General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Toes go numb on Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-14 2:43 PM

New user

Subject: Toes go numb on Bike

I am new to Tri, but have been a recreational bike rider most of my life. I am 6-5 250lbs, In the process of losing weight, I have been riding more and more. I have the split rear seat to releave pressure. Problem is, I still have some numbness on right side and after about 5 miles, my right big toe goes numb. I have always thought that it was due to my size and that there is nothing that can be done.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

cd

2008-07-14 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1528787

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Toes go numb on Bike
My feet were falling asleep regularly when I began riding.  I got rid of the socks so I could feel where I was putting the most pressure on my foot, moved my cleat up just a tad and started standing up on the pedals about every 15 minutes to let the blood flow.  Much better now.
2008-07-14 3:29 PM

User image

Veteran
..when I had my tri bike fit, my trainer noticed I have a very high arch..he told me flat out I'd experience numbness on long rides..my longest ride has only been 2 hours..so I don't know about distances farther than that..but I have yet to feel the tingle---high arch maybe?
2008-07-15 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

I too used to have this, but it was my little toe on both feet.  I'd suggest first that if you haven't been professionally fitted to your bike, you should do so.  Most places that fit include a free follow up sessions to make adjustments as necessary.  They should keep tinkering with your cleat position, or maybe even adjust your seat forward or back a bit to play around with angles... maybe even a new pedal/cleat combination.  For me it was a real bother... very distracting.  And it was downright uncomfortable when I got off the bike and started to run, although circulation would return a few minutes into that activity.

Good luck.

2008-07-15 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I have the toe-numbing problem, too. Only affects the toes on my right foot, and primarily only the 3rd & 4th toes. Generally hits me at about the 20-mile mark. I did a 73 mile ride last Sunday and was in sheer agony for the entire latter part of it. I use bodyglide on my toes to prevent any chafing and rubbing, but apparently it didn't help. The cycling shoes I wear are the Specialized Riata Women's MTB shoe. I wear them for spinning without any issues...but anything past 20 miles or so, and my toes start screaming. I've tried various different socks ranging from Performance coolmax, Smartwool, to my old standby Thorlo running socks...doesn't make much of a difference. If I stop and massage my toes for a bit, the pain and numbness subside for about 20 minutes...then it comes back, with a vengeance. I guess the next step for me is to see a foot doctor to find out what's going on.

Linda
2008-07-16 9:44 AM

New user

Thanks all for your suggestions and input. How should I have my seat angled? Should I point it down in front alittle? Should I lower it some?

2008-07-17 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA

Are you using clipless pedals, regular flat pedals or pedals with cages? When I had the toe cages on my bike I had this problem because I was riding in running shoes and causing pressure points. (from the soft sole of the shoe) Otherwise, I would check the placement of your cleat. There are several nerves running through your foot and if you're placing pressure in the wrong place - numb toes. Usually a cleat should be positioned so it's under the ball of your foot (or close to it.

2008-07-22 10:43 AM

User image

Pro
NJ
In addition to adjusting cleats, you can puchase orthotic inserts (not terribly expensive) at bike shop.  They give additional support/cushion to the metatarsels.
2008-07-23 11:56 PM
in reply to: #1548783

User image

Champion
MA

kcarroll - 2008-07-22 11:43 AM In addition to adjusting cleats, you can puchase orthotic inserts (not terribly expensive) at bike shop. They give additional support/cushion to the metatarsels.

^^ what they said.

I ended up buying the Specialized foot inserts and thus far my toe no longer goes to sleep and I have done plenty of 6-8 hour rides. Keeping your metatarsels from compressing is key. Compressing constricts blood flow and you lose feeling. You can try metatarsel pads but I found going with the $50 inserts were the way to go.

Edited by KathyG 2008-07-23 11:56 PM
2008-07-24 1:35 PM
in reply to: #1554557

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
KathyG - 2008-07-23 11:56 PM

kcarroll - 2008-07-22 11:43 AM In addition to adjusting cleats, you can puchase orthotic inserts (not terribly expensive) at bike shop. They give additional support/cushion to the metatarsels.

^^ what they said.

I ended up buying the Specialized foot inserts and thus far my toe no longer goes to sleep and I have done plenty of 6-8 hour rides. Keeping your metatarsels from compressing is key. Compressing constricts blood flow and you lose feeling. You can try metatarsel pads but I found going with the $50 inserts were the way to go.

Kathy...which color of the Specialized inserts did you go with? Looking at their website, I think there is a red, green and blue. I'm not sure what the differences are...think it might have to do with arches or something.

ETA - I'm already wearing Specialized cycling shoes, so wouldn't my shoes already have the insert in them? I was under the impression that all Specialized shoes came with their BG inserts. Anyone know for sure? Are the red/blue/green inserts that they sell seperately different from the stock insert already in the shoes?

Edited by nscrbug 2008-07-24 1:38 PM
2008-07-24 2:31 PM

New user

Update on me. I am not using any kind of clips or toe holders. I do not have cycling shoes. I am still in the early stages of my new routine. So I dont think it has anything to do with those things. I have a distinct feeling that the numbness in my crotch area is associated with my toes going numb.

As stated earlier, I have a Specialized split seat and it has helped alittle. What angle should I have my seat set to?  Should it angle down alittle or be level to the ground?

thanks for all of your advice.

cd 

2008-07-24 4:17 PM
in reply to: #1556528

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
cdelwood - 2008-07-24 2:31 PM

Update on me. I am not using any kind of clips or toe holders. I do not have cycling shoes. I am still in the early stages of my new routine. So I dont think it has anything to do with those things. I have a distinct feeling that the numbness in my crotch area is associated with my toes going numb.

As stated earlier, I have a Specialized split seat and it has helped alittle. What angle should I have my seat set to? Should it angle down alittle or be level to the ground?

thanks for all of your advice.

cd

Hmmm...you say that you think the numbness in your crotch area might be linked with the toe numbness? That has me wondering...do you have any lower back issues? Any herniated or bulging discs, sciatica, piriformis syndrome, SI joint dysfunction? The nerves in your lower back run all the way down the legs and into the feet and toes. There may be a connection, but then again...it's possible that it's just coincidence too. Hard to say without knowing more details. Do you have any leg pain (tingling, burning, numbness)?
2008-07-24 5:07 PM

New user

No, no leg pain or numbness. As with most older (getting older) tall guys, I do have some lower back pain. If I stand up on bike when it really starts to get numb, I can practicaly feel first my crotch (is there a better word?) then my toes regain feeling.
2008-08-01 2:46 AM

New user

First off I believe the above posts on what other are saying on biometrics are largle correct - especilly the poster that mention placing the pedal spindle (not nessicarily the cleat the PEDAL SPINDAL) directly over the ball of your foot. 

things to consider;

1: are both your cranks the same length.  the differance between 170 to 172.5 to 175 can be so small that you may not notice the differance until you actualy read the imprint (usually found on the inside of the crank arm near eaither the pedal or BB threading / splines

2: What leg extension do you have?  I find that a fully extended leg should have about a 5-7 degree bend in it when seated in the saddle - note that this may be to extreme for some (additional note - this measurement is for on-road only, for MTB / CX / XTERRA racing / riding you'll want a much lower saddle to be able to hover over it with you belly when traversing technical terrain - a common mistake that road riders apply when they begin using knobby tires)

3: a combination of the above two things - you could have uneven hips or a leg that is slightly longer than the other.  if your right hip is lower than your left or your right leg is vertically differant from your left you wil be compressing your nerves in your right foot in a different manner than your left foot - this could explain why your left foot is pain free

for a solution to a hip/ leg imbalance you MAY NEED two differant size cranks.  Note this is an extreme solution

4: shoe width.  many cycling shoes are built to a european shapped last with a thinner heal and more space around the ankle to accomidate the typical european foot.  try wearing a size wider on your right foot 

5: lower gears and higher cadence - try to spin over 100rpm; this will reduce the pressure on your feet from having to force down on your downstroke so much and will develop your upstroke - traditionally the weakest portion of your power output on the cranks - ride a track bike - see below 

6: a final thought - put your bike on an indoor trainer and get video of your pedal stroke from the 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock positions.  you may be able to self-diagnose a issue with your pedal stroke - if you do have a pedal stroke that's smooth on one side and chunky on the other the best fix is the most old school - learn to ride a fixie or track bike to develop a smooth pedal stroke; this techinque is common among professional cyclists  during the winter months when technique development takes precidence (relativly) over aerobic training.  Erik Zabel or laurent jalbert are two examples of top tier riders who ride fixies in the off season.

7: develop good pedal rotation by thinking of toeing thru the bottom of the pedal stroke - similar to scraping mud off the bottom of you feet. 

2008-08-02 8:10 PM

Veteran
All possabilities:

1) shoes too tight

2) you are not fit properly on the bike

3) you are not changing positions enoughm standing, switching on the seat, etc. Sitting in one positio ncan cut some blood flow to the feet and putting too muchweight o nthe feet can make them numb as well.
2008-08-03 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Just wanted to post an update on my particular toe-numbing issues. Today, I completed my first century ride...yahoo! More surprising than that, was the fact that I DID NOT have any toe numbness at all...for the entire 103 miles! What did I do different? Well...for starters, I decided to use my older pair of cycling shoes. They are a men's pair (I'm female) of Specialized Sport MTB shoes in a size 42. I had always thought they were a tad too big, so I replaced them a few months ago with the women's version in a size 41. I was told the slightly snugger fit was what I should go with...so I did. Well...after months of excruciating pain and numbness while riding in them...today, I decided to wear the old, bigger men's pair. Voila!!! No more pain or numbness! I guess it turns out that I need something a bit more roomier for when I'm road riding. I'll keep the smaller women's shoe to use for spin classes only. Oh...and on a side note, I also put in my Superfeet insoles in the shoes I wore today...which I also think contributed to a pain/numb-free 100 mile ride.

Linda

2008-08-04 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1557104

User image

Davenport, IA

cdelwood - 2008-07-24 5:07 PM No, no leg pain or numbness. As with most older (getting older) tall guys, I do have some lower back pain. If I stand up on bike when it really starts to get numb, I can practicaly feel first my crotch (is there a better word?) then my toes regain feeling.

If you're having crotch and foot numbness go to a professional and have your bike set up properly.  It's going to cost some money, but they'll be able to help that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Toes go numb on Bike Rss Feed