General Discussion Triathlon Talk » did anyone do the KS 70.3 as a relay? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-21 1:52 PM

Subject: did anyone do the KS 70.3 as a relay?

curious as to what you thought?  very new to triathlons.  swimming is my weakest part.  thinking about doing this with a friend as the swimmer, husband running and i would do the bike.

is it a good race?  this was the first year right?  anyone drive the morning of from the KC metro area?  pretty easy drive?

2008-08-08 10:33 PM
in reply to: #1546232

Veteran
North Dakota
Subject: RE: did anyone do the KS 70.3 as a relay?
Was this an option??
2008-08-11 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
My fiance did this as a relay with Josh (crozetiga on BT) and a coworker. I think they all had a good time. A relay is a good option if you don't think you could do all three events (or if you just don't want to do all three). I personally think relays are fun (I've done a couple sprint relays) because you can go all out on your one event and not have to worry about the others.

We live in the Olathe area and drove to the race site the morning of the race. It took maybe 50 min, since the race site is SW of Lawrence. It is an easy drive, but I would recommend getting there as early as possible (or camping at the race site the night before), otherwise you could have a looong walk to the transition area.

As far as the race itself, I can't really comment on that since I didn't do it, but I heard that the bike course was super hilly and very crowded.
2008-08-11 11:32 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I forgot to reply to this earlier.
It was a good race (except Mother Nature had other plans), definitely!
The bike course has been described as "one of the toughest 70.3 bike courses in the US" as in hilliest if that gives you any frame of reference. Very tough hills, and many of them.

I'd recommend riding the course at least once just to see what you're in for. Also you can search in Race Reports to read what everyone else had to say about it.

Hope to see you there next year!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » did anyone do the KS 70.3 as a relay? Rss Feed