1h 43m 18s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 15.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Got onthe bike and just knew it was going to be a nice nilly ride so I prepared myself for that and well screw the preperation mentally cause it did not help! So weaved in through town then out on the course and started climbing. Now I like to joke about it but seriously I suck on the bike! But the good news is I am getting better. So the one thing I did notice was lots of people changing flat tires. I bet I saw about 10 people atleast. Anyhow pretty standard go up real slow then come down real fast!! But I can say I actually passed several people whcih I usually never do so that was a big motivational thinkg for me. Oh and I saw Michale Lavato coming back into town and he was hauling tail!!!(i just want to keep remembering that he finished last in his first tri..now I know I will never be that fast but we all will get better) So anyway hit the turnaround and back to town climbing again but then the fun began started getting hit with big ole rain drops then the downpour began. I just in the back of my mind was hoping I was not going to go down but it was raining so bad that I just knew it was going to be bad. Plus I also heard two ambulances. So the storm continues and about a two miles from town my aero bottle comes lose and I am holding it and riding as I go so that was not fun. Got back into town and started getting ready for the run.

Just keep training cause one day I will be fast on the bike..one day!
Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Well I knew my shoes would be soaked so it was decision time...oh and I saw Dale so that was good to to hear a familiar voice. So decided since I did not put my shoes in a garbage bag and mysocks were wet that just better to put as much body glde on my feet and go so thats what I did..worked..well mostly

Use a garbage bag.
Run
  • 1h 07m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I have to say that this was the best run overall in a race I have ever had. So started out and my legs actually felt pretty good so of course you go up a big ole hill and I ran three quarters before I stopped and walked but once I got to the top started back again. then made a turn up some steps over the bridge then down the long hill which was great besides the fact we have to come back up it on the way back. So hit the first mile mark and it was like 10:17 wow that is fast for me so I said lets just see what we can do today so decided to walk about a minute per mile and so on. As I was on the course each mile I passed i was under 11 minutes so even though I was hurtnig a little I was still excited. Hit the turn around and headed back in. Got to see all my buddies on the course as well which is always neat plus also saw some people flying out there!And I also passed people on the run.So knowing the big hill is coming up I decide to walk for two minutes then runthe whole thing...well I did not make it too far but I made it up a good way then once I started runnign again I did not stop. Down the steps around the corner and down the hill to the finish line where i saw Shaun, Andrew and jess again plus it was cool the little kids held out there hands for fives so of course I gave them all high fives. Crossed the finish line and was spent!

You know I ran hard and still I knwo I could of pushed a bit harder and maybe not walk so much. Who knows still a great run!
Post race
Warm down:

Got to my bag had a special message waiting on me..thank you by the way for all your support!Finished up and the talked with everyone before they left then sandwich beer and powerade!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am getting better but still would help once I drop more weight and just ride lots that is my focuse between now and Florida!

Event comments:

Team Magic is till a great group and put on a A+ race. This once is similar to a Ironman Experience!

Last updated: 2008-01-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:27 | 1640 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/782
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Point to point swim in the tennessee river
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:31
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:43:18 | 26.1 miles | 15.16 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Long hills lots of them!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:21
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:07:36 | 06.21 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back along the river
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-07-14 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2008-07-14 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1527723

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Great seeing you out there this weekend.  Now get your arse on the bike!  You are a better cyclist than that!!!  WOOT WOOT! 
2008-07-14 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Hey, nice meeting you yesterday. I was probably one of those 10 people you saw changing a flat.   Nice race.
2008-07-15 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great job Chris. Solid all the way and a super run!
2008-07-15 9:47 AM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA
Really good race!  Those hills are killer.
2008-07-15 10:37 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

"Well I have to say that this was the best run overall in a race I have ever had."

...best feeling in the world to be able to write that. 

Good job on keeping the positive attitude.  That is always an ace-in-the-pocket on any race day.

Now, like Dollar said, go ride your bike!

2008-07-16 6:03 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Wow!!  What a great race Chris!  Congrats on a great day and especially your run.  You rocked it!

2008-07-16 6:08 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
Way to put together a nice Oly!  You Rocked It!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed