TriNS
26C / 79F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 11m 41s
Overall Rank = 5/33
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

My plan was to train through this race; I had a solid week of training Monday to Friday and then we were travelling most of Saturday. I did a short run and ride on Saturday and then just took it easy at the motel with Victoria. Had a glass of wine and went to bed early. Slept very well but 5:30 came early. Drove to the race site, arrived about an hour before the start so get things setup and then a quick warmup.
Event warmup:

Did about 10' easy running with some pickups (15") but nothing crazy; legs didn't feel great but okay. Then I got on the bike for 15', felt good after I climbed the hill and was able to drop into the aero position and crank up the speed without much difficultly. Did a couple of 1' pickups to race pace and then back to transition. Got my wetsuit on, headed to the beach; Victoria asked about my swim cap so I had to run back and grab that before going back to the beach. After the brief a short warmup (about 6'); I was feeling the water very well and thought I would have a good swim.
Swim
  • 23m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a rough swim start; I expected to clear the field pretty early but as I watched Jay go, I was unable to go with him and then I started to get beaten up; I was hit three or four times and pulled underwater three times (in a field of 33!). I tried to focus on just swimming until I felt like I did on the warmup but I was struggling. There were quite a few swimmers in front of me and I was very frustrated; I've been swimming hard this year and wanted to be top 5 out of the water; I was planning to draft Jay (after giving him a ride last week) but he was too fast so I just focused on swimming strong and navigating well. After the first lap I loosened up a little but was quite a way back; I ended up at the end of a group of three swimmers so I dropped on the feet and swam with them for the next lap. Starting the third lap, we came out a little faster and dropped one of the swimmers and then we settled into a decent pace; I was starting to feel better and tried to leave these athletes but anytime I would start to move away, they would pickup the pace so I ended up just drafting right through to the finish. My overall swim time was okay but I never quite felt right. The worst part was seeing Tom out of the water in front of me after being out of the water 1:30 ahead of him last week (sprint - non-wetsuit).
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster! I think I need more time in my wetsuit; I haven't been training much in it since the water is so warm but I just wasn't feeling it today.
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Great transition; includes a run from the beach up a hill to the bike racks; no issues.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 41s
  • 37.37 kms
  • 34.14 km/hr
Comments:

I felt really good on the bike; coming out of transition just behind Tom I was working to keep him in sight. Unfortunately for him, before we hit the 5km mark, he flatted and was stopped for about 6' to change his tire. Early on the road Chris (2nd place finisher) passed me and was gone in what seemed like the blink of an eye. However, I had Jay and another athlete in sight and was working not to lose them for as long as I could. With lots of climbing the overall speed was pretty slow and I was focused on just working the hills and coasting down (although there wasn't much down going out). This is as strong as I've felt climbing and I was able to not only maintain visual contact with Jay but to make up some ground - after last week when he kept putting time on me this was a nice change. Between the 10k and 15k mark, Brent came riding by (ended up with the best bike split) and he was flying - I thought about trying to keep up but then thought better of it. Then I saw the leaders coming back and I thought I was about 12' back! However, the bike course was a little short so instead of 12' I was really 6-7' back. I still kept reeling Jay in and at the turnaround I was probably only 10" back. At that point he started to turn up the gas and he quickly dropped the athlete who had been following him and I started chasing. My goal was to come back to transition as close to Jay as possible and keep him in sight for the return ride as well. With the downhill the return trip was very fast and I was able to keep Jay in sight until the last few turns to transition when he put a couple of extra seconds on me. The athlete who had been following Jay was on my wheel for a bit, then he passed me but on the last descent I shook him and came into transition alone.

Nothing; really good ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Missed my stall running in - cost me a few seconds in transition.

Not run past my stall; otherwise nothing.
Run
  • 40m 24s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 02s  min/km
Comments:

The run started hot and hard and got worse. I felt worse on this run than I have ever felt even though it turned out to be a good effort. Out of transition I was putting some time on Jay but knew that either he was having an off day or was holding back a little. When we turned up the hill, I found out why - what seemed like a vertical climb took us up into town and I felt like I was going backwards. Heading out on the run there was an athlete behind me and I was in 6th; I wanted to put some distance on him and also move up at least one place as my goal was top 5 for this race. On the run towards town, I felt okay but when we turned to head for the first out and back I started to feel the heat; the iced sponges and water were great and helped keep the temperature down but I didn't know if I was going to be able to hold on. I was putting some time on Jay but we seemed to be too far back from everyone else and thought I had blown my chance for top 5. When I saw Brent (in 4th) he looked really solid and figured he was going to be able to hold Jay and I off. When I saw the leader the first time, he looked solid and seemed to be moving well so I refocused and tried to keep moving as quickly as possible. As we came back towards town, I was Tom and then Denis, both running well and that added some motivation to keep going. As we came back to town, Jay was starting to put some distance on me and closing on Brent. I knew that I had to get moving to limit loses to Jay and try to catch Brent to get 5th. I again refocused and by the final turn was able to pass Brent going uphill; he congratulated me for moving into 5th and then I focused on suffering for the final leg of the run; I was not giving up 5th without and fight and just tried to run down any athletes (all sprint distance athletes) who were in front of me. As I turned down the hill to the finish, I allowed gravity to do the work and ran hard through the line. Overall a decent run despite how I felt and a new PB for the distance!

Nothing; although I felt terrible it was a great run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking and talking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor swim and heat on the run.

Event comments:

Overall a good race; unfortunately not many athletes for a Provincial Championship but some of the fast athletes were there. I was able to put up a new PB for the distance and the bike and run (although the bike was short) and break into the top 5.

Last updated: 2008-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:36 | 1500 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 8/33
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca Evo
Course: 4 clockwise triangular loops with a short run around the buoy on the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:41 | 37.37 kms | 34.14 km/hr
Overall: 7/33
Out - 35:46 HR 163 Back - 29:50 HR 155
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back; mainly climbing going out with a nice downhill (and some tailwind) coming back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:24 | 10 kms | 04m 02s  min/km
Overall: 6/33
Course: From transition to town then two out and backs before finishing. If I had been leading the race I would have been in trouble because I had no idea where to go; I just followed Jay.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes