General Discussion Race Reports! » Arizona Road Racers Summer Series #4 5k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Arizona Road Racers Summer Series #4 5k - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Arizona Road Racers
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 17s
Overall Rank = 481/670
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 23/41
Pre-race routine:

Ate a Clif bar, drank half a liter of water, and drove four minutes over to the race site. Registered and did number pinning and chip attachment, then warmed up.
Event warmup:

A couple strides and a bit of nursing the bottle of frozen Cytomax. I had to go to the bathroom after this but the line for the five porta-potties was not moving at all, so I just went to wait for the race to start after debating going behind tree (and deciding against it).
Run
  • 30m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

After the first two miles I was overheating and had trouble cooling down because of the humidity, despite the bottle of frozen Cytomax I was carrying with me. I actually slowed to a walk three times to prevent myself from puking, but managed to make up time by sprinting to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

I started out at a pretty comfortable (perhaps a bit fast) pace but couldn't hold it with the heat and humidity. I suppose I could try starting a little slower next time in similar conditions, but once I get too hot I get too hot... so I don't really feel starting out fast was a bad decision here. I was trying to get it done before I overheated.
Post race
Warm down:

Poured some water on my head, grabbed a Coke and some pretzels, and hung out with moto_mort from BT.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The humidity.

Event comments:

Good, well-organized, cheap ($12 entry fee) summer race.

Last updated: 2008-07-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:17 | 03.11 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/41
Overall: 41/670
Performance: Average
Mile 1: 8:57 Mile 2: 19:00
Course: Mostly flat course through Kiwanis Park with a few very minor hills. There was a slippery off-camber grassy section around the lake where recent rains had flooded sand over the sideway.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-19 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA
Subject: Arizona Road Racers Summer Series #4 5k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Arizona Road Racers Summer Series #4 5k Rss Feed