General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition ideas for first tri on Sunday? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-21 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Nutrition ideas for first tri on Sunday?
I usually do all of my training in the afternoon or evening, with my day planned out to fuel that training.  I usually feel very good in the afternoon, and I almost never feel that way in the morning, so I don't train then, except sometimes on the weekend.  This last Sunday was one of those times.  I started off at 9:30 for a 21 mile ride.  It was disgustingly hot and humid, but I made sure I had water before my ride, and I had my camelback full too.  As far as nutrition, I had a yogurt, half a clif bar, and a sugar free pudding for breakfast (total of about 300 calories).  I never felt good from the beginning, due to the heat, but I soldiered on, but in the late stages of the ride, I was going up the hills on sheer willpower and hating the thought of stopping.  I had nothing left in the tank.  All I could think of was nutrition and how this might affect me this Sunday, as I'll have from 5:30-7:30 to get fueled up (unless you guys can suggest something that will carry over from the night before) without eating too much.  Oh, and I wasn't hungry on the bike; I was just wiped out.  Any nutrition or other ideas to get this "evening warrior" into thinking about getting my best output in the morning would be appreciated.  Thanks! 

2008-07-21 1:15 PM
in reply to: #1546073

User image

Subject: RE: Nutrition ideas for first tri on Sunday?
You've got about an hour's worth of glycogen in the a.m. following your sleep (if I am remembering correctly).  Topping it off in the a.m. to get you through an 1.5 hour race (I am assuming a sprint?) shouldn't take more than a Clif bar or two, or some oatmeal, or a PBJ, etc.
2008-07-21 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Tough one, because you don't want to do too much different on race day than in training. What I have done before for running races (never done a tri before- first one is this Sat) is to have some toast with peanut butter (but I know I can tolerate that) and a banana or something. Lately I have been drinking accelerade before my weekend exercise (which is in the morning, as opposed to during the week when I tend to go at lunch). The accelerate seems to work well for me because it has some protein in it, but again, don't try this out for the first time on race day. Can you experiment a little this week with morning exercise and eating? How long is your tri? If it is a sprint you might be OK just having something light when you wake up and then doing gels or whatever you like during the bike? For a longer race, proper nutrition becomes increasingly important (IMO). I'm interested to hear what other's say because I struggle with this question every time I have an early race.
2008-07-21 1:22 PM

Personally, I never do dairy before a race or any training in hot weather. But that's just me - these are the kinds of things you need to test out well in advance, so you have a good game plan on race day.

Something fairly substantial and bland (ie, a bagel or toast with pb, etc) works well for some people - carbs, with a bit of protein, not too much fiber. But again, it really depends on personal taste. Some people can stomach bananas beforehand, some cannot, etc. If the yogurt/pudding combo made you feel like crap, I'd say try something else that you know will work for you.

Generall, it's good to try to eat early - about 2 hours before the event - gives the food time to digest and get into your system, and to settle, so you're not tasting peanut butter on the bike. The night before, I go for some carbs and some protein, maybe some salad. You don't have to overload on the pasta, but a side portion with some chicken or fish is a good idea.

Again - food is definitely a personal issue. What I've listed is what I generally do. Might not be the best plan for all.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-07-21 1:24 PM
2008-07-21 1:26 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
i was thinking that about the dairy...ugh...yogurt + physical activity + hot day?  no freaking way.  i always train early in the AM and do protein shakes and oatmeal. 
2008-07-21 1:26 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
i was thinking that about the dairy...ugh...yogurt + physical activity + hot day?  no freaking way.  i always train early in the AM and do protein shakes and oatmeal. 

2008-07-21 1:30 PM

User image

Runner
Cup of coffee.  Maybe a bagel.
2008-07-21 1:44 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
What distance is your race?
2008-07-21 1:46 PM

User image

Expert

thanks everyone who has replied so far!  It is a sprint distance for me on Sunday, and bread is not an option for me.  Chris, I was thinking along the same way with the Clif bars, but wasn't sure if I might need something more substantial or not.  My initial plan was a yogurt, clif bar early, then a GU at the start of the bike, water during, some quick gatorade at T2 transition, then water during the run.  The run is my weakest event, which is the only reason I am considering gatorade beforehand.  I see that getting rid of the yogurt is almost unanimous. 

2008-07-21 1:50 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Nutrition was not your problem (unless you skipped dinner the night before or something).  The heat, humidity and your endurance were your problem.  In other words, you suffered from fatigue.

As others have said, eat something small and easily digestible a few hours before your race next week and you should be fine (from a nutrition perspective anyway).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition ideas for first tri on Sunday? Rss Feed